dogs and "okay google"

aapold

May 15, 2011
Visit site
I ran into an unexpected problem...

I used to commonly use google now to send a text to my gf letting her know that I was taking my dogs outside. Really simple, "okay google, text (name of person) taking dogs out." This worked well at first.

Problem was my dogs (one in particular) also learned this command, and began to associate hearing "okay google" with "I'm going outside", and now starts barking happily the moment I say "Okay google". which means two things:

one - if i try to use a voice command anywhere near her I am now obligated to take her outside or I get a very upset dog...
two - her barking interrupts whatever I am trying to say to the point where it takes me several attempts to get a word in edgewise....

I'm beginning to think I need to spell it out: "Oh kay Gee Oh Gee Gee Ell Ee"....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I just picked myself off the ground and have wiped all the tears off my face due to laughing so hard. That story is priceless, and needs to be shared elsewhere!:D

One option I can think of is to bring up Google Now manually (i.e., long-pressing Home, or just tapping the microphone icon on the Google search bar), then say "text [xyz] taking dogs out." It's not as elegant, since it's not entirely hands-free, but at least your dog won't get that early warning!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamed-helmy