CM10.1 RC2 questions and opinions

Mastaking

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I am running CM10.1 M3 and it is extremely stable and smooth for me. When RC1 came out I flashed it immediately and a day later my phone was freezing up and rebooting so I went back to a clean install of M3 and I am running 100% again.

Now RC2 has been out for a couple of days and wanted to get your opinions on how it has been for anyone running it.

Do you think I should just wait for the stable release?

Also, since I am running M3, could I just 'dirty flash' RC2 and wipe the caches?

Posted via Android Central App

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I am running CM10.1 M3 and it is extremely stable and smooth for me. When RC1 came out I flashed it immediately and a day later my phone was freezing up and rebooting so I went back to a clean install of M3 and I am running 100% again.

Now RC2 has been out for a couple of days and wanted to get your opinions on how it has been for anyone running it.

Do you think I should just wait for the stable release?

Also, since I am running M3, could I just 'dirty flash' RC2 and wipe the caches?

It seems that the reboot issue from RC1 is gone in RC2, but I'd keep an eye out, as my phone slowed down significantly at times. Overall, it provides better graphics and speed compared to M3 and RC1 IMO.

That's your preference in mind. You can choose to stay on your current build of CM10.1 your phone is running and wait for a stable release, or you can use RC2 and perhaps a nightly if you're feeling adventurous.

You can just clear the cache, as you're updating the version of CM. This however will NOT work if you're currently using a ROM that's not from CM.

Mastaking

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
It seems that the reboot issue from RC1 is gone in RC2, but I'd keep an eye out, as my phone slowed down significantly at times. Overall, it provides better graphics and speed compared to M3 and RC1 IMO.

That's your preference in mind. You can choose to stay on your current build of CM10.1 your phone is running and wait for a stable release, or you can use RC2 and perhaps a nightly if you're feeling adventurous.

You can just clear the cache, as you're updating the version of CM. This however will NOT work if you're currently using a ROM that's not from CM.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I am going to give it a try and see how it runs for me. Are you using a custom kernel?

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot for the reply. I am going to give it a try and see how it runs for me. Are you using a custom kernel?

I'm only using the kernel already provided with CyanogenMod builds. I don't need overclock, since performance is smooth on stock vanilla android already.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Any time you dirty flash (don't wipe data) you run the risk of instability and issues developing. Any. Time. Just want to make that clear. Yes you sometimes can update to a new version of the same ROM with a dirty flash, but you are always taking a chance. Developers recommend you clean flash every time, and for good reason will not even aid you with support until you have done a clean flash.

:)

HNNNNNGHHH

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Any time you dirty flash (don't wipe data) you run the risk of instability and issues developing. Any. Time. Just want to make that clear. Yes you sometimes can update to a new version of the same ROM with a dirty flash, but you are always taking a chance. Developers recommend you clean flash every time, and for good reason will not even aid you with support until you have done a clean flash.

:)

The point is that you DO run the risk of ROM instability when you dirty flash, but it's only a possibility, not a guarantee. I've dirty flashed multiple ROMs already and haven't encountered a single fatal problem. (Then again, I only do dirty flashes when updating ROMs, not installing different ones.)

Even if something goes iffy, you always have that nandroid backup with you. (Assuming you create a backup EVERY time you flash a new ROM, that is.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sams_s22plus