Do you Nexus owners have Galaxy S3 envy?

knightfall

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to the Android world and I've narrowed down my choices to the Nexus and S3.

I'm feeling really partial to the Nexus because it's the barebones of ICS and looks and feels nice to use. But the S3 just came out and I see the forums going ga-ga over it.

You guys seeing any pros of your Nexus' over the new guy? Am I a fool to not go for the S3?

I'm aware of the differences in terms of specs. But other aspects, I may not understand. (Rooting, future updates, battery life, repair costs, etc.)

I was considering heading out to Rogers today and making the jump from BlackBerry, but this 50/50 decision has me dead in my tracks.

iukreegs

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't have S3 envy. While it's obviously a better phone spec-wise, I still think the Nexus is a better bargain for an unlocked phone.

Mainly because none of the main improvements on the S3 are big deals for me. While nice, I don't personally need the best camera on the market or an SD card slot. Performance on the nexus is good enough for me that whatever improvement the S3 has in that regard isn't really enough to make me want it.

I'd choose Nexus again today when factoring in ICS unblemished (no carrier crapware) and don't have to root it in order to get newer versions of android when they come out.

I'm not a power user though and my last phone was a measly feature phone. But no buyer's remorse here.

TimV28

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Nexus any day over s3. The home button on the s3 screams Apple rip off. That and I don't like the color choices. I don't want a white or blue phone and if I do I will get a case.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Reactions: knightfall

knightfall

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the quick responses guys.

Are all GN phones unlocked? I'm in Canada and will be going through Rogers. Is going that route hold any negatives?

TimV28

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
I believe if you buy it from google then it is unlocked

wongl0786

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
For you it really depends. Spec wise, the Galaxy SIII wins in almost everything, but the only reason I don't have Galaxy SIII envy is because of the design and the fact that the Galaxy Nexus it is a pure Google phone. To me the physical home button and choice of color just doesn't look right to me on the Galaxy SIII. Additionally, the Galaxy SIII can have pre-installed apps that get in the way in contrast to the Galaxy Nexus which comes with no trace of bloatware. Besides, the price difference right now is about 400 dollars in favor of the Galaxy Nexus. With that money, I could get all the accessories I want for my Galaxy Nexus and still have a lot left over to treat myself. :p

knightfall

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I believe if you buy it from google then it is unlocked

I did try this, but unless I get it used or something, it looks like Google isn't selling to Canadians yet.

Sorry! Devices on Google Play is not available in your country yet.
We're working to bring devices to more countries as quickly as possible.
Please check back again soon.

:'(

iukreegs

May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you have to get it thru a carrier then choice is much more difficult as the price difference isn't near as much. Although note that Sprint and Verizon have the LTE version of the nexus and Google has the GSM version.

Wonder if there are any 3rd party merchants/stores that buy phones from google and then sell them. Might not be feasible with cost but haven't looked. Maybe options on ebay for new unlocked galaxy nexus phones.

Last edited:

tsp907

Jun 23, 2012
Visit site
Nothing the s3 can do overcomes the elegance of the any-provider-you-want flexibility of my gnex gsm. Liked it enough i bought my wife one. But you need signal so make sure you can get a sim card with adequate coverage. Pure clean android is fantastic.

knightfall

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks yet again, guys.

I really wanted to try out the S3, but Rogers (remember I'm in Canada so no AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon here) said it's been set back to June 27th now, and pre-orders are through the roof. As such, I had nothing to compare to, and couldn't get myself to settle on the Nexus quite yet.

It is cheaper though, that's something I've noted. $75 on a 3-year term, vs the S3 which I believe is considerably higher.

nipcarlover

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I got to play out with a GS3 a few days back and the build quality is positively horrendous..
It feels like a toy and doesn't have any proper "heft".
Also TouchWiz is crappy and tbh I didn't really notice a huge difference in smoothness other than the fact that it did not lag with LWPs.
And with Jellybean just around the corner, no envy whatsoever.

pinkfloyd1978

May 10, 2012
Visit site
For me both phones perform the same though nexus is highly customisable.

Nexus gets a plus one from me and now that 4.1 around the corner I guess will love my nexus more.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Hardware wise I want the better Camera and for sure the SD slot which I could really use.

The software far out weighs those 2 items. When will the S3 get JB? Oh yeah thats right...after the S4 comes out. lol:)

I am only looking forward to the next Nexus.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxolina