Question Chrome displaying desktop-style page view of html

MgFrobozz

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
I have a Galaxy A14 G5, running android chrome. Recently, for some sites, it has switched to showing a view of text-only html that is appropriate to a desktop screen, but with a text size far too small. This only affects two sites: gutenberg.org, and bleak_house.html, a file I downloaded from gutenberg.org on 2023-05-03. I had previously been reading bleak_house.html for several weeks, without problems, when (2023-06-11) it changed the font size to what is shown in the attached jpeg. The date stamp on bleak_house.html is still 2023-05-03, so presumably the file has not been modified.

I thought that I had accidentally activated desktop-view-only, but that is not the case. In the chrome menu, if I force desktop view for the sites, it does what is expected for all sites except gutenberg.edu and for the html file; the display for those two does not change at all.

Any ideas on how to fix this? I don't want to use zoom, because I'll need to drag each line as I read it, then drag back to the left-hand side of the display for the start of the next line.

Attachments

• screenshot_bleak_house.jpg
    screenshot_bleak_house.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

MgFrobozz

Mar 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm remotely inspecting the android chrome browser. In bleak_house.html, <head><style><body>font-size is set to "large". If I set that to 40px in the inspector, then the font size is nicely readable.

How does android chrome interprets font-size "large"? Has this changed recently?