Do I want this phone or the Galaxy s3?

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
To the poster who said that the build quality argument was garbage, I really do know where you are coming from on a certain level. OTOH, hold one in each hand and it is nearly impossible not to come away with at least the perception that one is of a much higher quality build. Granted, a true assessment of build quality has to be based on a lot more than that, and the GSIII would fare a lot better after a true assessment, but it is hard to hold the Evo in your hand and not be truly impressed. At my age, maybe I just forget easily, but I am still continually surprised and how solid it feels when I pick it up.

I agree, but solid feel doesn't always equate to build quality. The OG EVO felt solid too, but was saddled with many hardware issues, from lifting screens, USB ports coming off boards, cracked plastic around the screen, etc. I 100% understand what you're saying though, the EVO does feel like a rock. But lighter doesn't necessarily mean not as solid

Sent from my EVO LTE using Tapatalk 2

a22matic

May 10, 2012
Visit site
I can add my two cents… I use my EVO LTE similar to your description above (I don’t play games though). I’m not rooted, and I’m not a power user.

I’m on my 2nd HTC phone after coming over from Palm. I owned a couple of Treo’s, then the OG EVO. The OG EVO was my favorite phone, just b/c it was so different than what I previously owned. I was afraid of an all touch screen phone, but after a day the fear went away. Fast forward two years and I now own the EVO LTE. Pre-ordered it like many in this forum, and I have no regrets. Best cell phone I’ve ever owned. The EVO LTE is solid in the hand, thin, and has a beautiful screen. Wow, I love the screen… I haven’t had the light bleed, screen lifting, and other build quality issues with my EVO’s. The kickstand is another favorite of mine, and I like how it can be used in 3 different ways. I actually use all 3…

I’m in ATL, and I get LTE at work, so I’m just happy… I can stream all day, watch YouTube video’s, and download music with no problems (and I’m inside a high rise that’s surrounded by other high rises). The phone is fast in my opinion. I get great battery life, and I can tell you it’s about 2 times better than my OG EVO. I do have a portable battery charger (Tylt Powerplant) for the times I won’t be around an electrical outlet. It’s come in handy for me… I was out of town for 5 days with my LTE and the portable battery saved me every day I was out of town. I used the phone heavily for video, photo, internet, and gps. I do notice the EVO LTE multi-tasking issue, but I can live with it (for how I use my phone). I would like to see an update where users can choose their preferences in regard to multi-tasking. The speaker isn’t as loud as my OG EVO, but that’s also something I can live with.

I will admit, I’m on my 2nd EVO LTE. The first had a bad prox/light sensor. That was annoying, and I tried to wait for it to ‘go away’. Well it never did, and I made a call to Sprint’s customer service. They put in an e-ticket for me, and told me where I could take it in (Repair Center). The Technician diagnosed the problem and ordered me a new phone. I had the new phone in my hands 2 days later. So far, the new phone has operated like a champ! FYI – the $11 insurance covered the new phone, so I didn’t have to pay anything.

Go into a Best Buy or Sprint Store and check them out in person. That will be the deciding factor you may be looking for, since you already have the feedback from users, and the specs of each phone.

bigrey81

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Htc supports there phones....you will find more complaints cause htc owners nit pick....samsung may never update there phones when there are issues

leftyman

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I really had a hard time with this but decided to go with the Galaxy..I really think the LTE is a beautiful phone but in the end both phones are close enough in specs, and what I would use either for that I really couldnt go wrong with either.
That being said the only thing that really concerned me and ended up being the deciding factor for me was the fact that HTC seems to be shifting their attention to other markets and closing ranks so to say and I wasnt comfortable with their situation and everything that might entail down the road.
Hopefully I made the right decision for me (and if not the Galaxy is going back and I will give the LTE a shot).
And thanks to everyone for your input, I received a lot of fair and impartial information and it helped.

Reactions: crzycrkr

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I really had a hard time with this but decided to go with the Galaxy..I really think the LTE is a beautiful phone but in the end both phones are close enough in specs, and what I would use either for that I really couldnt go wrong with either.
That being said the only thing that really concerned me and ended up being the deciding factor for me was the fact that HTC seems to be shifting their attention to other markets and closing ranks so to say and I wasnt comfortable with their situation and everything that might entail down the road.
Hopefully I made the right decision for me (and if not the Galaxy is going back and I will give the LTE a shot).
And thanks to everyone for your input, I received a lot of fair and impartial information and it helped.

I forgot to mention that. HTC is in rough shape right now, and the Galaxy seems to have become the iPhone of the Android world

RyDawgBoston

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I have both phones and I love both of them. The screen is better on the Evo, but the screen on the gs3 is great too with popping colors and contrast.

Build quality is great on both devices. I wish the evo was one piece of metal, because it is split up with plastic, it has a very weak pressure point and can bend easily.

I prefer Sense for stock, but I now use Apex on both devices.

Things I love more on the gs3 are: Menu button, popping colors on screen, faster wifi connectivity, faster Gps lock, home button, power button on side, drop down menu with options in notification bar can be opened up in any app anytime, multitasking is superb, change battery, better camera, better earpiece for crystal clear listening.

Better things on Evo: Screen is nice and bright, swype keyboard is superb, better pics gallery, great car dock, better stock Internet browser, Sense.

I am an HTC person at heart, but for a device that I power use and depend on, I choose the gs3. I need the faster Gps, multitasking, and menu button are huge in my life.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I have both phones and I love both of them. The screen is better on the Evo, but the screen on the gs3 is great too with popping colors and contrast.

Build quality is great on both devices. I wish the evo was one piece of metal, because it is split up with plastic, it has a very weak pressure point and can bend easily.

