Do you really think software updates will fix reception issues??

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Re: Do you really think software updates will fix reception issue

I think there were definitely some bad SIM registration or bad phones with S3 causing reception issues for some folks.

Otherwise GS3 seems to be just right up there with Razr and Rezound on reception even in fringe areas. Actually even better when it comes to 3G/4G switching and no random data drops. And please stop judging them by looking at only bars/dbm numbers.

logan2k

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site

I think there were definitely some bad SIM registration or bad phones with S3 causing reception issues for some folks.

Otherwise GS3 seems to be just right up there with Razr and Rezound on reception even in fringe areas. Actually even better when it comes to 3G/4G switching and no random data drops. And please stop judging them by looking at only bars/dbm numbers.

Have to disagree with you on this one. Feedback in the forums seems mixed thus far and my own practical experience between the RAZR and GS3 has shown that the RAZR held a better signal than the S3.

Signal isn't as good as I would like it to be, but not a deal breaker since the S3 is the best overall phone VZW has to offer right now.

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

i have been testing all three devices for two days and i can tell you my s3 is dang near just as good as my wifes rezound and my friends razr . i have always stuck with moto for the radios but so far im totally content with this device . even in the fring areas where the razr and the rezound normally are the best i cant honestly say there any better than MY s3 . maybe i am one of the lucky ones that got a good one for a change ! and I can say for sure that im not seeing the random data drops i was always getting with my Maxx.

didiwags

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

i have been testing all three devices for two days and i can tell you my s3 is dang near just as good as my wifes rezound and my friends razr . i have always stuck with moto for the radios but so far im totally content with this device . even in the fring areas where the razr and the rezound normally are the best i cant honestly say there any better than MY s3 . maybe i am one of the lucky ones that got a good one for a change ! and I can say for sure that im not seeing the random data drops i was always getting with my Maxx.

I have also had no random data drops... Well any at all. My rezound was always dropping data and the transition from 4G to 3G sucked! There would be times I couldn't do anything till it finally dropped down to 3G in some areas! Half the time I would have to manually do it! Was not fun!

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Exactly ^^^ . and another thing i have noticed is even though the rezound and the maxx will say 4g in the fring areas as soon as you try to use it it drops to no G's and want do nothing for awhile till they finally swap to 3G or 1X whereas the s3 just goes on to 3G or 1x almost immediatly and keeps on working .

lbkiml

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site

So would a software update fix this or a new SIM card? (To those who are experiencing problems)

jtbndy

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site

To the original question, in my experience, nothing will fix a bad radio. I have a Galaxy Nexus with terrible signal reception and quality from day 1 and waited patiently for 4.04 which was proclaimed to improve reception.... well, I'm still waiting.

Software updates will not fix a hardware issue.

MOTH477

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

When discussing about signal issues, if we can't talk about bars and dbm numbers, how can we discuss the issue?

mpower13

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site

My S3 has been great. Reception right on par with my Motorola Droid X (which was very good). I got caught up early on with using bars and signal metrics to judge reception quality. That is a mistake. It's never an apples to apples comparison.

I've found a lot of the "samumgs radios suck" talk to simply not be true.

Reactions: didiwags

dubge

Dec 21, 2009
Visit site

well do the othe GS3s have reception problems? This could be a software issue if they do not because this is new radios never before used on verizon IIRC?

This could be something verizon did to cause these issues. I think what ever they changed with the wifi stuff, removing the toggle and adding the reminder might be causing the wifi issue?
I know I am having trouble staying connected to wifi and my battery life is a little worse with wifi turned on. I charged the phone and let it sit over night with 3g/4g on (was on 3g all night I think) and in about 8 hours I dropped 12%
Then the next night I turned on wifi and in about 7 hours I dropped 14%

something is not right there, my gnex didnt have the best battery life but it was better on wifi

musicman555

May 13, 2010
Visit site
So I am in Bloomington MN walking through the Mall of America with my new SIII. Now mind you, I am not in any stores, just in open areas. Throughout the entire mall, I had ve little to NO reception. As I post this, I am sitting in my home in Bloomington with off and on 4G and at times no reception at all. This is by far the best phone I have had, minus the reception issue which is HUGE, so I hate to return it. But damn...........Any thoughts?

I live in downtown Minneapolis and have had better signal strength on my S3 than my thunderbolt. I've been to the MOA a few times with my S3 and have noticed that the sign strength is weak in a lot of spots but it usually switches to 3g. In the back of a few shops it will drop sigal completely but my thunderbolt did that as well. Downtown and in Richfield I get fast 4G speeds on a consistent basis.

Sentrix

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I've gotten much better reception than my Galaxy Nexus.

babracmmm

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site

I got a replacement Verizon S3 and the wifi is much better. The phone signal seems the same. On my original phone my wifi signal was -92 or worse. This new one is -52 in the same spot in my house. The new phone has a new sim card so I don't know exactly where the problem lies.

jokout1

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
While I'm not a Verizon customer, this issue has been identified on a small percentage of GS3s across several carriers. Today I called US Cellular CS and received the response I have been looking for...they have received replacement units from Samsung and my new GS3 is on the way for Tuesday delivery!
I'm not sure how Verizon will be handling this but I had a well documented history with USCC on this issue so the process was rather simple and never in question! They just told me they would replace it, no problem.Shipped overnite air with prepaid return label!
One more note, this is NOT a firmware issue, and not a design problem, it is definately a Samsung manufacturing issue with a small number of units and replacement is neccesary! Also remember you are not guarenteed a new unit and most likely a refurb phone!

Cheers

hehubado

May 28, 2011
Visit site
Well i just dl'ed the update my signal seems to be the same...and my wifi signal still blows.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

hangnaround

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
No. Physical antenna issues with cellular and wifi. Hate s3 for it. But more and more manufactures just assume we are all living in emetro cities with towers everywhere.

Ron.buddha

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
First of all Motorola is well known for its great reception because of its internal radios. Also people are talking less on their phones so I think some manufacturers skimp on the radios because they "know" that people are using the phone as a phone less and less. Plus cost cutting could also be a factor.
The biggie I think though is that 4g has been overhyped by vzw. I live in a fringe area and the only way to make a quality call is to use the Phone Info app which allows me to put the phone in 3g. The dbm number is Wayyy better when I do this. I really have to hope that the Jelly Bean update(whenever that is) doesn't break that app. :-/ Supposedly by the middle of NEXT YEAR! the 4g network will be built out equivalent to the present 3g coverage.... We'll see I guess. Sim card...... probably sometimes. Internal radio.....definitely.... Big Time! Overhyped Network.... absolutely where I live. Solution.... Choose your phone very carefully! Read reviews. And don't listen to the vzw sales pitch that "all phones get the same reception" !

breeze

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
At my house the 4G dBm reading is -111 and the 3g reading is -94. That's a big difference. If others are experiencing such a difference it might explain the issues with 4G. I have no clue as to why the difference. I speculate that it's either a different tower for 4G (because of fewer 4G towers) or there are fewer antennas on the same tower.