Chromecast Saying Sideloaded Music can't play

neu smurph

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: So, Chromecast can't play Sideloaded Music or videos...

[edited by Moderator] I bought the thing because I want to play things from my phone/tablet without loading/storing it somewhere in the cloud, this seems stupid to me that I can't or that I have to keep all my media in the cloud that I eventually will have to pay for. Did I simply miss some portion of the description of the device that said I can't play media from my device? It's fine if I can play media from the cloud, not one of my requirements but ok, but I have to be able to play directly from my device. Is there an alternative small device like this that CAN actually play local media audio and video?

Plenty of apps cast local media to Chromecast - just not Google Play Music. Localcast is my pick as-well.

jvai

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
install vlc from the playstore..

I've used this to play movies from an OTG cable connected from my nexus 5 to a 64gb usb, while screencasting, the screen would go to sleep, & NOT alter the play!

works for your music also..

CKaelin

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Google music is saying I can't cast music I uploaded to google music. (Side loaded?). Found a work around by casting the screen. I'm a phish kid, I don't buy music! All my music is side loaded. Come on google! I bought a nexus 6 from you and abuse my verizon unlimited data! Thought we were on the same team?!?!

Posted via the Android Central App

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Google music is saying I can't cast music I uploaded to google music. (Side loaded?). Found a work around by casting the screen. I'm a phish kid, I don't buy music! All my music is side loaded. Come on google! I bought a nexus 6 from you and abuse my verizon unlimited data! Thought we were on the same team?!?!

Google Play Music can only Chromecast music that has been uploaded to Google Play Music itself, since the Google Play Music Chromecast app streams the music from the cloud and not from your device. You have to use a different application to play media that is stored on your device.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
can my encrypted internal USB have an effect on whether it can see or stream my music

Nope, because it can't stream music from your internal USB in the first place, encrypted or not. It can only stream music stored on the Google Play Music servers.