Facebook Contacts sync not working

suneeta75

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
i had the same problem on note 4!! tried many ways. finally got it to work by disabling and unistalling fb... then went to play store, opened fb app and enabled it without updating it. went into the fb app manager and the sync contacts option was still there! synced contacts.... then updated the fb and it's all still synced! yay!

Karthik b123

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
Initially I was also having same problem. I have tried all the options, none of them was helpful.
So I have downloaded a old version Facebook apk, about a year back(Jan 2015) release. I was having a option, where I can sync contacts.

captainbdsc

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
i had the same problem on note 4!! tried many ways. finally got it to work by disabling and unistalling fb... then went to play store, opened fb app and enabled it without updating it. went into the fb app manager and the sync contacts option was still there! synced contacts.... then updated the fb and it's all still synced! yay!

Just remember not to update the app or syncing will go away. Also make sure disable the Facebook app manager app that may be installed. That app will update Facebook without your permission even if you have no auto update on in the Play Store.

Posted via the Android Central App

mjknight02

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone!

I wanted to take a few minutes to write this and let you know in my VERY LENGTHLY research what has happened with FB contact syncing. I am one of the original posters on this thread and I had an S4 where I accidentally deleted my FB app. When I installed the latest version, then the sync option was missing from the app. FB HAS discontinued this on any version after 29, I believe. Therefore, I had to delete the app entirely, download a previous version (apk file) online directly, synced my phone then updated and it worked.

I recently purchased the Note 5 (Verizon) however that automatically comes installed with the FB app. That version I believe is 31. The option to sync is non-existent. You cannot delete the app nor freeze it and you can't even root your phone on the Note 5 because of security issues and your phone will be completely dead - so don't try to root - at least on the Verizon version. Anyway, I took that back, ordered the Note 4 (I prefer it anyway because of the extra storage and pull out battery). On the Note 4 I was able download the previous version 27 apk file (just to be safe), sync my contacts then update it to the latest version. Until FB brings back this sync option in their app, then any versions after 29 (I believe), will no longer have this option. If your phone comes with the app pre-installed version 30 or later, then you won't be able to download a previous version because you will get an error message that the app cannot be installed. You cannot download a previous version than already what the root app comes with.

I hope this helps everyone in understanding the whole FB contact syncing issues as it seems that some people still don't understand that FB no longer has this option available and there are only a few options that are available but it depends on your phone, what comes with it and what version it is if it does.

Tommy Bayshore

May 23, 2013
Visit site
mjknight02, VERY good info, this is what i was thinking, something either with samsung or facebook that takes the ability away although i have no idea why, 95% of peoples contacts are associated with facebook pics... ill let this issue die for now, perhaps it will come back with a future update... :cool:

Cheetohead

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
I've been worried about not being able to synchronized my facebook contacts to my phone 📱 anymore since facebook took away the option to do that. But after some weeks of unsatisfied about facebook latest updates and tested so many version, so I finally found an old version of facebook that has the feature and it's just perfect . google out and download facebook v25.0.0.19.30 and it's the very version that comes with the note 4 N910T3 , but it was odex and about 14mb. but get the deodex from the web, which its about 26+MB. now both my note 4 and my Tab s, can sync my facebook contact

Downloading this older v25.0.0.19.30 worked for me on my Note 5 with T-Mobile!!!!! I got the download from apkarea website. Go and search for the above version. After I downloaded the apk file directly to my ph, I scanned it with my anti-virus app which said it was safe. I had to turn ON the download from unknown source this once. I went back and ran the install. Logged into Facebook and in the app settings it gave me a sync all contacts option. When I went back to my contacts all the facebook profile pictures now showed in my contacts and I was able to link existing phone contacts to their Facebook profiles which was not an option before. This only took me 5 mins. Easy peasy. Yaay!

Gilbert76

Feb 8, 2016
Visit site
Well, it seems it doesn't apear the sync contats now, for all i have read.
Only option i can think to resolve for now is managing the contacts on the google account and put pics there...
It will be hard, and intense labor!!

captainbdsc

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Guys, the contact sync option moved from the Facebook app to the Messenger app. Open your Facebook Messenger App, Settings, People, Sync contacts.

Read that "sync" description more carefully (learn more) and you will see that it is just an upload of the contacts already on your phone. Personally I think it is deceptive of Facebook to call it a sync. It just makes it a tiny bit easier to friend someone on Facebook who you already have contact information for on your phone.

Screenshot_2015-12-12-21-24-44.jpg

Posted via the Android Central App

grindnmosh

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
I would like somebody to help me here, I have set 3 Note 5 already, all of them from T-mobile and actually all at same firmware version plus same Facebook version.

It's the first time that I have seen this, from the three the only one that it's syncing with Facebook is mine. There is not even an option to do it in thr Facebook App, under App settings. At first I thought that it was that the Allow syncing pop up that brings the initial setup was not selected so I proceeded to reset, Facebook app, Removed account, cleared data from Samsung Galaxy app and everything related to it and Facebook, so I began from scratch without a factory reset. In a summary, I wasted my time, it's still the same, you can see that everything is set to sync in the Facebook account settings, it doesn't give an error but nothing happens.

Mine was set almost 3 weeks ago and it worked as it should and it still works, when I set the second one last week I noticed that it didn't work but the user didn't want to sync with Facebook so no problem with that one, but I was very curious as to why it happened. So yesterday another coworker came with a new Note 5 and asked me to help him setting everything and the first thing he asked me was why the Facebook contacts were not syncing. Again I did everything I did last week with the other one and nothing, I even Uninstalled all updates and disabled the app, then I sidelined one of the previous versions trying to see if something was changed in the latest one but nothing, still no option to sync contacts in the App and everything is set as it should but nothing.

Looking in Google for Facebook contacts not syncing brings hundreds of results but none seems to be related, so anybody else with same issue? Any ideas? , thanks.

SOLUTION
this option is located in Facebook messenger now. You can turn it on there. Off by default apparently

Last edited:

Tommy Bayshore

May 23, 2013
Visit site
OK, just to clear this up and bring everyone up to speed... this issue HAS NOT been fixed, yes there is an option within Messenger but it does not accomplish what this thread is related to which is syncing contacts to existing contacts on your phone. It has been posted many times Facebook (for whatever reason) has removed this functionality. I'm getting a new S7 next week with Marshmallow loaded on it and maybe, just maybe it will be working with that, but who knows, i will post what i find when i get the phone... right now i have a Note 5 which is completely up to date and the feature we are talking about in this forum DOES NOT exist anymore.

Sarry1005

Mar 11, 2016
Visit site
OK, just to clear this up and bring everyone up to speed... this issue HAS NOT been fixed, yes there is an option within Messenger but it does not accomplish what this thread is related to which is syncing contacts to existing contacts on your phone. It has been posted many times Facebook (for whatever reason) has removed this functionality. I'm getting a new S7 next week with Marshmallow loaded on it and maybe, just maybe it will be working with that, but who knows, i will post what i find when i get the phone... right now i have a Note 5 which is completely up to date and the feature we are talking about in this forum DOES NOT exist anymore.

I just got the s7 today & was hoping the sync would work & it didnt. It's still is missing.

Matthew Rizzo

Jun 1, 2015
Visit site
Ditto on my S7 - you can sync Google+ photos (Those are the only contacts that show up with photos), but even with sync turned on in FB messenger, no sync occurs.

JayLee202

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
Hello everyone, I have the new Blackberry Priv (LOVE IT) and as you all are speaking of the issue being Samsung etc... it actually appears to be a software issue. ANDROID! If you all have the new Android OS 5.1.1 you will notice these features are gone. The older Android OS still works with these functions. So we'll have to wait for Android to do an upgrade push and hopefully, these functions will work. Until then, Sync.ME it is... Hope this helps. Namaste

Nealla30

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
I've been following this for a year now as well. I have a Verizon Note 4. I uninstalled whatever versions of FB I had on the phone. I downloaded the 27 APK you suggested, did NOT do the auto update, and BOOM!!! All my phone contacts sync again with FB! THANK YOU!!!!