Did a store rep install a task manager when you purchased your phone?

Did a store rep install and/or recommend a Task Manager?

• Total voters

joebob2000

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Bought it from verizon, brand new corporate store, brand new (to verizon) csr. No task killer was ever brought up. I am convinced this is nothing more than personal preference on behalf of the CSR. If they find out about ATK and like it (or at least like the idea of it) they will push it.

There is a reason that ATK has > 250,000 and a stellar rating in the android market...

CurlyDE

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
VZW, D2 and DX (DX was shipped, not in stock).

Sales rep installed ATK on the D2, also recommended installing on the DX when we received it. These are the first Android phones in our household (Blackberry previously). I removed it from the D2 after reading up on the subject and dealing with not so great battery life ... has been great since. Never installed a task killer on the DX and it has been fine also.

Prof-KOS

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Motorola Milestone at Telus. I was advised by a employee (who also had a Milestone) that I should install ATK. To be honest, nothing could have made the phone worse. Now I use a Nexus and no TK, since I know better.

jeffjeter

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Verizon store installed it before I could protest.

Of course, I removed it right away. Also, happened to a friend of mine. I tried telling her the ATK was not necessary and caused more harm than good but she's trusting the store's rep opinion over mine.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Can I vote twice? Not only did my Droid X on launch day come with it preinstalled (I wasn't even asked, it was just presented as a feature) but I went in and bought my wife a Dinc last week (she broke her ankle so she couldn't go herself) and the sales lady made a big deal about how she was preinstalling it and how she uses it several times a day on her X, blah blah.

They were otherwise competent and polite reps, so I just say there and smiled bemusedly while they did it and uninstalled once I walked out of the store...but seriously, where does this come from???

Feldhege

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
1. Yep. Best buy employee installed one on my brand new incredible before I even touched it.

2. It was Advanced Task Killer Free.

Sploinkin

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
OG Droid back in November. I asked what apps they could recommend and ATK was the most common. I never had a problem with it and could use it to keep Facebook in check.

I recently had my phone replaced and decided to try not installing it, seems like my phone gets bogged down and I have to restart it more often.

vtgrad03

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
I see a lot of people buying from best buy. Did you all know that if you buy your phone from a privately owned verizon wireless store that they can upgrade your phone about 6 months BEFORE the 2 year contract ends?! At least that's the deal that I get as primary of a multi-line plan, but maybe that's why. Not positive. Anyone else confirm an early upgrade?

I was told about ADK, installed it myself, and have used it up till today, but I'm second guessing using it now.

LACITYBOY

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
survey

SPRINT STORE

HTC EVO

Oddly, My salesman pushed the issue of adding a TASK MANAGER several times. He recommended a few but did NOT install. However, I did install one, as soon as I got home. Thankfully, a little education wised me up and I UNINSTALLED very quickly.

I thought it was a little weird how insistent he was, considering my new found wisdom.

luky7evens

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
1) T-Mobile G2 From T-Mobile

2) T-Mobile didn't do anything but give me my phone.

I went to best buy thou, I went looking for a spare charger for my phone and the rep said he would install one for me, I told him no then he recommend that I do it and wouldn't stop bothering me about it. So I "informed" him and then asked to see the manager and complained about it and got a free charger :) (wasnt even looking for free stuff).

I do use watchdogg thou.

thejke

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
1. Verizon
2. They gave me a list of recommended apps and Advanced Task Killer is number one on the list. The Verizon rep also told me that I would need one.

fuzzalicious

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
samsung fascinate

1-upgraded at verizon
2-nothing said about task killers

-question though, on the fascinate it comes with a task manager when holding the home key. does this get included in that catagory or does it make a difference that it came with the device?

The Twanksta

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
1) If you purchased your phone at the store, which of the 4 major carriers did you buy your phone from: Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile or AT&T?

SPRINT - HTC EVO

2.) Did the store employee install and/or strongly recommend a task manager before you left the store?

STORE EMPLOYEE INSTALLED IT BEFORE I EVEN GOT TO HOLD THE PHONE FOR THE FIRST TIME.

I BEGAN HAVING ISSUES SHORTLY THEREAFTER, RANDOM REBOOTS, ETC. I REMOVED ATK AFTER READING UP ON IT AND HAVE NEVER SINCE HAD AN ISSUE. I AM NOW RUNNING CM6 2.2 AND IT HAS ALL THE TASK KILLING YOU COULD NEED!

ALSO TO ADD TO THAT, EVERY ONE OF MY FRIENDS THAT GETS A NEW ANDROID PHONE HAS HAD THE SAME EXPERIENCE FROM MULTIPLE CARRIERS.

Aerimus

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I said, No they did not. But I'm also on AT&T with a Captivate, so it might be different. I can honestly say that every time I've been to a Verizon store, I've seen task killers on all their demo phones too.

souphead

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm on my 3rd (2nd replacement) Droid 1. I'm still having a lot of the same problems so I stopped by my local Verizon store for help. Without telling me what she was doing the rep installed a task killer app claiming it would improved my battery performance which was not one of the problems I mentioned. I had already been fighting with her about getting another replacement sent (she refused) so I didn't have the energy to go into why the F&#K she installed an app on my phone without my permission. I told her to give me my phone and I'd come back when she wasn't working. Before I'd gone 2 blocks I uninstalled the task killer app.

smccloud

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Sprint Epic 4G (bought at Best Buy).

Recommended that I install one, didn't believe me when I said they kill battery life. And then proceded to argue with me about it :(

Aerimus

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
1-upgraded at verizon
2-nothing said about task killers

-question though, on the fascinate it comes with a task manager when holding the home key. does this get included in that catagory or does it make a difference that it came with the device?

All Android phones have a "task manager" by going to the applications portion of settings. The samsung task manager allows you to kill apps similar to the stock setup. This is not a Task killer as you can't set it up to automatically kill tasks without you manually doing it.:)

narcoden

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Captivate at ATT store... Told me one of the first things I should install is a task killer but they did not install one on my phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals41