Does using Nova Launcher on the Note 8 hinder performance?

PainFX

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I have always been a Nova Launcher user, but in the past I have noticed that minor features that worked on Touch Wiz can become disabled.
I was wondering from anyone who switched to Nova on the N8... Have you noticed any features not working?

I also wonder what everybody's thoughts are on performance. My note 8 after 4 weeks is still smooth as butter. I haven't minded being without nova, except for a few customizations.
My concern is... do you think changing the launcher hinders the performance of a device?

I've been using Apex Launcher on ALL of my notes. No problems. I got the paid version..

kixfan

Apr 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for all the input people. I'm still hanging on to touchwiz at the moment.
I just added a dark theme to my N8 on touchwiz and I love it. Black background on almost everything and more pleasing to my eyes.
So my next question is... Do I lose the Samsung theming ability if I switch to Nova? Seems like that would be a launcher specific feature.
No not at all. I'm currently using Nova with a theme from Samsung store. Works great together.

reinbeau

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
I've been having a blast with folders, gestures, and customizing. Love Nova Launcher (I use the beta, and Sesame Shortcuts).

Gareee

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I've been having a blast with folders, gestures, and customizing. Love Nova Launcher (I use the beta, and Sesame Shortcuts).

I never found a user for the sesame shortcuts at all. I spill have never added gestures.. What ones do you find useful?

Lefty724

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Nova Prime is absolutely the first thing I install on any Android phone I get. The Note 8 is no exception.

I have nothing against TW, just like having the smaller icons, infinite scroll and gestures that I get with Nova. It's super customizable and is a great addition to any Android device.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Nova Prime is absolutely the first thing I install on any Android phone I get. The Note 8 is no exception.

I have nothing against TW, just like having the smaller icons, infinite scroll and gestures that I get with Nova. It's super customizable and is a great addition to any Android device.
Plus your setup, gestures, and folder arrangement can follow you from device to device without spending a lot of time. Just hit restore from a Dropbox/Drive backup. Doesn't matter if moving from different brands.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Plus your setup, gestures, and folder arrangement can follow you from device to device without spending a lot of time. Just hit restore from a Dropbox/Drive backup. Doesn't matter if moving from different brands.
Samsung UI does that now too you know :) (the restore I mean)

I have been a Nova Prime user for years but honestly have not felt the need to install it on my Note 8. Thats something!

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Samsung UI does that now too you know :) (the restore I mean)

I have been a Nova Prime user for years but honestly have not felt the need to install it on my Note 8. Thats something!
You can't restore if you're coming from a different brand. For example you're moving to/from a Pixel or a V20 or HTC10. If you're coming from another Samsung it won't matter.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
You can't restore if you're coming from a different brand. For example you're moving to/from a Pixel or a V20 or HTC10. If you're coming from another Samsung it won't matter.
Good distinction to make. And that's is very true.

I am finally back on Note series and no plans/interest in any other phones out there. Tried so many in most recent 3 years. Switching every 6 months or so but I am a grown up now, settling down with this beast of a phone lol.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Good distinction to make. And that's is very true.

I am finally back on Note series and no plans/interest in any other phones out there. Tried so many in most recent 3 years. Switching every 6 months or so but I am a grown up now, settling down with this beast of a phone lol.
Plus currently Samsung Experience isn't capable of replicating or matching the convenience I achieved for myself using Nova, like a a double tap swipe up/down to open specific apps, 2 finger swipes, having Messenger launch on a swipe on the Facebook icon, double tap to lock, launching a different camera app depending on rotating the phone clockwise or counter clockwise (one launches Microsoft Lens, the other launcher Samsung Optical Reader, since there's the double tap power for camera), among other things.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Plus currently Samsung Experience isn't capable of replicating or matching the convenience I achieved for myself using Nova, like a a double tap swipe up/down to open specific apps, 2 finger swipes, having Messenger launch on a swipe on the Facebook icon, double tap to lock, launching a different camera app depending on rotating the phone clockwise or counter clockwise (one launches Microsoft Lens, the other launcher Samsung Optical Reader, since there's the double tap power for camera), among other things.
Yep, totally agree and used Nova Prime for years. For some strange reason, I'm more than satisfied with Samsung launcher for now and I have had the phone since September 14th. Beauty of Android. Options options and more options :)

mz.choize

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Another Nova user here! Even when they didn't update for darn near a year! 😁 Like others infinite scroll, and smaller icons I can't function without. (didn't like running into Bixby everytime I scrolled to the 👈) Nova follows me to every tablet and phone I've used. 🤓

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Another Nova user here! Even when they didn't update for darn near a year! 😁 Like others infinite scroll, and smaller icons I can't function without. (didn't like running into Bixby everytime I scrolled to the 👈) Nova follows me to every tablet and phone I've used. 🤓
I was gonna say what are you talking about I just got the latest Nova update last Nov 20.... Then I realized I signed up for the beta program.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilliejoylene