For iPhone power users switching to Pixel: the best apps/tweaks I've found

RedCarp703

Nov 5, 2018
Visit site
I was iPhone since 2009. A 3G, then a 4, then a 5S and 6 Plus.
After reading hundreds of reviews and forums, I bought a Pixel 2XL in October 2018.

Here are the apps I've found made the transition easier and Pixel life in general better:

APPS

Data Monitor - This app is everything. It shows a persistent banner on the lock screen and the notification shade of all the data used, on WiFi or cellular, and you can set a custom limit that matches your data plan. A great visual representation of everything you need to know.

Netify - Great app, it notifies you with a sound whenever you disconnect or connect to Wifi or 4G/LTE. I have it set to use the Gentle Gong sound. Unobtrusive and useful.

Glimpse Notifications - This, in my extensive experience, best replicates the "push" notifications of the iPhone for any power user switching. I shut off the always on display almost immediately and use this to push notifications to the lockscreen. It's superb.

TypeApp: I read a lot of newsletters to start my day. There was no reason to have them in my primary Gmail account, and I already had something similar going on before with iCloud. This app is clean, has larger typefaces, and a dark mode. It is ideal for centralizing newsletters and daily emails, wherever they may be coming from or their topic.

Brave - I discovered right after installing that the Brave browser allows you to play all media, including TV channels from various sources, in the background with the screen shut off. All you have to do is select what media you want to hear, press play, exit the app, pull down the notification shade, and press play again. CNN, NBC; anything you could want, playing in the background with the screen totally shut off.

Simple Sleep Timer - this nifty little app gives you a timer that can shut down any app after a preset amount of time. I primarily use it to shut off the Google Podcasts app after 1 hour in the nighttime.

TWEAKS

You really don't need adaptive battery. Wisdom is key here. There's no real reason to have screen brightness more than 30%. Bluetooth does not need to be on all the time. You get the drift. I'm averaging about 30 hours of standby and 6 hours of screen on time, which is impressive. I have a black wallpaper and I shut off most animations. Pure efficiency. I like to think of going to the Pixel from the iPhone as going from a sturdy Lexus to a BMW. You'll notice I didn't say Maybach or Mercedes. It's not a Mercedes; it's a BMW. A few performance tweaks and it will serve you well as a very efficient machine.

If there are other Pixel converts, please chime in.

NMCynthia

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
I downloaded Netify on your recommendation. I'm finding it interesting how even around my house WiFi will drop off and LTE will kick in, then WiFi will pick up again. I'm using Gentle Gong for WiFi and End Note for LTE, so it's easy to tell what's going on, and the tones are very unobtrusive. Thank you for your recommendation ... I love trying out apps that people talk about!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Do you have a mesh router system? If you only have wireless extenders or separate access points, there's more chance that you'll have dead spots.

NMCynthia

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
No, we only have the one router at one end of the (rather small) house. It's an Asus RT-AC66U that was recommended a couple years ago by a computer systems guy. It's definitely better than our old one! I'm sure that there's newer things that would be better!

RedCarp703

Nov 5, 2018
Visit site
I've also noticed that there is a handoff if I go upstairs between LTE and Wifi.

I utilize the local subway system a lot and there is a lot of handoff between 3G and LTE, which is understandable. Netify is helpful in that you don't have to keep your eyes glued to the service icon on the status bar. It tells you.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos