Dreaded green flicker on right side of screen

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm just curious to get your guys' opinion. Do you think I should cancel the replacement order? Or just go through with it? Since this phone malfunctioned once before. Maybe it would happen again? But it's totally been acting normal all day today so far.
How long did the screen flicker last? If it went back to normal, it can be tricky to determine the cause. Since the replacement is already in process, I'd continue with it, set it up when it arrives, then factory reset your current phone and then continue to use it during the grace period prior to the return deadline to see if the flicker returns (and this time just set it up as barebones as possible, installing only apps that are very widely used). If the screen stays normal, then factory reset it again and send it back, and make sure the replacement is set up in the same barebones way. If that continues to look good after maybe a week or two, then start installing your other apps one by one, maybe every few days, and watch closely for any screen glitches.

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I always use auto brightness. But now that I think back, before this all happened. Yesterday, I was using the maps in the car and I did get a warning that the phone was overheating and it went to dark mode. Then later on at night the phone was down to 30% and that's when it started doing all that stuff. I wonder if those things had anything to do with it?
FYI I took a video of me turning on the phone. As of right now, I'm now getting green flashes on both sides of the screen. IMG_2969.jpg

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
My husband's phone didn't have green screen, but his went blank and then when it came back on it was flashing like nobody's business. I took it to a local Google approved repair shop under warranty and it needed a new screen. They replaced it and he has no more issues. Seems to be some kind of quality control issue with these Pixel 7 Pros.

pchain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
My P7P started flickering 3 nights ago for the first time since I got it new in November. My adaptive screen brightness setting has always been turned off, as well as adaptive battery has also been always turned off. Some folks were saying these settings were the culprit but in my case they certainly were not.

I rebooted a couple times with no success - it still flickered.

Then I powered off the phone completely and let it charge to 100%. After doing this it hasn't flickered even once.

Weird. I'm a bit alarmed and disappointed by it. Hoping to avoid the hassle of getting a replacement.

Reactions: Tomster88

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
My P7P started flickering 3 nights ago for the first time since I got it new in November. My adaptive screen brightness setting has always been turned off, as well as adaptive battery has also been always turned off. Some folks were saying these settings were the culprit but in my case they certainly were not.

I rebooted a couple times with no success - it still flickered.

Then I powered off the phone completely and let it charge to 100%. After doing this it hasn't flickered even once.

Weird. I'm a bit alarmed and disappointed by it. Hoping to avoid the hassle of getting a replacement.
That's interesting. My replacement unit is on the way. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: pchain

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Something weird happened when I was outside today at my daughter's soccer game. The screen went dim in the sunlight after about 5 minutes of me using the phone. It must have been getting too warm and so it dialed back the brightness. I restarted the phone and after using it again, it did the same thing. Sounds like something that Apple does on their phones. To my knowledge there's no setting for this anywhere in the system settings.

This has me worried about when I use it in hot weather in the sunlight.

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Something weird happened when I was outside today at my daughter's soccer game. The screen went dim in the sunlight after about 5 minutes of me using the phone. It must have been getting too warm and so it dialed back the brightness. I restarted the phone and after using it again, it did the same thing. Sounds like something that Apple does on their phones. To my knowledge there's no setting for this anywhere in the system settings.

This has me worried about when I use it in hot weather in the sunlight.
I wonder if, when the phone heats up that it causes some issues. Like major issues. I hope your phone is okay! I've just got my new replacement set up and hoping this one lasts more than 2 months

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if, when the phone heats up that it causes some issues. Like major issues. I hope your phone is okay! I've just got my new replacement set up and hoping this one lasts more than 2 months
I sure hope heat doesn't cause problems. I'd definitely use the camera in the summer. I'd have a lot more things to photograph outdoors in hot weather than in cold weather.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I am really trying to be optimistic here, but I am having a hard time being 100% satisfied with this phone. Or the last two android phones I've had. I haven't had a good experience since the S9 and LG G6. I love the advertised capabilities of this phone, but the consistency and reliability of it is waning. Samsung isn't much better unless you opt for the Ultra. I settled for the S22+ last year and the camera performance was disappointing.

So far, since switching it to 1080p, it seems to run cooler and the battery is lasting longer. I may just keep it on this as I don't notice any difference in the resolution. But time will tell when it gets hotter and I'm using it in direct sunlight. I imagine someday I'll be giving in and switching to the iPhone in a couple of years. But the longer I stay with Android, the harder it becomes to stay with them.

I do love all the Google apps and services on the Pixel and android phones, but the hardware is just not as good as Apple's. I don't want to switch at all because of the hardware because iOS is atrocious.

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I am really trying to be optimistic here, but I am having a hard time being 100% satisfied with this phone. Or the last two android phones I've had. I haven't had a good experience since the S9 and LG G6. I love the advertised capabilities of this phone, but the consistency and reliability of it is waning. Samsung isn't much better unless you opt for the Ultra. I settled for the S22+ last year and the camera performance was disappointing.

So far, since switching it to 1080p, it seems to run cooler and the battery is lasting longer. I may just keep it on this as I don't notice any difference in the resolution. But time will tell when it gets hotter and I'm using it in direct sunlight. I imagine someday I'll be giving in and switching to the iPhone in a couple of years. But the longer I stay with Android, the harder it becomes to stay with them.

I do love all the Google apps and services on the Pixel and android phones, but the hardware is just not as good as Apple's. I don't want to switch at all because of the hardware because iOS is atrocious.
I kind of feel the same way as you do. I don't have confidence in this phone right now because this is the second phone I've had to replace with that green flicker issue. I'm really hoping this new replacement last. But I thought about going to an iPhone as well. I love the Google apps, I love stock, android, or Google's version of it, I really like Android 13. But I need something that's reliable and going to last at least 3 to 4 years. Keep us posted on how your phone is doing. I'll do the same!

Reactions: Joshua Luther1

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I kind of feel the same way as you do. I don't have confidence in this phone right now because this is the second phone I've had to replace with that green flicker issue. I'm really hoping this new replacement last. But I thought about going to an iPhone as well. I love the Google apps, I love stock, android, or Google's version of it, I really like Android 13. But I need something that's reliable and going to last at least 3 to 4 years. Keep us posted on how your phone is doing. I'll do the same!
I'm kinda stuck with this phone as I am paying on this and I'm paying Samsung for the S22+ that I traded in. It wasn't the wisest financial decision. I also am paying on the Tab S8. I could sell that and this phone and then get an iPhone. But it's more trouble than it's worth.

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm kinda stuck with this phone as I am paying on this and I'm paying Samsung for the S22+ that I traded in. It wasn't the wisest financial decision. I also am paying on the Tab S8. I could sell that and this phone and then get an iPhone. But it's more trouble than it's worth.
I hear you. I'm actually paying off this phone as well. I'll have it paid off sometime next year. I thought. Also maybe about getting a Samsung. I had the Note 4 way back when and I really liked it. But I really do like the pixel the best out of all the Android phones.

Reactions: Joshua Luther1

pchain

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm hoping the issue corrected itself on my P7P. I only experienced the dreaded flickering screen for one day. I have made no changes and I do run the screen at 1440p. I don't know if it is coincidence or dumb luck but when I saw the flickering, my battery was pretty low so I turned the phone completely off and charged it to 100% before powering on again. Since doing that I haven't had it flicker since. Strange.

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I might look for some stuff around the house to sell so I can at least pay off this phone or one of my Samsung accounts. I'd really rather not sell my Tab S8 even though they are going for around $500 on Swappa.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz