Constant loss of 4g LTE signal.. Hardware issue?

Parkdsw72

May 3, 2020
Visit site
I have an LG Rebel 4 from Straight Talk (runs off Verizon towers) which has been running excellent for the past few months with absolutely no signal issues. I usually had 3 or 4 bars and never lost connection.
A few weeks ago, I managed to break the small tab in the charging port and opened my phone up to see if I could solder on a new one. I did not replace the charge port and simply reassembled my phone back together. Ever since then, however, my 4g signal has been cutting off completely or dropping down to 3g at random intervals and times of the day, at least 15 to 20 times per day. My signal strength is usually between 90 - 98 dbm. Each disconnect may last from a few seconds up to a minute. When I am connected to 4g, the speed is much slower than normal.
I called Straight Talk customer service and was informed that there are no issues on their end. I tried a factory reset, reset my network settings set my APN, set my net work connection to 4g only, and other little things to no avail, so this must be a hardware issue, correct?
The Rebel 4 is very similar to the LG k8 and k10 in that the antenna has a plastic cover piece which pops off and has contact points on the underside which make contact with five gold prongs on the motherboard. Is it possible that one of these prongs aren't making proper contact? Or that the faulty charge port is somehow affecting the signal?
The odd thing is that when I am in the middle of playing a game (Flash of Clans) on my phone, I never drop or lose signal. Has anybody experienced this or something similar?
Any and all help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    337.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    368.2 KB · Views: 7

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. Thank you for creating an account and providing such detailed information.

Might we assume that the photos you've included are from a second time you disassembled the device?

Looking at the teardown video for this device that antenna is not easy to remove. It doesn't just fall out of the device. When reassembling it are the tabs all pressed in, and the steps of those screw holes pressed into position? Since the connectors probably float on some kind of leaf spring type springs those have been checked to ensure none were damaged, they all sprung back to full height, and everything was tightened similar to how it was from the factory?

I know I may sound redundant but if nothing was damaged, simply taking something apart and putting it back together should not have changed anything.

The only other thing I can think of is a post I saw not that long ago that involved similar issues where the charging port was actually the cause. I'll link that thread here when I find it.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Here is the OP's comment about the fix:
After disassembling and reassembling the phone at least 10 times I switched out the charging port, and now it connects to my carrier network perfectly, I have no idea how that worked but it did, thank you for the advice and comments everyone! I hope this post helps anyone else who decides to try what I did.

This is a link to the whole thread:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/a...board-samsung-galaxy-s9-plus.html#post6775352

Parkdsw72

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for your reply and the link you shared to the thread!

I've checked the connectors to ensure that they weren't damaged and are raised high enough to make contact to the antenna. I am pretty sure that nothing was damaged during the teardown process, so I am leaning towards your second suggestion. Perhaps if I simply replace the charge port, the connection will remain steady. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!

blackhawkhot

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
Thank you for your reply and the link you shared to the thread!

I've checked the connectors to ensure that they weren't damaged and are raised high enough to make contact to the antenna. I am pretty sure that nothing was damaged during the teardown process, so I am leaning towards your second suggestion. Perhaps if I simply replace the charge port, the connection will remain steady. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!

Don't touch the contacts. Clean with isopropyl on a Q-tip and carefully inspect them.
If the replacement part is higher than the OEM if could distort the antenna PCB, eyeball it.
Make sure it's making contact... try tightening the screw closest to the contacts first.

Parkdsw72

May 3, 2020
Visit site
Happen in safe mode mode also?

Unfortunately yes. Ive also done 2 factory resets so i know it's not a software issue. A friend of mine mentioned that my network configurations in the hidden menu might be wrong and causing the signal issues but I dont see how, if my phone has been fine for months prior and I didnt change anything.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately yes. Ive also done 2 factory resets so i know it's not a software issue. A friend of mine mentioned that my network configurations in the hidden menu might be wrong and causing the signal issues but I dont see how, if my phone has been fine for months prior and I didnt change anything.
Ok..refresh my memory what carrier you on?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotifyWord