For enterprise-level support and security, get these Android Enterprise Recommended devices

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Android Enterprise Recommended is a Google-validated program where devices and carriers are recommended for enterprise use. The goal of this program is to "Raise the bar of excellence for enterprise mobility" to address concerns that Google has heard from customers that include the need for frequent security updates, reliable and consistent software experiences, and a simplified device selection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GIc55fOPf0

When it comes to devices, the requirements can be found here.

Security update support90-day security updates
Major update release supportSupport current shipping release + one letter upgrade
Unlocked device availabilityUnlocked device must be available for purchase by enterprise customers through either:
  • A 3rd-party distributor
  • Direct from manufacturer
*Devices that are targeted exclusively for one specific country may apply for an exemption.

Clarifying the length of support, Google notes these are some of the requirements and best practices.

Some of the Android Enterprise Recommended requirements and best practices include:
  • Minimum hardware specifications for Android 7.0+ devices
  • Support for bulk deployment of Android devices including zero-touch enrollment
  • Delivery of Android security updates within 90 days of release from Google, for a minimum of three years
  • Availability of unlocked devices, direct from manufacturer or reseller
  • Consistent application experience in managed profiles and on managed devices

So what devices does Google recommend? The list was recently updated and new devices have been added. As of this post, here are the Android devices Google recommends based on the Android Enterprise Recommended program:

• BlackBerry KEYone
  • BlackBerry Motion
  • Google Pixel
  • Google Pixel XL
  • Google Pixel 2
  • Google Pixel 2 XL
  • HUAWEI Mate 10
  • HUAWEI Mate 10 Pro
  • HUAWEI MediaPad M5
  • HUAWEI P Smart
  • HUAWEI P10
  • HUAWEI P10 Plus
  • HUAWEI P10 lite
  • HUAWEI P20
  • HUAWEI P20 Pro
  • LG G6
  • LG V30
  • Motorola Moto X4
  • Motorola Moto Z2 Force Edition
  • Motorola Moto Z3 Play
  • Motorola Moto G6
  • Motorola Moto G6 Plus
  • New Nokia6
  • Nokia 3.1
  • Nokia 5.1
  • Nokia 7 Plus
  • Nokia 8
  • Nokia 8 Sirocco
  • Sharp AQUOS sense SH-01K
  • Sonim XP8
  • Sony Xperia XA2
  • Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra
  • Sony Xperia XZ Premium
  • Sony Xperia XZ1
  • Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact
  • Sony Xperia XZ2
  • Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact

You can check this link for the most up to date list.

A bit of a side note: included in these requirements is a requirement for Zero-Touch enrollment for seamless setup and deployment of
corporate-owned devices.

Current carrier partners for this include:

• Deutshe Telecom
  • AT&T
  • SoftBank
  • Verizon
  • BT

What do you think about these devices and the Android Enterprise Recommended program? Good start? Is it enough for security in enterprise?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbxQj0HdUjo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd2iUYm8PuY

Last edited:

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
A bit of a side note: included in these requirements is a requirement for Zero-Touch enrollment for seamless setup and deployment of
corporate-owned devices.

I'm curious what this entails. My customer (I work for a company doing contract IT support, dedicated to one company at one location) uses MobileIron to do the configuration and device management.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious what this entails. My customer (I work for a company doing contract IT support, dedicated to one company at one location) uses MobileIron to do the configuration and device management.

As I understand it, set up out of the box. As in I can order 100 handsets from carrier A, and have all of the work accounts (and software) ready to go without going manually handset by handset.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
As I understand it, set up out of the box. As in I can order 100 handsets from carrier A, and have all of the work accounts (and software) ready to go without going manually handset by handset.

So, similar to Apple's DEP (Device Enrollment Program).

That's a two-pronged approach - it prevents someone from outside the organization from setting up the device and it simplifies the enrollment.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I'm not surprised that there's no Samsung's on the list...... there really shouldn't be any Motorola/Lenovo either. As long as the major Android phone producers are dragging their proverbial azzes on the software and security update front, there's going to be constant customer complaints and loss of sales.

I do think Google is on the right track about fixing the problem though. I'll be buying nothing but pixels from here on out as long as I'm using Android, or until the other manufacturers get their acts together.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm not surprised that there's no Samsung's on the list...... there really shouldn't be any Motorola/Lenovo either. As long as the major Android phone producers are dragging their proverbial azzes on the software and security update front, there's going to be constant customer complaints and loss of sales.

I do think Google is on the right track about fixing the problem though. I'll be buying nothing but pixels from here on out as long as I'm using Android, or until the other manufacturers get their acts together.

Supposedly Samsung is doing their own thing with KNOX. And all the Motos are newer.

Regular consumers aren't complaining so it's not a big deal. It's the IT folks that have to deploy devices to enterprises that need this.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards