Does my lg phone support screen casting?

Guest55

Aug 29, 2022
Visit site
Hi,

I have an lg android phone, and I was wanting to know if my device supported screen casting at all, like Miracast etc. I've been extremely concerned and paranoid lately that my phone screen is being shared or casted to another device like a TV, desktop or other mobile phone without me even knowing and I know a lot of lg phones have a built-in function to screen share/cast but I don't ever want my phone to be casted to another device so I'm really hoping that my phone does not support it.

I do not have any screen sharing apps downloaded on my phone like Chromecast, or any other third-party apps but my main concern was if there is an option to turn on screen sharing from the "Settings" app on my lg phone, because from watching some videos online on YouTube for lg phones, it shows they go to Settings, then Connected Devices, and an option to screen share but I do not have a "Connected Devices" in my phone settings so I wasn't sure how to access the Casting option to make sure it's off. I have an Android 7.0. Thank you so much for the help, and apologies if I'm posting in an incorrect section.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which LG phone? Is there an option to Cast Screen in the system settings? If so, that's usually Miracast, especially on older devices.

It would be extremely unlikely that someone is sharing your screen to another device without your consent or knowledge. Getting "hacked" in the Hollywood sense is very uncommon, and you can protect yourself by following common sense guidelines. See the following:

“I’ve been hacked” - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
[GUIDE] How To Avoid Malware - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Guest55

Aug 29, 2022
Visit site
Hi B. Diddy,

I have an LG Aristo phone, version M210. I don't ever have any screen sharing apps downloaded on my phone from the Play Store because I never want my phone screen to be shared or casted with anyone at all, however I don't see any option to cast my screen in the system settings. I looked all around in the settings, is there a way to check if my LG phone supports Miracast? From my understanding I could be wrong but isn't Miracast a built-in app and it's not something that can be downloaded from the Play Store so it can not be removed if it's there? Will refer to the links you sent me.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Looking up the specs for that model, I don't see any Miracast compatibility. I really don't think you have to worry about someone mirroring your screen without your knowledge, as long as you're not doing anything careless like what I mentioned in my linked guides above.

The 1st gen Aristo is a 5 year old phone, and is probably stuck on Android 7.0 (or possibly got 8.0, I can't quite tell from searching the web). Since you're so concerned about security and privacy, it would be a good idea to upgrade to a more current phone, since a phone as old as yours that hasn't had any significant updates will be vulnerable to many more security flaws than a current one. Pixel phones are the most reliable when it comes to regular security updates, but Samsung does a good job as well.

Guest55

Aug 29, 2022
Visit site
Thanks B Diddy, appreciate the assistance. If you don't mind me asking, how did you determine that I had a first generation Aristo phone, was it by the model number? I have actually been wondering all this time what generation my Aristo was, but I never knew it(I'm not very good with figuring out these kind of things) because all it told me in the "About phone" I would click "Hardware info" and it just said M-210 as the model number, but I could never figure out what gen it was, it may have been located in the phone somewhere but I could never find it. So basically LG is the name of the phone, M-210 is the model number, and what is Aristo considered?

Yes, security and privacy is very important for me as you can probably tell. :) Will definitely look into buying a more current phone at some point as you recommended, and I always am very careful with what I do on my phone like I have very few apps downloaded and none of them are screen sharing apps, and now that you confirmed that my Aristo M-210 does not have Miracast, I feel much more relieved, I guess that's why there wasn't any option to cast in my settings? Also, if my phone screen was being shared or mirrored on another device, would I know it? Like would I get any message on my phone saying that it's being shared or casted? Thanks so much again B Diddy for your help.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Any time I've casted my LG phones, I've had a notification. I would expect the same if yours is capable. Even if it is capable, casting is a short range communication. It wouldn't be of any use to a hacker. Even if they did find a way to do it, they wouldn't be able to get close enough to do anything useful with the info due to lack of reliable connection.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The LG M210 shows up as the LG Aristo. "Aristo" is the model name, while M210 is the model number. It's common for phone manufacturers to have both a model number and name. There have been 5 Aristo models, with the Aristo 5 being released in 2020.

I agree with Mooncatt, you'd know if there were a casting option on the phone and it was active.

Guest55

Aug 29, 2022
Visit site
Makes sense thanks guys, I would hope that my phone would alert me or give me some sort of notification if it was screen sharing or casting, is there a way I could confirm that my phone isn't being mirrored or shared?

Unfortunately this has been a worry for me for the last few days and it was all I could think about the whole day, I even lost sleep over this because I was so distressed if my phone screen was being shared with anyone without my knowledge, although I looked everywhere online if the Aristo M-210 supported Miracast but I couldn't find any results saying if it did or not, however if the casting option isn't in my settings, would it be safe to assume that my phone doesn't have Miracast or is there a way I can confirm 100% that my device doesn't have it? I think I would definitely be much more relaxed if I had a confirmation that I did not have Miracast on my device, thanks so much again guys have a good evening.

Last edited:

Guest55

Aug 29, 2022
Visit site
Sounds good will definitely try to stop worrying, I'm sure that my phone has never casted to any other device before, it's just me being overly paranoid for no reason and I really have no evidence that this ever happened, I definitely have and always will follow the common sense security guidelines however, so basically I would know if my phone was casting like you guys mentioned, it would not just cast randomly out of the blue. Thank you again for the reassurance it is much appreciated.