Cold Temps & Droid Razr M

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
I leave mine in the car all day. Its been in the 20's and 30's for 2 weeks and I haven't had any problems with it.

Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
It should be okay. I work outside in the winter (construction) and my phone is in my pocket of my Car hart jacket and gets very cold and it survives.

You could always wrap it in a small towel or something just to give it a little extra warmth.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I would agree with the poster above who said wrap the phone in something like a towel, or maybe a sweatshirt. You should be alright.

Sent from my Sony Xperia ion

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
How would that help? The towel is not any warmer than the air that it's in.

At least covers the screen from having direct open air contact to have any bad affects of frost or condensation forming on it to freeze

Any protection is better than none

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

lewwill

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Most coats and jackets these days have an inside pocket made for a cell phone. I walk in temps in the single digits here in NH and no problem in the inside pocket.

Pete7874

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Most coats and jackets these days have an inside pocket made for a cell phone. I walk in temps in the single digits here in NH and no problem in the inside pocket.
The only difference is that if you have the jacket on you, your body heat is what helps keep the phone warm. If you leave the phone in a car, even inside a jacket, there is nothing there to keep the phone warm.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I think the best answer for the OP is that your phone should be fine. Any extra protection you can provide the phone by covering the screen or wrapping the phone in a small towel, etc. is better than nothing. I'm sure during development phase of the devices they are put through temperature testing and have been designed to take it even though its probably not recommended if avoidable on a daily basis.

The only real bad result I can see coming from it is possibly the battery taking a small hit on the temperatures affecting the internals of the battery. Although this is probably minimal and you would really have to do some serious comparative testing of different situations of temperatures to prove this is even happening.

Pete7874

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
FYI, this is noted in the User Guide:
extreme heat or cold
Don?t store or use your mobile device in temperatures below -10?C (14?F) or
above 60?C (140?F). Don?t recharge your mobile device in temperatures below
0?C (32?F) or above 45?C (113?F).
I would expect these values to be very similar for most smartphones out there.

uscsailor

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Define "cold temps". Cold temps mean something totally different to someone in San Diego, CA and someone in Fairbanks, AK.

Speaking of that, I just ordered a Razr M, and I hope it can withstand the freezing 50s we've been getting in San Diego

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

durango992007

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
This is just a suggestion, but what if you have music play during that time? Keep the CPU going to keep warmth, and it also shouldn't really do much to the battery.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

bigbadwulff

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
The only way wrapping it up will help is if it is on or charging(creating it's own heat). Otherwise, temperature is temperature. I'd leave it plugged in and charging and wrapped up. Better yet, carry it with you.