Dont understand how my sd card is full???

black05x5

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have been using a 32gb memory card in my Incredible. I have roughly 6gb of music on it. I have several episodes of tv shows and also a couple movies on the card also. I have been doing this without problem for several months. Now all of a sudden my memory card is full with only 3 or 4 tv shows and the same 6gb of music. I have moved several apps onto the sd card and also have about 100 photos on it. But this should be nowhere near 32 gb. I used Rock Player to watch videos. I've been using Rock Player to erase them when I 'm done watching. Is it possible that Rock Player is storing the deleted files somewhere on the card and that's taking up the additional memory space? When I connect to my laptop and open the sd card, the videos no longer appear in the folder so it seems they've been erased. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. If not guess i'll have to move all my music, photos and videos off the card and reformat it.

HKM

Banned
Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
First of all why not check the quota for your mSD to check how much is used and how much is free. Then go compare your data quota with total used and if you have way to much excess then its all cache data which you clear.

Make dir on root of your SD and label it "Files" under that make sub dir Audio, Video, Pix, Doc, Software. You get the picture and put all your verified data inside. This way you can easily track your stuff and compare it.

Total quota - verified content = leftover - caches = free space

Sent from my HTC Glacier

black05x5

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes I did buy the card on ebay. That being said, until recently I was able to put 15 or so tv shows on it and some movies. Now I can only put about 5-6 tv shows. The other things haven't changed- photos, apps etc. I've been keeping track of the space used. I have roughly 6gb of music. Have to check how much space the photos take up but can't be that much. What is the best way to clear the cache. I have an app called cachemate for root users. i tried that but didn't notice a difference.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
You need to plug it into your computer in mass storage mode (or remove it and plug it into the comp directly), open my computer/windows explorer and right click the card then click properties and see what your capacity is and make sure its a 32gb card
Then you can search the folders from there and find out what's taking up space. I would also recommend a folder system for your music and videos like HKM suggested.

black05x5

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have plugged my phone/sd card into my computer. I dont really see anything taking up a lot of space. Its really just music, videos, and photos. There are several folders on the card from apps but dont seem to have much in them. I've been using Isyncr to transfer music onto my phone. It puts it all in a folder called Isyncr on the sd card. Do I need a different folder system for my music? The one thing I have to double check is what the computer shows as the cards total size.

HKM

Banned
Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm don't tell me your another statistic and victim of THE notorious Chinese fakes. I didn't know people still fall for those as one shall never trust ebay with mSD card. Now that being said let's help you as I originally thought your card was legitimate.

Which company is the card from and what class? Go verify if they even produce it and if its reputable as you should never trust unknowns with your data. Do quick backup of your data by dumping all your files in PC. Then go download H2TestW and it will verify if the card is fully 32gb by writing and reading the contents back. From there you can see how much real quota is available and how much is corrupted, which is hexed card just show you extra quota then there is for example 2gb card made to look like 32gb when you get passed the 2gb its obvious all data beyond that will be corrupted as you don't have the phyiscal capacity storage to begin with. Hopefully you just got the card and can return it to sender by filling dispute with ebay.

Sent from my HTC Glacier

black05x5

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
When I go into setting/SD and phone storage on my phone, it says 29.71Gb under total space. Based on that I'm assuming my card is legit??

HKM

Banned
Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Did you read what I said? You don't know if its legitimate as it can be hexed to say 29gb when IRL its 2gb. This is why backup your data and test it so you can verify how much is real.

Google H2TestW 1.4 and download/run it and post back here the results. Also you didn't say which company this alleged card was from and what class.

Sent from my HTC Glacier

HKM

Banned
Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Well legit SanDisk 32GB mSD is class 2 but you get beyond class 4 r/w due to higher quilty build. If its fake go buy real one as they are like $70 also stay away from Kingston 32GB Class 4. Don't buy BS names like TopRAM, Centron, act. I recommend Patriot LX 32GB Class 10 mSD from Newegg as they selling for $99.

Sent from my HTC Glacier

black05x5

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hoping I may have found the problem. I downloaded an app to show what was taking up the most space on my sd card. It's telling me there is a folder called trashes. Looks like every show I've watched and deleted has been stored on the card. Problem is I can't connect to a computer at work to try and find the folder to delete them. They disable the usb ports here at my office.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Black,

Even if it says sandisk, doesn't make it so. Call sandisk and they can tell you whether or not it is fake. They have a database of every card serial #, etc.

black05x5

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to try erasing that .trashes folder tonight using my mac laptop. If that doesn't fix it, I will call Sandisk and try downloading the software to verify the size of the card. Thanks again for all your help guys!

black05x5

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
My phone is rooted with unrevoked. To be honest I dont actually know how many back ups I have? I was looking at my sd card last night and saw what I thought were Titanium backups??? I erased the one with the older date. Could you tell me how to check for Nan back ups?

Thanks

Wanda

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to try erasing that .trashes folder tonight using my mac laptop. If that doesn't fix it, I will call Sandisk and try downloading the software to verify the size of the card. Thanks again for all your help guys!

If your using a Mac try this...
Plug in phone so computer reads SD card and Phone memory.
empty the trash on your computer...not your card...go to the Macs trash and empty it.

sounds strange i know but when using a mac you have to empty the computer's trash to get the SD card to empty its trash...when you do watch the total gb's the computer is reading from your card skyrocket.

Reactions: looprication

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter