Do you ever buy a phone knowing you're not going to keep it?

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
Basically, trying it out playing with it for a few days/weeks.

Shockingly being an addict I've never done it. Up here we don't have any sort of fees for returns, so nothing stops me from testing it out.

I'm not fan of Google's Pixel but I do love my phones and I can't get myself to buy it. I guess it's the hassle of returning and what if I drop it.

I ask because I see a lot of threads about returning from any company, most is the iPhone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Not me. I'll only return something if it's faulty or significantly unsatisfying in some way.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
No, phones are irritating enough, the last thing I want to do is carve out even more time to screw around with another phone.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
A very good thread topic! Thank you so much for posting!

I am pretty set on a phone when I go to get it - I have never returned a phone before. I treat it like a commitment!

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
The only time I ever returned a phone and got a different one was when the one I purchased was defective, and the store didn't have any others to replace it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Heck, I even feel bad when returning something to Costco, despite their very generous return policy.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Basically, trying it out playing with it for a few days/weeks.

Shockingly being an addict I've never done it. Up here we don't have any sort of fees for returns, so nothing stops me from testing it out.

It would be wrong to use phones in that way at someone else's expense, so that stops you.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
I think it is totally wrong to buy any items with the intent of returning it after use. I have seen this happen too many times when I worked electronics at Walmart years ago. I think an item should only be return if not worked as intended or faulty.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm mixed on this , I mean they give you 14 days most to return it maybe you didn't like the size and wanted the bigger one or smaller version.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm mixed on this , I mean they give you 14 days most to return it maybe you didn't like the size and wanted the bigger one or smaller version.

You do have a point. That's one reason why I upgraded through my carrier this time. I was going to try out the S10e to see how I liked the camera and if I didn't enjoy it I would've returned it for the S10. But after weeks of deliberation I decided on the S10 and got that instead - knowing I could trade down in size if the 6.1-inch display was too big for me.

It's nice to know that there is a 14-day window to return the phone if I needed to - it's like an insurance policy of sorts.

me just saying

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site
IMO, there is a big difference when trying something for 14 days or whatever it is because you do plan to buy it unless it does not work for you. it is something else to get something just to use for a few days then return it.

anon(10181084)

Mar 2, 2017
Visit site
I only return when something is faulty. I am not a spoiled rotten rich consumerist. When looking to buy a new phone/tablet/laptop, I go do the EXTENSIVE and VERY NERDY research that involves reading detailed technical reviews (and NOT relying on non-tech-savvy spoiled celebrity so-called "TechTubers" like MKBHD and iJustine), browsing forum topics about a device I am looking at, looking at benchmark scores, etc... sometimes I go as far as looking at what specific chips are found inside a certain device if I can find the info.

Smply_Rckless

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Nope, can’t say that I have. I do a lot of research & watch reviews etc. maybe go to a carrier or Best Buy store & play around w it before making a final decision.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Here was the extent of my detailed research: S10e = small size, no preposterous curved screens > Sold!

That was what led me to want the S10e too! I'm sure I would have been happy with it as well! I loved that it had a flat screen and a side-mounted FPS. I've seen and heard that it's super fast! How are you liking it?

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
That was what led me to want the S10e too! I'm sure I would have been happy with it as well! I loved that it had a flat screen and a side-mounted FPS. I've seen and heard that it's super fast! How are you liking it?

It just settled in nicely and I'm loving it. It's a keeper for at least the next 3 years. Not sure what there is to dislike this phone, all positives as far as I'm concerned!

slivy58

Banned
Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
Nope never have. Only ever had one that was defective having it replaced w/same device. Usually do my homework (read/videos) prior so when it comes to a smartphone purchase, we are pretty confident we've picked the right one.

If reads/videos aren't enough we'll go to a place such as a kiosk w/working display units and/or, find someone I know who owns to get a better feel.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe