Dreaded green flicker on right side of screen

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Even though the feature drop will include this fix on March 6, I enrolled in the beta and am downloading the latest QPR beta. I don't think I'll enroll for the Android 14 public beta when it comes out in a few months.

Edit: I changed my mind to install the beta. Not sure if it will affect my banking apps or not. Not really worth it.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro
For what it's worth, it hasn't affected mine. Both Chase (JP Morgan) and Wright Part Credit Union all work and pay apps as well.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
FYI: yesterday's Google Beta Quarterly Platform Release addresses a green flickering light issue. Maybe this will be a part of the March feature drop. The photo is just a screenshot. Not a link.
See I wonder if I should have held on to my original unit. I hope that software update fixes the issue.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using AC Forums mobile app

No_autorizado

Feb 11, 2023
Visit site
I seriously doubt that it was purely software that caused it. Maybe it was something in software that caused the hardware to fail. But that seems unlikely to me.

Sent from my SM-X700 using Tapatalk

It's most definitely hardware related because I haven't seen this issue since getting a replacement back in December.

NoICon

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I also have the periodic green flickering with an unresponsive black screen issue thrown in for good measure. Was told by support to wait for the March update so we shall see...

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
well the dreaded green flash is back! ugh... tonight, I tried to wake up my phone and it flashed green, then went dead.. like I can hear the phone working while I'm trying to touch buttons, but the screen is completely dead and black.

Reactions: Joshua Luther1

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I also have the periodic green flickering with an unresponsive black screen issue thrown in for good measure. Was told by support to wait for the March update so we shall see...
this JUST started happening to my phone tonight. I have the green flicker, then the screen goes black...

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
well the dreaded green flash is back! ugh... tonight, I tried to wake up my phone and it flashed green, then went dead.. like I can hear the phone working while I'm trying to touch buttons, but the screen is completely dead and black.
Wow, man that sucks. Hopefully they'll replace it again for you. I'd be pissed and asking for like a refund or something so I could get a different phone because that's ridiculous.

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Wow, man that sucks. Hopefully they'll replace it again for you. I'd be pissed and asking for like a refund or something so I could get a different phone because that's ridiculous.
Yeah Google is sending me another replacement. Has your phone been doing okay? What's so bizarre is this morning The phone is completely normal. I do not see any green flashes and it's waking up just fine. So I was debating on if I should cancel the replacement order. But I'm afraid that this phone might do it again. Do you think it's software? It definitely feels like it's a hardware issue

Reactions: Joshua Luther1

Joshua Luther1

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah Google is sending me another replacement. Has your phone been doing okay? What's so bizarre is this morning The phone is completely normal. I do not see any green flashes and it's waking up just fine. So I was debating on if I should cancel the replacement order. But I'm afraid that this phone might do it again. Do you think it's software? It definitely feels like it's a hardware issue
I don't honestly know, but my bet is hardware because I haven't heard of the smaller Pixel 7 doing this. But if I had to put money on it, it's probably hardware. I haven't had any issues with my replacement. By any chance, do you use auto brightness? On my first phone, I didn't notice any issues until I turned it off and I would turn my brightness all the way up when in direct sunlight. Then I'd often forget to turn it down. So I'm wondering if that somehow caused the screen to fail because it made the phone run hotter? Since getting my replacement, I have only run auto brightness.

Reactions: Tomster88

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
This totally sucks, sorry to hear it's happening again. Have you tried a factory reset, or are you waiting to get the replacement so you can copy the phone over? It'd be interesting to see if the flicker/screen death persists after a factory reset -- if it does, then it would confirm a hardware problem.

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
This totally sucks, sorry to hear it's happening again. Have you tried a factory reset, or are you waiting to get the replacement so you can copy the phone over? It'd be interesting to see if the flicker/screen death persists after a factory reset -- if it does, then it would confirm a hardware problem.
I thought about doing a factory reset but like you said, I want to wait till after I transfer all the data to the new phone. But I am curious if the factory reset would fix it. But the phone has been absolutely perfect today. No issues at all. It's so bizarre

Reactions: mumfoau

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't honestly know, but my bet is hardware because I haven't heard of the smaller Pixel 7 doing this. But if I had to put money on it, it's probably hardware. I haven't had any issues with my replacement. By any chance, do you use auto brightness? On my first phone, I didn't notice any issues until I turned it off and I would turn my brightness all the way up when in direct sunlight. Then I'd often forget to turn it down. So I'm wondering if that somehow caused the screen to fail because it made the phone run hotter? Since getting my replacement, I have only run auto brightness.
I always use auto brightness. But now that I think back, before this all happened. Yesterday, I was using the maps in the car and I did get a warning that the phone was overheating and it went to dark mode. Then later on at night the phone was down to 30% and that's when it started doing all that stuff. I wonder if those things had anything to do with it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I thought about doing a factory reset but like you said, I want to wait till after I transfer all the data to the new phone. But I am curious if the factory reset would fix it. But the phone has been absolutely perfect today. No issues at all. It's so bizarre
The fact that the same thing is happening to you (and it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem) makes me wonder if something you typically install is somehow causing a major glitch.

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm just curious to get your guys' opinion. Do you think I should cancel the replacement order? Or just go through with it? Since this phone malfunctioned once before. Maybe it would happen again? But it's totally been acting normal all day today so far.

Tomster88

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
The fact that the same thing is happening to you (and it doesn't seem to be a widespread problem) makes me wonder if something you typically install is somehow causing a major glitch.
I thought about that too. But when I went researching this issue, a lot of people with pixel 7 pros experiencing the same thing. I found a page on the Google forums where a lot of people are complaining about this issue.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz