Did the Nexus 4 get all the features of Lollipop or did it miss-out on a few compared to N5/N6?

saintforlife

May 1, 2012
Visit site
When Apple releases newer OSes, usually the older hardware miss-out on some features. Is that the case with the Nexus 4 also? Or did it get all the Lollipop feature that Nexus 5 and 6 got?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
When Apple releases newer OSes, usually the older hardware miss-out on some features. Is that the case with the Nexus 4 also? Or did it get all the Lollipop feature that Nexus 5 and 6 got?

It missed out on double tap to wake, as did the N5,I forget if the N6 has always listening voice commands but if so the N4/5 miss that too. Both are because they lack the necessary co-processor.

Wubba lubba dub dub!

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
How? Do you need to root/install a custom ROM for it?
Root, yes... Custom ROM, no, o am running it with the stock Google Lollipop image... You replace the boot image, or the kernel, with a custom one, I use Hellscore b65-L. This also allows for undervolting and lowering the minimum clock speed so it uses less battery and runs cooler, among other things.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Root, yes... Custom ROM, no, o am running it with the stock Google Lollipop image... You replace the boot image, or the kernel, with a custom one, I use Hellscore b65-L. This also allows for undervolting and lowering the minimum clock speed so it uses less battery and runs cooler, among other things.

I've not used hellscore... Have you used Franco, and if so how does it compare?

One of the few things I like about lollipop is the battery life, when I get a custom kernel installed and knock 100mV off I might even get a full day! lol

Also, do you use flashify? It's not working for me on 5 :(

Wubba lubba dub dub!

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I've not used hellscore... Have you used Franco, and if so how does it compare?

One of the few things I like about lollipop is the battery life, when I get a custom kernel installed and knock 100mV off I might even get a full day! lol

Also, do you use flashify? It's not working for me on 5 :(

Wubba lubba dub dub!
I have used just about every kernel out there for the Nexus 4, but I keep going back to Hellscore because it is so reliable, battery friendly, and cool running, and Hellsgod hangs out in the forums, unlike some other devs who never answer anything in the forums. It has just worked well for me and has everything I want from a kernel. The only thing Hellscore doesn't have built in is USB-OTG capability.

I do not use Flashify... after early issues with it bricking some LG G2's I got scared of it, I know they fixed it but somethings kinda stick with you. I just use TWRP 2.8.2 and/or fastboot.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Understandable, once burned twice shy and all that.

I'm trying to avoid using adb/fastboot. I'm pretty sure if I connect my phone to them, when I come away I'll have flashed KitKat!

Wubba lubba dub dub!

Ayush Jajoria

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I have Double Tap to Wake on my Nexus 4 with Lollipop... and Hellscore Kernel. :-$

Hellscore is so unstable dude , I've nearly like 2-3 auto reboots every day , after using it for a month i finally decide to flash the stock kernel back!, though i still miss that double tap to wake feature, but spob helps in it a bit :'(

Posted via the Android Central App

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hellscore is so unstable dude , I've nearly like 2-3 auto reboots every day , after using it for a month i finally decide to flash the stock kernel back!, though i still miss that double tap to wake feature, but spob helps in it a bit :'(

Posted via the Android Central App
Odd... I haven't gotten a reboot on Hellscore since KitKat days, b68 is rock solid for me... Using DT2W, UV by -100mV, UC to 189Mhz minimum CPU, and a handful of other little kernel tweaks. I do occasionally (2-3 times per week) get the unresponsive screen, but touching the screen with 5 fingers to reset the touchscreen driver clears it up every time.

One interesting thing though , the latest SimpleAOSP breaks DT2W with Ambient Display enabled, some conflict with Stratosk's DT2W implementation. SimpleAOSP has been good to me, but the last couple of updates have been a mixed bag of good and bad... I might move to something else soon, if I can't have DT2W and Ambient Display together, there isn't much keeping me with it.

MkVsTheWorld

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Another feature that the LG Nexus 4 doesn't have is Ambient Display. The LG Nexus 5 also doesn't have this feature because both phones have LCD displays. Since the Nexus 6 has an AMOLED display, Ambient Display is feasible.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Another feature that the LG Nexus 4 doesn't have is Ambient Display. The LG Nexus 5 also doesn't have this feature because both phones have LCD displays. Since the Nexus 6 has an AMOLED display, Ambient Display is feasible.

I had ambient display on my nexus 5, but switched roms and no longer have it. Having it is kind of nice, but not something I really need.