I prefer Sense for stock, but I now use Apex on both devices.

Things I love more on the gs3 are: Menu button, popping colors on screen, faster wifi connectivity, faster Gps lock, home button, power button on side, drop down menu with options in notification bar can be opened up in any app anytime, multitasking is superb, change battery, better camera, better earpiece for crystal clear listening.

Better things on Evo: Screen is nice and bright, swype keyboard is superb, better pics gallery, great car dock, better stock Internet browser, Sense.

I am an HTC person at heart, but for a device that I power use and depend on, I choose the gs3. I need the faster Gps, multitasking, and menu button are huge in my life.

Very true about the weak spot in the unibody. Is the camera really better on the GSIII? Haven't heard anything about it an everyone raves about the EVO camera

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
HTC radios >> Sammy radios
HTC updates > Sammy updates
Sense >>>> TW
Kickstand > kickstandless
Mustard on hot dog > ketchup on hot dog

:D

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Things I love more on the gs3 are: faster wifi connectivity, faster Gps lock,

Really?? Wow. Not saying I don't believe you, but that would be a first in my experience with Sammy radios vs HTC. Good that you're seeing the Sammy has improved in that area. GNex was horrible with those connections, GSII had issues, NS4G same...etc, etc.

RyDawgBoston

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Very true about the weak spot in the unibody. Is the camera really better on the GSIII? Haven't heard anything about it an everyone raves about the EVO camera

I'm very surprised at the weak spot in the unibody and how it passed HTC. I know of a few people who already bent theirs. Not bad, but still enough to be worried.. I got an otterbox defender to protect it.

I'm a photographer and have played with both cameras heavily and I am just amazed at the camera in the gs3 for a camera phone. Much less noise and shoots better in low light with less blown highlights.

RyDawgBoston

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Really?? Wow. Not saying I don't believe you, but that would be a first in my experience with Sammy radios vs HTC. Good that you're seeing the Sammy has improved in that area. GNex was horrible with those connections, GSII had issues, NS4G same...etc, etc.
I live in a building in Boston, and have various wifi all around and tested the wifi signal and which connects faster.

The gs3 connects in seconds, while the Evo can take up to a minute. On guest sign in pages, the Gs3 has a pop up notification, and the Evo you have to go to a website first and then sign in.

Gps is ultra fast on the Gs3. I know they fixed the radios in the gs3. I remember all the old Samsung phones were awful and is why I always hated them. Things have changed.

If the Gs3 had the same screen as the Evo, then it would be perfect.

My girlfriend and friends still can't believe I own a Samsung device, because I was such an HTC fanboy.

Samsung did a great job on this one.

Reactions: dtreo

top magoo

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
i'll jump in on this thread, since it's fairly relevant to my situation as well. i'm not sure of which hardware to go with, lte or sgiii.

my upgrade is available tomorrow. i currently have an OG evo, and have been assuming i'd go with the lte.

my cause of concern is the multitasking issue. i am not a huge power user, but my concern is pandora and navigation at the same time. it seems to me that is a "multitasking" situation (2 signals/processing functions running concurrently).

would someone be able to verify if that is an actual concern?

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I never had issues with the radios on my NS4G. They actually were better than my EVO

JN5586

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
A lot of people say the build quality isn't equal simply because the galaxy has a plastic backing. But, that plastic back doesn't serve as anything more than a cover and has little to do with the ovr structural integrity, fit and finish.

On the galaxy there's no play in any area of the phone, no squeeking anywhere. Same can't be said on the Evo. Sure the Evo feels better, but I guess that's preference as to how much that amounts to.

Reactions: crzycrkr

NYCB

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
i'll jump in on this thread, since it's fairly relevant to my situation as well. i'm not sure of which hardware to go with, lte or sgiii.

my upgrade is available tomorrow. i currently have an OG evo, and have been assuming i'd go with the lte.

my cause of concern is the multitasking issue. i am not a huge power user, but my concern is pandora and navigation at the same time. it seems to me that is a "multitasking" situation (2 signals/processing functions running concurrently).

would someone be able to verify if that is an actual concern?

I just tried it and they both work. the only thing is if u leave the voice on, it cuts off the music to speak, then the music starts right away. u can turn the voice off though and it`ll b fine

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I would say that the HTC is hands down the better phone. I am abusive to my phones (sorry to publicly admit that!) and my HTC (with the Invisishield to give credit where credit is due) has done and still is doing its job masterfully. I talked to a guy in a Sprint store (a very remote instance) and he said he's getting many more S3s in with physical issues. I am also a huge fan of Sense on this phone. The HTC has more than enough processing power to handle everything. The comments above have nailed it too with HTC's customer support. They are a phone company who made a phone specifically for Sprint. If that doesn't show a level of commitment to customers, I'm not really sure what will do it for you. I've not talked to either brand's customer support (knock on wood) but I am connected to a few HTC communities and they are wonderful. Also, being a person who values being appropriately unique as much as possible, this phone works for me. It is distinguished yet classy. I don't want to step on the S3 that much because honestly, besides not liking how it felt in my hands and talking to the one guy at one Sprint store, I really have no opinion on that phone. Really, it's a decision you will have to make and live with for the next 2ish years. I can not sing high enough praises for this EVO and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

Reactions: zmann

dwb3838

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Very true about the weak spot in the unibody. Is the camera really better on the GSIII? Haven't heard anything about it an everyone raves about the EVO camera. I have the evo and my wife has the s3 and we where taking pictures with the two cameras comparing them and she got upset because the evo pics where better than the s3 and I think the evo is just faster but the s3 does have a lot of extras the evo doesn't .

Last edited: