Decisions... Decisions... V10 or Droid Turbo 2

Powerplaygraphix

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Now that I'm paying the Verizon "Unlimited Penalty" of an extra $20 a month, I'm "allowed" to purchase a new device on their payment plan. When I first found out I could do this I considered the Note 5 because I'm an artist and the wacom tech in it is tempting, but the phone, in general, kind of underwhelmed me and I really don't think I would do any sketching on it anyway. I started really looking at all the ones available on Verizon and I think I've narrowed it to the LG V10 and the Droid Turbo 2. I'm wanting a good phone that won't be obsolete in a couple of months and that has a great camera. Both of these seem to fit the bill and have pluses and minuses. Both are really durable with the edge going to the "shatter proof" Turbo 2. While the Turbo 2 has a 21MP camera over the 16 in the V10, the V10 has a lower ISO so it gets more detail in low light. Turbo 2 has a better processor but the V10 has more RAM. Both have good battery life with the edge going to the Turbo 2. V10 has a brighter screen but the colors are truer on the Turbo 2... For every plus on one there's an equally compelling plus on the other one. Verizon is really pushing the Turbo 2 with some aggressive pricing that makes it cheaper. I'm not sure which is more important of all the above. I was originally leaning V10 since I have a G2 now and really like the back buttons and the knock features but the Turbo 2 is still pretty appealing, especially with a significant price difference.

Mickfl

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I had the v10 and returned it for a couple of reasons. I found the camera took fantastic pictures but the focusing was slow, maybe they could fix that with an update in the future I don't know.
It's built like a tank but IMO the edges are too thick for comfort. I came from the moto x line including my wife's 2015 pure and they are much more comfortable to hold.

It was nice having a DAC on a phone for music too. Good luck with your choice

Posted via the Android Central App

dkediger

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
I went through a similar dilemma. Started with wanting the V10, primarily for the camera features (coming from WP & 928/Icon). Ended up with a DT2 via Motomaker.

Besides the pricing favoritism for the DT2, the V10 was just a tad too tall for my pants pockets. LG leaving out the wireless charging coils was also a bit of a WTF when the part retails for $10. Finally, the novelty of Motomaker tipped the balance. In an ideal world, I would have access to both devices and be able to use them interchangeably.

Although, I would say both of these are equal to the Note 5 - neither outclassing it or being outclassed by it. My wife has the Note 5 so I can compare them directly over the long haul. Three really good phones for Verizon.

Powerplaygraphix

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Well... in all fairness, on the Wireless charging, you can get a leather back plate with the wireless charging coil for $12 on amazon right now for the V10 so it's not that big a deal. The screen brightness on the V10 is really nice but the color rendering on the T2 seems more true. Both, in comparison to my G2 are pretty darn good. The 4GB of Ram in the V10 over the 3GB in the T2 seems like it should give it the edge in most speed tests but the processor in the T2 is faster so who knows.

Powerplaygraphix

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
And... of course, they don't put them close enough together to actually be able to put them side by side and compare them. I would like to hold them side by side and run through some videos and pictures and just see how they came out.

Powerplaygraphix

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Just found, on another Android site, some pretty good comparisons on pretty much all aspects of the phones and others. This is a link to the camera but at the bottom it has all the other tests they ran including speed, display brightness and color accuracy, performance, and others.
Best of Android 2015: Camera Shootout

Looking at that one, between the 2, the V10 looks to be the better shooter. The BEST looks to be the Nexus 6P. Unfortunately, that one is not available through Verizon. I think it works on Verizon but it's not available through their payment plan.

CBreen28

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I currently have a V10 right now and I'm going to keep my note 4 instead of this phone. It's just way too big. Maybe it's not the actual size but it's just not comfortable to hold at all. The dura-grip or whatever they call it isn't very grippy. The steel sides aren't grippy either and are ugly imo.For a phone that size it woukd be way too big with a case. It's already a monster compared to my 5.7" note 4. I would just feel very sketchy carrying it around with no case due to the lack of grip and just the enormous size.

The 2nd display is cool though for when you're watching a movie and you can read a text without exiting the movie. The main display is great but just doesn't compare to a super amoled. I've compared countless movies and videos side by side w my note 4 and the year old note 4 blows it away. When viewing them side by side it wasn't even close. Everything just looked so dull on the V10. People say amoleds are almost too saturated, which in the past I would agree with, but it didn't seem "cartoonish" It just looked like the note 4 had a great picture and the v10 had the lcd ips dull greying/light bleed affect when viewed next to the super amoled.

I've used a note 5 as well and that display is perfection imo. Sold it though because the glass back was SO slippery. If I were you, I'd seriously consider a note 4. You can find brand new ones on swappa for under 400. One just sold for $335 brand new. Amazing display. Great battery life. Removable battery. Expandable storage. S pen features. (I use my to do list daily ) multi window feature. Gets very bright for outdoor visibility. 3GB Ram. 2.7ghz Snapdragon 805. TmSuper comfortable to hold....This phone is a year old but still one of the best phones on the market in imo.

Powerplaygraphix

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Wound up going with the T2 (for now). Being able to trade in a busted OG Motorola Droid for $200 off and the "UPGRADE" code made it a total of $300 off made it too tempting. The camera on the V10/G4 does look to be better quality in tests but I'm going to see if any apps help it and if the Marshmallow upgrade helps any.

Gremmward

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I was in the same boat a few weeks ago. I chose the LGV10, simply for the awesome camera, the DAC and the second screen. I thought the second screen would be a gimmick but I actually enjoy it more than I thought I would.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
I, too find myself in a dilemma on what phone to choose. Thanks for adding the Note 4 into my list of phones to look at. Kidding aside, I appreciate hearing cons as well as pros on different phones. The size of the V10 troubles me as well. It looks to be the same size as my iPhone 6plus but may not be as comfortable to hold. The T2 and Note 4 are intriguing as well. Does the T2 have exp storage?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The size of the V10 troubles me as well. It looks to be the same size as my iPhone 6plus but may not be as comfortable to hold

I wouldn't worry much about that. Most everything I've read leads to the V10 being an easy phone to hold. Mostly because of the back being grippy, much more grippy than any of the metal and glass clad phones out there right now. And grippy leads to confidence. I had a Nexus 5 and that was the last phone I owned that I didn't put into a case. I could lay it on my fingers and hold it nearly vertical without it sliding.

The 6Plus is quite the slippery beast.

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't worry much about that. Most everything I've read leads to the V10 being an easy phone to hold. Mostly because of the back being grippy, much more grippy than any of the metal and glass clad phones out there right now. And grippy leads to confidence. I had a Nexus 5 and that was the last phone I owned that I didn't put into a case. I could lay it on my fingers and hold it nearly vertical without it sliding.

The 6Plus is quite the slippery beast.

Yeah, the V10 is grippy. So far the phone with best grip that i use is S5. Espacially When your hands are a bit wet/sweaty, it's a grip beast. i can lay it on my fingers vertically without sliding.

Is the S6 edge very slippery? I want to buy it once the price drop. Should i use a case for it?

Posted with ❤Love❤

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Having owned a V10 for a month here are some of my comments on some not so well mentioned elements of its design...

>The multi-tasking split screen function only works between these functions: memo-note, text msg, email, image viewing, file manager, and youtube. So for example I can not open the www browser and jot down notes from the site in an email or text. You definitely can't play a game in one window and pause to take notes. I must have watched 30+ youtube reviews of this phone, all of them praised the multi-tasking capabilities, without mention ing its limitations.

>The ESS 32 bit DAC setting only works on the OEM bloat-player. You have to download the ESS-Everywhere app to engage it across all audio.

>The main camera lens can scratch easily. If your finger is a little dirty/dusty and you mistake the camera for one of the buttons.

>The Bloat that comes with the phone from Verizon and LG, is not all that bad. And there is some usefulness to them. Unlike other phones that pre-bloat best buy, bing and other purely commercial apps. The Amazon bloats are not bad for me since I am a Prime subscriber.

>The fingerprint scanner is buggy to say the least, regardless of having a case or not. The foil hack does not work for me. I have had to re-set (not reboot... re-set) my phone twice. I am done with it, I turn it off completely and use the knock codes. (a really GOOD feature IMHO).

>Its BIG!! No 2 ways around it. I thought I could get used to it, nope.

>For me the second screen is awesome. I thought it was more of a gimmick-response to Samsung. Nope its a very useful feature. I would not want to use a phone without it. I only wish it were more user-programmable. Instead of only 5 apps and 5 contacts, let me add some more.

>GREAT sounding headphone amp/DAC. Powers my AKG K701, and senn HD650 wonderfully. There are MANY times I prefer the sonics + practicality of the V10 over my dedicated home setup
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s450/muvotx/IMG_2336_zpscd0dd03d.jpg

>Its FAST(!!)... Don't let the slower CPU specs and various benchmarking apps fool you. It uses and manages its 4G RAM very efficiently and effectively. You can enable developer options and set the various animations to .5s... and its really fast getting around. My wife's 6S+ seems sluggish by comparison.

Last edited:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Is the S6 edge very slippery? I want to buy it once the price drop. Should i use a case for it?

I don't own one, but I've held a few in my day... and the sucker is pretty slick. On a dry, wintery day (i.e dry-skinned hands) the back is crazy slick. And the metal frame isn't exactly super glue. Frankly, every single one of the glass/metal framed phones are 'case only' phones as far as I am concerned. After seeing and holding the V10, I probably would slap a TG screen protector on that thing and call it a day, like I did with my Nexus 5.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
Well, I just bought a G4 on Swappa and it should be here by the 22nd. Paid only $305 for it. I couldn't justify spending around $150 more for the V10 for basically the same phone, with a few minor insignificant changes. It was a brand new phone and the manufacture date is 10/15 with a hardware revision 1.0. I'm willing to take the risk. I will be selling my iPhone 6plus for quite a profit. Pretty excited to make the switch back to Android, even if I did have to try and explain the reasons why to my wife. She made it seem like a bigger deal than it was. Oh and I'm on Verizon on the Edge program. I spoke with Verizon support and they verified that I could just switch phones and I'd still make the Edge payments just as if I were still using the iPhone. They said the only way that the iPhone could be blacklisted is if I reported it missing or stolen. So if you are wondering about this and if it's possible to switch phones while paying Edge payments on Verizon, it is.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe