Few questions on my new G7

Nitrousbird

Jul 23, 2018
Visit site
My wife and I just purchased G7's to replace our aging Galaxy S7 Edges and I have a few questions:

#1 : Is there a way to change the screen ratio of Screen Sharing? In my car, I have a MS Miracast device integrated into the factory navigation, so that I can mirror my screen (its a BMW CCC nav, so no touchscreen/Android Auto option). On my Galaxy, it filled the whole screen and looked good. On the LG, due to the longer display, it has black bars top/bottom and is harder to see as a result.

#2 : Do we have a definitive answer on fast wireless charging? I have seen "definitive" articles saying yes and others saying no. I have wireless charging docks at work, 2 at home, in my truck and on my boat. Four are on Qualcomm 2.0 power supplies, one is on my S7 Edge power supply. Will I see an upgrade in charging speed moving to a 3.0 supply? How about the Razor 4.0 supply? Will I see an improvement with the 4.0 supply hardwired?

#3 : My MicroSD card is slow in this phone. It is a 128GB card I bought for my S7 Edge; it seems slow processing pics, though probably because the resolution is higher than I used to take. Any suggestions on a high speed card fast enough to avoid the loading message and the time it takes to take the image and put it into focus? The current card is a supposed high-speed card I got a deal on (not a Sandisk, which is what I typically buy). It worked previously but I need something better.

#4 : Blackberry Work. My wife's company uses this and she is getting an error saying this is unapproved device. Running the same Oreo version as her S7. Downloaded from her work app store. Is this a limitation of Good Control or does their admin need to add the LG G7 to allowable devices in Good? She is putting in a ticket today regarding this.

#5 : Any way to get a tethering button in the notification panel? I added the T-Mobile one widget but prefer the notification panel button.

#6 : Is there a way to make the Always On display not suck (yes, I have the extra brightness option turned on). I'm guessing not due to it being a LCD screen

#7 : Is there a way to change the auto brightness settings? I always find it to be a little darker than I want, unless I'm in a dark room. I either have to deal with it or manually change the brightness.

Overall, I like this phone more than my S7 Edge but there are a few quirks that I'd love to resolve.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
#1 : Is there a way to change the screen ratio of Screen Sharing?
Sorry, no.

#2 : Do we have a definitive answer on fast wireless charging? I have seen "definitive" articles saying yes and others saying no. I have wireless charging docks at work, 2 at home, in my truck and on my boat. Four are on Qualcomm 2.0 power supplies, one is on my S7 Edge power supply. Will I see an upgrade in charging speed moving to a 3.0 supply? How about the Razor 4.0 supply? Will I see an improvement with the 4.0 supply hardwired?
The phone uses Qualcom 3.0. Using a 4.0 charger won't do anything - the phone and charger negotiate the fastest charge, and since the phone is 3.0, that's the fastest charge it can accept, so the charger uses 3.0. Using a different fast charging technology results in plain old 5 Volt charging (call it Qualcom 0.0.)

: My MicroSD card is slow in this phone. It is a 128GB card I bought for my S7 Edge; it seems slow processing pics, though probably because the resolution is higher than I used to take. Any suggestions on a high speed card fast enough to avoid the loading message and the time it takes to take the image and put it into focus? The current card is a supposed high-speed card I got a deal on (not a Sandisk, which is what I typically buy). It worked previously but I need something better.
Pictures, no. The processing takes place in the phone, not on the card. For videos, you could use a U3 card if you're shooting at 4k. (I'd still recommend staying with SanDisk - they invented the technology, they're the only one of 2 factories that make the chips used in the cards - everyone else buys chips from them or Samsung, their tech support is excellent and their cards last a very long time [would you like a 32MB card? Mine still works], but a U3 card for 4k video, a u1 [or Class 10] card isn't fast enough.) But for pictures, no card is going to make the processing faster. For that you need faster picture processing hardware, like the Pixel 2/2XL.

: Blackberry Work. My wife's company uses this and she is getting an error saying this is unapproved device. Running the same Oreo version as her S7. Downloaded from her work app store. Is this a limitation of Good Control or does their admin need to add the LG G7 to allowable devices in Good? She is putting in a ticket today regarding this.
No idea if it's company-controllable or TCL Communications-controllable (TCL is the company that bought the Blackberry name).

: Any way to get a tethering button in the notification panel? I added the T-Mobile one widget but prefer the notification panel button.
Sort of yes - if it works. You'd have to add it to the notification database, which requires a knowledge of SQL.

: Is there a way to make the Always On display not suck (yes, I have the extra brightness option turned on). I'm guessing not due to it being a LCD screen
Not unless you change phones. The G7 AOD is the G7 AOD.

: Is there a way to change the auto brightness settings? I always find it to be a little darker than I want, unless I'm in a dark room. I either have to deal with it or manually change the brightness.
Ahh, one I can say an unqualified yes to. Velis Auto Brightness.

Nitrousbird

Jul 23, 2018
Visit site
The phone uses Qualcom 3.0. Using a 4.0 charger won't do anything - the phone and charger negotiate the fastest charge, and since the phone is 3.0, that's the fastest charge it can accept, so the charger uses 3.0. Using a different fast charging technology results in plain old 5 Volt charging.
Qualcomm lists it as a 4.0 device:

https://www.qualcomm.com/media/documents/files/quick-charge-device-list.pdf

Some other articles I have read have stated this as well but LG cheaped out on the provided power supply.

I do know that Qualcomm is backward compatible, so it shouldn't charge slower by using a more modern technology. I'm more curious about real world, does it charge faster, reports.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogerinsg99