does VZW charge activation fee when I add a new line and buy a new phone using device payment plan?

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
does VZW charge activation fee when I add a new line and buy a new phone using device payment plan?

I'm confused... I bought a few new phones in the last month. Each new phone was purchased by adding a new line and paid with Device Payment Plan. The order confirmation always had a line that said "one-time activation fee $0.00"

I thought they do charge $40 activation for activating a new line? If so, why does it show up as $0.00? I looked into my most recent two bills and there were no activation fees.

Thanks! :)

(note, I'm not talking about the $40 "upgrade fee" which Verizon charges if you upgrade a phone and renew a 2-year contract)

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
There isn't an activation fee if on DPP.

Posted via the Android Central App

since Verizon still puts "activation fee" on the order summary, I wonder which customers are charged this fee. Perhaps people who purchase at full retail price? :) (not people doing 2-year contracts because I've done that and it came up as "upgrade fee")

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I just ported back to Verizon for the $300 gift card. I got the Note 5 and there was NO activation fee

I spoke too soon. I guess I didn't read my Verizon bill carefully. All three new lines added using Device Payment Plan during late September / early October promotion for Galaxy Note 5 had been billed $40 activation fee.each. ($120 total) I guess I just didn't notice them in the printed bill.

Should I call Verizon and ask them what's going on? :(

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't give up easily... so i called Verizon again. spoke to the 6th rep.

She got her supervisor on the line. They gave in and said they issued me a $120 account credit(three $40 activation fees) as a "goodwill gesture" for me. I accepted it... but now I'm having second thought. By accepting the $120 credit, the issue was not resolved, since the $40 activation fees should NOT have been charged in the first place. Something is causing Verizon's system to charge me $40 activation fee automatically. If left unresolved, my next purchase of a new phone with Device Payment Plan will most likely still result in another $40 activation fee. Then again, I'm too sleep to argue with VZW again today... maybe tomorrow.

dusoccer10

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't give up easily... so i called Verizon again. spoke to the 6th rep.

She got her supervisor on the line. They gave in and said they issued me a $120 account credit(three $40 activation fees) as a "goodwill gesture" for me. I accepted it... but now I'm having second thought. By accepting the $120 credit, the issue was not resolved, since the $40 activation fees should NOT have been charged in the first place. Something is causing Verizon's system to charge me $40 activation fee automatically. If left unresolved, my next purchase of a new phone with Device Payment Plan will most likely still result in another $40 activation fee. Then again, I'm too sleep to argue with VZW again today... maybe tomorrow.

It's probably their system doing this http://www.droid-life.com/2015/11/11/verizon-activation-fee-device-payment-plan/ early.

SandersJC1964

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
You got your credit, the issue is resolved. Now there is a $20 activation fee for new lines on device payments, so that is what would be charged. Note this doesn't apply to upgrades.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
You got your credit, the issue is resolved. Now there is a $20 activation fee for new lines on device payments, so that is what would be charged. Note this doesn't apply to upgrades.

Nope.. it will still still be $40 activation for me. Just saw another $40 activation for a new line that I activated yesterday morning. I called back yet again. This time, they escalated the call and after 30 minutes, the reason was discovered. It's because I still have unlimited data on my account with an ancient 11-year-old voice plan. The supervisor said that until I switch to a "modern" Verizon plan(i.e. the small/medium/large/x-large data plans), I'll continue to see the $40 activation. However, he did confirm that I shouldn't be charged the $40 activation. He told me that I just have to call back each time I get a new phone on my account and pay with Device Activation Plan.

radrmd216

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Nope.. it will still still be $40 activation for me. Just saw another $40 activation for a new line that I activated yesterday morning. I called back yet again. This time, they escalated the call and after 30 minutes, the reason was discovered. It's because I still have unlimited data on my account with an ancient 11-year-old voice plan. The supervisor said that until I switch to a "modern" Verizon plan(i.e. the small/medium/large/x-large data plans), I'll continue to see the $40 activation. However, he did confirm that I shouldn't be charged the $40 activation. He told me that I just have to call back each time I get a new phone on my account and pay with Device Activation Plan.

Why Are you adding so many lines to your account? Are you adding them and then disconnecting them?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
isaacmause