Flip? Fold? Flop?

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
It does look amazing with all that screen real estate, but I'm just not sure. Maybe I'll hold off until the Fold 5 or 6.

The screen real estate was the real reason I was kind of attracted to it at first. Done right, it can go from being a phone to a tablet. I really like that concept. But it looks like a brick and of course it is really expensive. (Someone here said they got a $900 trade-in discount, and that certainly helps make it a lot more attractive.) Maybe they will refine everything in a few years. Hey, maybe they will add back an SD card. 🙂 Right now, I don't gotta have it either.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
The screen real estate was the real reason I was kind of attracted to it at first. Done right, it can go from being a phone to a tablet. I really like that concept. But it looks like a brick and of course it is really expensive. (Someone here said they got a $900 trade-in discount, and that certainly helps make it a lot more attractive.) Maybe they will refine everything in a few years. Hey, maybe they will add back an SD card. 🙂 Right now, I don't gotta have it either.

Samsung had wanted to eliminate the SD for years, it won't come back. However they did create micro UFS cards years ago that make micro SD cards look like antique garbage but few devices adopted support for them. I'd like to see those in future devices since they are essentially really fast micro SD cards and won't hinder system performance.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The screen real estate was the real reason I was kind of attracted to it at first. Done right, it can go from being a phone to a tablet. I really like that concept. But it looks like a brick and of course it is really expensive. (Someone here said they got a $900 trade-in discount, and that certainly helps make it a lot more attractive.) Maybe they will refine everything in a few years. Hey, maybe they will add back an SD card. Right now, I don't gotta have it either.
Yeah if it wasn't for trade-in i probably wouldn't go for them but we have them so i gave a them a shot and been happy.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
The other reason I don't want to is because of financial reasons. I won't get into details, but it'd be smarter right now for me to just hold off.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Samsung had wanted to eliminate the SD for years, it won't come back. However they did create micro UFS cards years ago that make micro SD cards look like antique garbage but few devices adopted support for them. I'd like to see those in future devices since they are essentially really fast micro SD cards and won't hinder system performance.

That part on the SD was tongue in cheek. In terms of Samsung bringing it back, it seems unlikely, to say the least. I won't QUITE say never, but no, I'm definitely not holding my breath. The tiebreaker is that they have also monetized the decision to drop SD cards by making you buy lots of extra HDD space every time you buy a new phone. (I suspect that's as big or a bigger issue than anything else, propaganda about how losing SD cards is good for me and you aside....) SO, I'm not betting they will ever look back.

I had not even heard of these micro UFS cards. That sounds interesting, but if they haven't adopted them by now, I imagine they are not in line to replace micro sd. Of course, it makes my current not-cheap 1tb micro sd card obsolete. :) For the record, I see no problem with system performance with current micro SD cards. Literally, nothing I even notice on the Note 20 once loaded (and at that point I flip them from phone to phone). Mostly, I use mine for music. It's gonna be awhile before I'm willing to forsake that SD card.

Last edited:

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
...Thought I was the only one hanging on to the N20U. Was really thinking I'd trade "up" to one of those new fangled flippers but alas logic slapped me upside the head when I realized it's not really a trade up at all. I"m about sure the N20U will be my last Samsung device. Last time I had a non-Samsung device was a nokia or HTC something. Remember HTC? First Android was the HTC Dream on T-Mobile. Still have one around here someplace. First app I loaded was Shop Savvy! {We older peoples surely do get off track} Anyway, I've used only Samsung phones since the original Note device...

View attachment 348427

Can't see paying more for less.
The T-Mobile G1. Who could forget it? I'm probably aging myself, but I remember it coming out my freshman year of college and everyone was so crazy about it (except me). I thought it was so cheap and plasticky plus I thought the interface looks so kiddy. I thought I would never get Android as I had the palm pre that I loved. Well that palm pre that I loved so much crapped out on me after being replaced five or six times. Then sprint upgraded me to the Samsung moment and ever since that I've been a lover of Android ever since. Crazy how things happen.

buzzy3970

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
The screen real estate was the real reason I was kind of attracted to it at first. Done right, it can go from being a phone to a tablet. I really like that concept. But it looks like a brick and of course it is really expensive. (Someone here said they got a $900 trade-in discount, and that certainly helps make it a lot more attractive.) Maybe they will refine everything in a few years. Hey, maybe they will add back an SD card. Right now, I don't gotta have it either.
Add back? The foldables never had an sd card to begin with and that's by design. I would through that suggestion out the window because unlike the note 5 and s6 fiasco they're not backing down lol....

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Add back? The foldables never had an sd card to begin with and that's by design. I would through that suggestion out the window because unlike the note 5 and s6 fiasco they're not backing down lol....

Yes, I am aware that particular model did not have a card ever. 🤔

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej