Did a store rep install a task manager when you purchased your phone?

Did a store rep install and/or recommend a Task Manager?

• Total voters

Tekka

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
It's not only carrier stores, Best Buy Mobiles circular has tips inside. One of them is to use a Task Killer. My girl had ATK running on her EVO said geek squad recommended it..

sugarhi980

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
1. Verizon (picked up an Incredible to replace the Eris I had ordered online.

2. No, they didn't mention a task killer. (But tech support suggested it when I called about Eris troubles - which I ignored).

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
i'm a vzw rep and i remove any task killer i see on a phone brought in

i've learned from android devs that they are no good, and have never installed one on any of my android phones

Reactions: Cory Streater

david7598#AC

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Best buy HTC EVO. yes they installed advanced task killer with out asking and then 30 seconds later i removed it and then said ummm this is not ur phone dont go installing crap on my phone...lol

Menno

Coffee Addict
Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
1. Verizon, Indirect Retailer

2. No, because I was the one who trained him :)

For Verizon, most reps only found out about android through trainings and whatever blogs they could find. When the droid first launched, EVERY SINGLE top ten app list included ATK, and reps were under the impression that it was required because most of them were coming from WINMO (which used one) or Blackberries, which can't handle memory well.

In the company I work for, Most of the reps will not remove ATK the instant they see it when people come in with issues, and they will refuse to install it. I know most indirects are the same way, at least around here. I can't speak about Corporate reps.

By now, a lot of them know better. It's not official policy to install atk, but it was strongly encouraged in initial training because no one knew better. Most review sites stated you need one (most mainstream sites still do)

Sites the AC are only really read by people who are android consumers (or people interested in it) most reps get their info from Phonescoop, Howard Forums, Engadget, and Cnet.

PowerUser

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
Bought Sprint EVO day after launch and store rep downloaded ATK and showed how to use it. I no longer use any task killers only kill startup apps killers.

Unfranchise33

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Yes, the first thing the verizon sales rep told us to do after getting our incredible was that we had to install the advanced task killer. It, he said, was the most important app. (store in Reston, VA)

ninj4

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
1. Purchased an HTC EVO from Sprint as soon as the doors opened that day.
2. The attendant immediately reccomeded and then promptly installed ATK.

I'm now using watchdog lite to kill only programs out of control!

m_jameson1

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Droid 2 VZW

My Droid Incredible was safe from Task killers since I purchased my device from VZW online. My buddy however was not so safe.

He just purchased his first smartphone/Android device last night. He picked up a Droid 2 in a Verizon corparate store. The woman who was getting him all set up did not let him leave before installing ATK. Smh

goliath602

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Nope, the only thing he did is open up the box and turn on the phone for me. We were just chatting about the droid X since he had one too. I made sure that he knew I know more about androids then the average person and that I wasn't a complete nub.

T-Bone

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
Purchased my Droid X at a Verizon store.

When I picked up my phone (my first Android) the sales guy recommended it, but didn't install it.

A few days later I had a problem with my screen. I brought it back to the tech and the first thing she asked was if I was using a task killer. I said no and she promptly installed one. If fact, she said this is something they highly recommend and install for customers on all their Android phones.

When I mentioned that I had read that task killers were not such a great idea, she looked at me like I didn't know what I was talking about.

moonrequiem

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Purchased my phone (Samsung Fascinate) at a Verizon Corp Store. I was told a Task Manager was absolutely necessary, and that the rep was going to install it for me. I asked the rep kindly to not and she obliged...however when I got outside and started playing with my phone...*sigh* she HAD installed it (Advanced Task Killer) and had it autokill every 30 mins.

Super...

jpgetter

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I went into verizon with my D1 because I was unable to receive picture messages after a number port. They told me to wait 15-20 minutes while they tried to fix the port. When I came back the tech had installed Advanced Task Killer on my phone without me asking. I almost dove over the counter to smack him! How can you be a Tech and think that ATK is needed with anything over 1.6 or one of the crap low-end android os phones? RUNNING SERVICES HELLO!

sjenkins1009

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Purchased my phone (Samsung Fascinate) at a Verizon Corp Store. I was told a Task Manager was absolutely necessary, and that the rep was going to install it for me. I asked the rep kindly to not and she obliged...however when I got outside and started playing with my phone...*sigh* she HAD installed it (Advanced Task Killer) and had it autokill every 30 mins.

Super...

Verizon Online, so I took the easy route, no preinstall. Although I will say, if i take it to the store and they try that s$#t with me, I will be the one to walk back in and speak with a manager. I paid for the phone, and decide what applications go on and don't go on. Not them. Especially after asking not to install the app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MRG582