Faulty charging brick?

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Last week my Pixel XL turned off and for a while I only had access to fastboot (I had a thread about this). I plugged it with the official cable connected to the official charging brick with for the night to see if it would come back but it was the opposite, it never turned back on, not even fastboot.

So I got an RMA and today I received the replacement device (Google's service is really fast and great). It had no battery power so I plugged it in with the same cable and charging brick. All the while it was downloading the Oreo update. When I got up to check if it was installing, I noticed it was not charging anymore. It charged to 14% then stopped.

So I unplugged it and tried my (unofficial) cable that connects to the PC. It was not charging.

So I went to Google chat support again and, after making me try some things, I got a new RMA to get another replacement.

Now I asked the person I spoke to if I could also send the cable and brick in for a replacement given I thought that may be the problem. The odds of having the same problem on two devices within a week are pretty slim.

She said that in her experience the brick and cable were fine and that they could not alter the devices ability to charge. She insisted that it would not happen again. When I asked if it ever did what we would do and she said I'd get a replacement again.

Now is that true? That the brick and cable cannot break the charging port or something like that? Has anyone heard of such a case? I have to admit I'm really afraid of using them again.

Thanks!

anon(9602380)

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
I suggest you try a new charging block and cable. The odds of two phones having the same issue are pretty slim. Not saying it's impossible but extremely slim. Cables and blocks fail.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
I suggest you try a new charging block and cable. The odds of two phones having the same issue are pretty slim. Not saying it's impossible but extremely slim. Cables and blocks fail.

That's also what I think. It's kind of weird that the support person didn't agree.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site

Just to make sure I explained properly, I did try to charge with another cable which didn't work. I did that after trying the official charging brick and cable.

My theory is that either the charging brick or the cable broke the charging ports on both devices. That's really the only explanation I see other than a pure coincidence.

anon(9602380)

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
Just to make sure I explained properly, I did try to charge with another cable which didn't work. I did that after trying the official charging brick and cable.

My theory is that either the charging brick or the cable broke the charging ports on both devices. That's really the only explanation I see other than a pure coincidence.

Unless you're being extremely aggressive I would find it hard to break a port in a week. I still suggest new cable and brick. I've had them fail myself.

dlalonde

Trusted Member
Dec 31, 2014
Visit site
Unless you're being extremely aggressive I would find it hard to break a port in a week. I still suggest new cable and brick. I've had them fail myself.

I asked for a second opinion on the support chat and the person told me the same thing, that it wasn't the charger that broke the phones. Of course I'm not agressive either indeed so I'm not breaking them. She also said to keep the charger and use it on my next replacement and I won't have any issues.

Of course these replacement are refurbished so maybe there was already a problem with it?

You say you had some fail. Was it to the point where your phone didn't charge with any cable whatsoever?

anon(9602380)

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
I asked for a second opinion on the support chat and the person told me the same thing, that it wasn't the charger that broke the phones. Of course I'm not agressive either indeed so I'm not breaking them. She also said to keep the charger and use it on my next replacement and I won't have any issues.

Of course these replacement are refurbished so maybe there was already a problem with it?

You say you had some fail. Was it to the point where your phone didn't charge with any cable whatsoever?

No I have not. I've always been able to get my phone to charge. Just replaced my brick or cable and I was back in business.