For All Us QuickPic Lovers, Bad News....

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Hate to say I told you so, but I predicted what CM would say and do in another post:

"Hmmm...in post #43 I predicted: "They'll give it some 'improvements' to 'enhance the user experience' which is code for we'll add a couple of little things to make you think we're good guys."

In their response on Play, they answered a bad review with: "...good experience that users expect...we will add some valuable functions for FREE."

Close enough I'm gonna say I nailed it! I'm not expecting them to say anything about other, less popular things they have planned for QuickPic."

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Am I missing something? Most of CM's apps on Google Play has great reviews. Are they manipulated?
Not manipulated in the sense that anyone is told what to write. But several people I know left repeated scathing reviews that kept disappearing mysteriously. They would write a review, it would disappear, they write another, it would disappear - write, delete, repeat.

Also, you simply can't trust reviews, not only by ordinary people, who should not be expected to be experts or do real testing.You're gonna get wildly up and down reviews from them, it's just the nature of the beast. But even those by people who should know better, like tech sites and tech bloggers, often can't be trusted. They apparently just write what they're told to write to appease advertisers, they are not technically competent to do their job properly, or they just don't care and don't put in the effort. They simply don't do their homework on stuff. Of course many do a great job and many thanks to them!

But you won't find information in reviews like in the link in my post #4 in this thread, which covers some horrible privacy problems.
Or technical know-how like in here:

http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/6857986

So, you have total crapware like DU Battery Saver, Clean Master and hundreds and thousands of apps with feel-good names and descriptions that are actually worthless at best and outright malware at worst, that are making Top 10 Best lists when they should be on Top 10 Worst lists. You wonder if some reviewers even installed the app. They might as well have copied/pasted from developer's websites.

And that is my Rant of the Day.

Last edited:

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
It's simple to keep your phone secure. Android is a pretty secure system by design. The biggest security risk to Android is Android users. Be a smart user.

1. Use a password or pattern lock to keep people out.

2. Be very careful where you get software. Use only very trustworthy sources, basically the Play store and Amazon.

3. In Settings > Security > Device administration leave Unknown sources disabled. If you must enable it to do an install don't forget to disable it when done.

4. IMHO antivirus is kinda worthless. Instead of antivirus apps install Common Sense. Use it at all times. That is the most effective protection.

5. Do not root the phone. Rooting breaks basic Android security features such as user permissions and sandboxed apps.

6. Pay attention to permissions requested by apps during installation.

7. Use 2-step authentication.

I admit that I don't do #7. I just find it to be a pita. But it is effective.

Follow these simple steps and you will have no problems. You might consider encrypting the device but there are pros and cons to that.

Regarding file managers, my go-to app is X-plore. Check out FX File Explorer and Astro too. ES File is very popular and actually very good, but I can't recommend it because it has security concerns.

File Manager is malware and you might have a hard time getting rid of it.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Also, you simply can't trust reviews, not only by ordinary people, who should not be expected to be experts or do real testing.You're gonna get wildly up and down reviews from them, it's just the nature of the beast. But even those by people who should know better, like tech sites and tech bloggers, often can't be trusted. They apparently just write what they're told to write to appease advertisers, they are not technically competent to do their job properly, or they just don't care and don't put in the effort. They simply don't do their homework on stuff. Of course many do a great job and many thanks to them!
I agree. I am learning that now. I use to rely on these tech sites saying the product was the best ever then I got it and it sucked badly even returning a few. Now I don't trust these shill paid tech site reviews. I also can't even trust the reviews on Amazon no more. Many of them get the products for free for a "honest" bogus review. I rather watch real users review the products on YouTube which are more honest and then after I decide if it is worth it to buy it or not.

buzz86us

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Does CM Browser track me? I currently use it on one of my phones with low app space and it is a great browser... of course I always run it through [redacted by Mod] with every update and i don't experience ads.. would that remove tracking things as well?

Last edited by a moderator:

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Cheetah Mobile pushed the first update for Quick Pick, including a "feedback option". I'm sad because I really liked QuickPick, but it's time for me to uninstall.

Attachments

• 2746.jpg
    2746.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Read this and the links in it. Then ask yourself:
Is this a company that I want to support in any way?
What will they do with QuickPic in the future?

http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/7001396

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001

I have read that thread previously.

You will note that I did not express any support for Cheetah Mobile, nor actually give them any support.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but you didn't actually answer the question asked.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
If you don't accept what I said as answering your question, then the question must be answered in several parts.

1. Is QuickPic scamming my information?
2. Is QuickPic uploading my information?
3. If 1&2 are yes, what is Cheetah Mobile doing wit it?

Answering would require installing QuickPic and running Network Connections and possibly some other tests. I'm not about to bother. I already know that:

1. If not now, soon.
2. If not now, soon.
3. Bad Things.

Isn't that what matters?

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
In the long run, yes, that is what matters.

I am with you in having no desire to install the new version and run tests on it. However, given the nature of the Internet Geekdom, we both know that someone is going to do exactly that. My question is to them: did CM do it yet?

Vinnom

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
I know everyone is concerned about personal data, as this company is not trustful.

However, for now, everythings keeps as it was. The only problem would be use their cloud storage, but I don't and it isn't mandatory to use the app. By the way, you can deactivate it (their annoying folder-alike invite in the main screen). The new permission probably has something to do with their cloud storage, as you need it when you offer this kind of service.

Anyway, I updated it, I continued using it and everything is normal as ever. I recommend you to continue to, as it isn't the end of times.

Btw, their access to your data is limited, as they only have storage permission, which is limited to your /data/media partition. Apps usage and data are stored at /data/something or even /data/cache. To have access to this, they would need root permissions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia