Five things I’ll miss from the LG G4, and five things I won’t

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm wrong but I use Swiftkey and I believe the emoticons come with the keyboard? Would the phone only provide the emoticons when using the native keyboard?

gavo360

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
But double-tap to turn *off* my phone’s screen is **glorious**.

I understand the addiction, and I’m kinda wishing that Nova allowed me to shut off the screen with a double-tap on my Moto X. I used the power button on the G4 to screenshot far more than I did to actually wake/sleep the phone, and I find myself double-tapping the screen, only to bring up my music instead of shutting off the screen.

You can get this feature on any phone with nova, install the app 'screen off and lock' and with nova gestures use this app for the double tap gesture.

msm0511

Trusted Member
Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I'm gonna complain about emoji. I use them. A lot. ???????????? And they look so terrible after using Google emoji for years.

Posted via the Android Central App

I hate the emojis on my M9 as well. I have no idea if they're the same as Google's or not. One of the things I like about using Textra is the iOS emojis. Unfortunately they use really old versions of them, but still better than the default HTC keyboard.

Ara Wagoner

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
You can get this feature on any phone with nova, install the app 'screen off and lock' and with nova gestures use this app for the double tap gesture.

Yeah, I might be trying that before too long. I knew it was possible, but I thought most of these apps were root only.

Ara Wagoner

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Maybe I'm wrong but I use Swiftkey and I believe the emoticons come with the keyboard? Would the phone only provide the emoticons when using the native keyboard?

Some do, some don't, and on many, it will default to the pre-installed ones (such as with Hangouts, which is supposed to have the Google emoji).

rdt595

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Well for me the back buttons are a must being left handed. And I use the one finger screen shot probably 10 times daily with no problem. Like any new phone certain features take getting used to. Emojis I could care less about. But that's just me.

Posted with LG G4 via the Android Central App

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Good:
1) Camera - agree, very nice.
2) Battery - we'll see, not sure yet but seems borderline but getting better
3) IR Blaster - no idea, don't use it, not really tempted to either
4) Double Tap - agree, love it,
5) Animation - ok, not too sensitive about that, I'll take your word for it.

Bad:
1) Settings - agree, yuk
2) Back Buttons - I love them, took me about 10 seconds to fall in love with, very natural (for me!) Side buttons always got in my way, never did like them but never thought about having them elsewhere until LG came up with them.
3) Size - jury is still out, this is by far the biggest phone I've ever had. So far so good but I'm thinking it gets on my nerves down the road. Pocketability is still a big factor for me, maybe #1 but I figured I'd give the big phone a try-out since so many like them.
4) Speaker - no excuse to have a back firing speaker these days, it's so yesterday.
5) Emoji - don't care, has no bearing on my like/dislike of a product.

But...I have no regrets, I like the phone and any criticisms so far aren't enough to sour me on the product. Any product can be picked apart, overall it's a good purchase...so far. I'm basically one week into this thing.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
The good news, there are a lot of really good phones out there for us to choose from (including the G4).
The bad news, the phones are so good now that we can complain about "emoji"...LOL. We are a troubled and fickle society.
I really liked your review, thanks for sharing.

Ara Wagoner

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
2) Back Buttons - I love them, took me about 10 seconds to fall in love with, very natural (for me!) Side buttons always got in my way, never did like them but never thought about having them elsewhere until LG came up with them.
3) Size - jury is still out, this is by far the biggest phone I've ever had. So far so good but I'm thinking it gets on my nerves down the road. Pocketability is still a big factor for me, maybe #1 but I figured I'd give the big phone a try-out since so many like them.
4) Speaker - no excuse to have a back firing speaker these days, it's so yesterday.
5) Emoji - don't care, has no bearing on my like/dislike of a product.

But...I have no regrets, I like the phone and any criticisms so far aren't enough to sour me on the product. Any product can be picked apart, overall it's a good purchase...so far. I'm basically one week into this thing.

The buttons thing has been a love it or hate it for pretty much everyone I've come across. I don't hate it completely, but I still swing a bit towards side buttons. Size is still a subjective and changing opinion for me. I thought I'd hate the size of the Moto X 2014 when I was upgraded to it, but it's grown on me.

The emoji is a non-issue for a lot of people. It is an issue for me, though.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
The buttons thing has been a love it or hate it for pretty much everyone I've come across. I don't hate it completely, but I still swing a bit towards side buttons. Size is still a subjective and changing opinion for me. I thought I'd hate the size of the Moto X 2014 when I was upgraded to it, but it's grown on me.

The emoji is a non-issue for a lot of people. It is an issue for me, though.

These emoji make my physically ill. I'm not exaggerating!

Ara Wagoner

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
It was a punch in the boob every time they sent me one. But it's gone now.

It can't hurt me anymore....

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I hated the buttons at first; swore I would never buy a phone with them. Now I'll never buy a phone without them... Again, very fickle.

RedOctobyr

Jun 7, 2015
Visit site
The good news, there are a lot of really good phones out there for us to choose from (including the G4).

The bad news *about* the good news is, for me, that there are few "flagships" left with a removable battery and SD card. Some may feel those aren't needed, and that's perfectly fine, but I would really like to keep both features. So that rules out the S6 as an alternative, for me, as well as a number of other phones.

I did like the real estate the G4 screen provides, but would still prefer a little smaller, maybe 5.1". The 5.5" worked for me, with the narrow bezels, but it's at the top-end of what I'd like to use. It's a big phone. I personally hope the bigger-bigger trend doesn't continue.

The G4 has a lot going for it. I had some heat & battery issues with mine, so returned it. If those get straightened out, maybe I'll try again.

A G4 Mini, ~5" screen, still fast-enough and with the same camera, with better battery life than I experienced with my G4, would sound great to me.

The bad news, the phones are so good now that we can complain about "emoji"...LOL. We are a troubled and fickle society.
I really liked your review, thanks for sharing.

And the good news for me is that I don't currently have any stake or interest in emojis, so they don't trouble me :)

Very good review!

Last edited:

Duncan1982

Banned
Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
OK I have read overheating, lag, screen issue's etc etc on almost every device I have owned 15 in total and I'll list just to be clear.

1)S3

2)S4

3)S5

4)Note 3

5)Note 4 x2 exynos & snapdragon

6)Nexus 5 x 2

7)Galaxy Mega

8)Xperia Z2

9)Lg G3

10)Lg G4

11)S6E

12)Note 2

13)Lg G2

And on every one of those and in every forum either lag or overheating or screen or something else.

Will these ever go away nope there will always be one (be it fictional or real, I'm not disputing here) but am I lucky that I have never ever experienced heating issue's even on my M9 with the notorious 810. It is rooted and S-Off and I regularly update as viper rom is mad with updates lol, not what I would say is mad overheating.

I may have experienced bit of lag along the way but nothing that has ever disrupted my enjoyment and I have never returned 1 of those phones.

Again not disputing claims that's not my point, but if you ever think that these issues will vannish just keep looking to the S7, G5, M10 and so on and I can guarantee all the above will be mentioned with those to.

My dollar & Two Cents lol

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
What I do miss on the g4.

The camera.. Yup even as good as the s6 is I loved the control layout and everything about it.

The sd card.. Even though I can add a external one and have it on order... It's a whole lot easier to use what I know.

The leather... Don't get me wrong about my current phone... It's built like a tank and there is nothing wrong with this, cause I don't have to worry about getting it dirty or greasy or wet... But I enjoyed the leather back on mine a lot... It was the opposite of the S6 Active I have now.

Double tap... In such a short time of using it I am hooked. If I had a dollar for every time I have done it to this one I could take the wife out for a gourmet dinner... The buttons on the Active are very nice and I am getting better at using them, but as most of you LG fans know how it is to use something else.

What I don't miss... I don't miss dealing with the customer service people... That's a whole different story on that.

I don't miss the WiFi and cell signal issue of course.. Hopefully that will get rectified in time.

I am spoiled by this forum and the good people here... So yes I miss that too. I wish I had the cash to buy another g4..but with all my bills from the repairs I need to do on my home from the storms we had that just is not a option.

I guess I really like my Active for different reasons than most.. It's pretty darn fast and easy to use and is a great phone in it's own right and I am liking it the more I use it. The physical buttons work great, it's battery is huge and last and last and the screen is great too with the 4 different modes to use so I don't have to keep it in torch mode all the time.

So I have more misses than dislikes and there it is... I will get another for sure just don't know when... Lol... I won't give up my Active neither... It's polar opposite from the g4 but in a really neat way...

Posted from my Samsung S6 Active

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Kinda, some keyboards have their own included emoji, but sadly, on most keyboards, it'll be covered up by what came on the phone. I think the blobs have character, too, and the non-people emojis look worlds better.

Just out of curiosity have you tried messing with the keyboard settings to see if there's an alternate keyboard layout that includes the stock Google emojis? For example on Xperia phones you will see Sony UI emojis but the stock Google ones are available as well. They're separated by tabs and you can pick the set you want.