Contact dup's for over 300 peeps help!

Tera Paleka

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
I have a Note2. I want to merge all my contacts as I see more than 1 google contact then there are the FB, Twitter, LinkedIn and regular phone contacts, I see like 4 or even 6 of the same person. I know I can "join" them. I have done this for over a year. I have more than 300 contacts:confused: and because I have had to replace my phone several times this happens again and again.
What can I do to have all my contacts merged into just one, have all that backed up onto Google so if I loose my phone or something it just restores to have 1 person instead of all these duplicates?
Also, I want to do that for my calender too... Help??? :confused:

ramonm2

Dec 23, 2010
ramonm2.blogspot.com
go to your contacts. Click menu, click merge with google and a little g should pop up next to everyone's name. and make sure every time you add a contact add it as a google contact.

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
You have to choose a contact, then menu, and link.
Personally I would start over.
Install contact remover.
I don't bother syncing my contacts, I export them to a file on my sdcard.
If I have to factory reset or get a new phone I can easily import them.

Tera Paleka

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Yea, that would be great but... I just looked and I have 1948 contacts.. No joke. I own a company that is state wide and have been in business for over 11 years. So.... I have a big database of past clients and contacts.. Uggggggggggg

brandonv79

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Just tried what firstov said and it worked. At least on the gmail contacts list. I haven't synced on my phone yet. It was really easy. click on the more button to the right of the groups button and click on merge duplicate contacts.

Nibs

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
My contact list is a mess also. I've tried managing them on google's end and the phone's end. I have hundreds of contacts now, there;s even people I don't know. Everytime I go through and fix the list up it just ends up going back to the way it was.

Mustachio

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
My problem with this is that I prefer my contacts to be Phone contacts, not Google contacts. Most of my Google contacts don't have phone numbers, so I don't need them to be in my Contacts. Most of my Phone contacts don't have email addresses associated with them, so they don't need to be in my Google contacts. The step-by-step method mentioned here excludes Phone contacts.

rocco225

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I understand this preference although it does somewhat diminish the sync capabilities of your android phone. If you make a change to a phone contact it will not sync on the Google side. Keeping every contact as a "google contact" will allow you to group and manage contacts more quickly.

My problem with this is that I prefer my contacts to be Phone contacts, not Google contacts. Most of my Google contacts don't have phone numbers, so I don't need them to be in my Contacts. Most of my Phone contacts don't have email addresses associated with them, so they don't need to be in my Google contacts. The step-by-step method mentioned here excludes Phone contacts.

Mustachio

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I have 888 Google contacts. Of those, about 75 are relevant. The rest are relative strangers that I've emailed perhaps once since I got my Google account, back in the old days when Gmail was still in beta. About 99 percent of this distant group don't have phone numbers in their contacts. Not even a name for most either...just an email address. You can probably see now why I don't want all that crap in my phone. I'd rather not delete the contacts from my Google account for various reasons.

What Google SHOULD do is add a Contact Group to their contacts that accepts Phone-Only contacts. That would let me sync up just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meta321