Chromecast Saying Sideloaded Music can't play

kansasandroid1

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I just got my chromecast in the mail today an everything is working great except for when I try to play music from the Google Play Music app. It keeps showing up an error message saying the device can not play side loaded music. I download all my music free from another app that I got in the Google play store and have never had a problem playing my music through the Google music app. It works fine excpet for when I try to play it through chromecast. I am unsure if you are only allowed to play music that is bought through play store or not. I really would like to play the songs I have on here now without having to go purchase them. Any help would be appreciated.

ioo

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
Ya, Chromecast will not at the present time play video or music stored on your phone or tablet. You will have to upload the music files into your Google music account first to let Chromecast access them.

Posted via Android Central App

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Any chance you have a device with an SD card and that's where the music is stored?

I'm trying to find out if that makes a difference, but don't have a device that has one.

mrsimps

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Having the same problem. I have songs that I bought through Google Play that bring up that error message ("can't play sideloaded songs") when I try to stream them through Chromecast. What one commenter on another forum discovered is that even if music is uploaded to Google Play and/or even if you bought the song through Google Play, if the song that triggers an error is stored locally, on the phone/SD card, you will get that error. The commenter went on to say that when s/he pulled out his/her SD card and then tried to stream to Chromecast, using the Google Music app, that same song played fine. I did the same thing, and it worked...a song triggered the error message. I pulled out the SD card, went back to the Google Music app and tapped Play again and the same song streamed to the Chromecast; the song even continued to play when I slipped the SD card back in while the song was in the middle of playing. However, after slipping the SD card back in, I tapped play again, and the error re-appeared. It seems this something Google will have to address.

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Mrsimps, this is what I was referring to.

I have a number of songs stored locally on my Nexus 10 and my Nexus 4, that are also in the Google Play Music cloud. I'm not prevented from playing them.

A family member is having trouble playing songs that are stored locally that are also in the cloud. The only difference as far as I can tell is that they are stored on an SD card, and even though they are in his Google Play Music account, he can't play them.

Very strange.

martyha

Nov 21, 2011
Visit site
Yup. It definitely seems to have a problem playing any music from the cloud using my note 2. I have all music on the sd card *AND* in the cloud. I'm always getting the "cannot play sideloaded" music error. Sucks. They need to figure that out.

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Would that work for my iTunes files on my computer since I gave up on my iPhone and got a Android phone a year ago.

Yes. Google Music Manager will upload music from your iTunes folder. I do it all the time. :)

If you purchase additional songs via iTunes (ex: Someone gives you an iTunes Gift Card), it should automatically upload the new songs to Google Music Play.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Google anything + SD card is likely to feel a little disjointed on a go forward basis starting in approximately 2011.

PRMan99

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Screw them. I'm not loading all my music on the cloud. I'll write my own Chromecasting music player for Android first. This will play any local or DLNA music to Chromecast.

CaptainES

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
The problem has nothing to do with music loaded to the Google Cloud . My music is already there (bout 8 months now) and I still get the error. I notice that my Nexus 7 (Android 4.3) does not have this issue. However, my GNexus (Android 4.2) has the problem. I think the more logical explanation might be the software update??????

Reptile1990

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Chromecast has DRM built in. Hence the Netflix streaming. You're trying to play downloaded songs.

Well all of my songs are downloaded.. so, none of my songs can be played using my chromecast? I uploaded my entire music library to google music, and while i can't seem to play songs that I have stored locally on my phone, songs that are just on the cloud work fine. When I use my nexus 7, i can choose any song I want, and it will play. I think this is because I dont have any songs stored locally on the tablets internal memory.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
For clairification is this affecting BOTH music that is downloaded/saved for offline use via the Google music app AND music loaded to the device vial PC or other method?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter