Galaxy Gear In Stock at Best Buy 10/4

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
The two are so easy to setup you didn't need go to them.

Posted via Android Central App

Ha, that's to you.. To a person that almost never had a smartphone, and a little lazy, it was quite a chore, I tell you that... ;) What might be very easy for some, doesn't have to be so easy for others.. ;)

azsdfsd

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
its a shame that's their job they should know these things. yeah jet black seems to be popular, already out of stock in amazon when they just replenished stock a few hours ago.

the rose gold and beige will probably come up the highest they are always out of stock

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
its a shame that's their job they should know these things. yeah jet black seems to be popular, already out of stock in amazon when they just replenished stock a few hours ago.

the rose gold and beige will probably come up the highest they are always out of stock
Seems like the beige would get dirty in a hurry.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I think that you all are being a bit too hard on the reps, themselves. I can see bashing Samsung for not training them, as it seems consistent that none of the Samsung reps knew how to set the Gear up. The rep that was there when I bought my Gear told me upfront that he hadn't seen one set up and didn't know the process. Both he and the guy that rang me up were thrilled that I was willing to do my setup in store and not wait until I got home so that they could see what it was like. The guys were nice and I enjoyed showing them the Gear and its setup process.

The initial display on the Gear gave me enough to know that the initial pairing is started via NFC, but I couldn't figure out that it was the charger that I had to tap. I had it in my mind that it was the phone (no, I hadn't seen the Sony SW video yet). So I had to read the instructions! Once I saw that it was the charger, I proceeded to the next step. My data connection was bad inside the store, so it took several tries for the Gear Manager app to download. After the download was complete, the fun began and I've been enjoying it ever since.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I think that you all are being a bit too hard on the reps, themselves. I can see bashing Samsung for not training them, as it seems consistent that none of the Samsung reps knew how to set the Gear up. The rep that was there when I bought my Gear told me upfront that he hadn't seen one set up and didn't know the process. Both he and the guy that rang me up were thrilled that I was willing to do my setup in store and not wait until I got home so that they could see what it was like. The guys were nice and I enjoyed showing them the Gear and its setup process.

The initial display on the Gear gave me enough to know that the initial pairing is started via NFC, but I couldn't figure out that it was the charger that I had to tap. I had it in my mind that it was the phone (no, I hadn't seen the Sony SW video yet). So I had to read the instructions! Once I saw that it was the charger, I proceeded to the next step. My data connection was bad inside the store, so it took several tries for the Gear Manager app to download. After the download was complete, the fun began and I've been enjoying it ever since.

On the contrary, the Note 3 and the Gear at the moment are the flagships. In addition, the rep in question was at a booth, where nothing but the GEAR was displayed!! The Gear at this moment, is ONLY fully compatible with the Note 3. So, what are they reprensenting? The two flagships, and the rep doesn't know jack chit?? I know if somebody in Samsung knew what was going on, some head would roll. Now, I can see a little bit, if the booth was for all Samsung prodcucts, TVS, cameras, etc..But, the booth was soley to promote the Galaxy Gear, and the rep doesn't know how to hook it up with the ONLY SAMSUNG phone that is fully compatible??

Also, this could have been cured with a HALF HOUR WORKSHOP for the reps!!

Just my two cents..

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't think customers should have to show the sales reps their trade.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't think customers should have to show the sales reps their trade.

I don't think that customers should have to, either. We probably just have different frames of thought on what sales people do these days when it comes to tech purchases. I don't like it when I buy phones from carrier stores and the reps tell me that they "have" to do the initial set-up of the phone. When I'm laying down ~$600 for the phone, I want the first fingerprints to be mine!

The Samsung reps' lack of knowledge worked for me, as it ensured that I don't have to argue with anyone over who sets-up my Gear. Besides, the geek and teacher in me loved being able to show them what the setup process was like.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
On the contrary, the Note 3 and the Gear at the moment are the flagships. In addition, the rep in question was at a booth, where nothing but the GEAR was displayed!! The Gear at this moment, is ONLY fully compatible with the Note 3. So, what are they reprensenting? The two flagships, and the rep doesn't know jack chit?? I know if somebody in Samsung knew what was going on, some head would roll. Now, I can see a little bit, if the booth was for all Samsung prodcucts, TVS, cameras, etc..But, the booth was soley to promote the Galaxy Gear, and the rep doesn't know how to hook it up with the ONLY SAMSUNG phone that is fully compatible??

Also, this could have been cured with a HALF HOUR WORKSHOP for the reps!!

Just my two cents..

That was my point in saying that the anger should be directed at Samsung, not the reps themselves. Samsung had to know that they didn't provide training. Samsung knew that they provided the Gear to District Managers and cellular carrier managers first, and in-store Samsung Experience reps weeks later.

The Samsung Experience areas in my area don't have the Gear displayed at all. This is probably due to theft concerns. I guess that I'm too used to sales reps telling me that my products are too new for them to know anything about it to get upset at this point. Samsung, as a company, is the worst in this area in my experience. I called Samsung sales last year when the Note II came out to ask about purchasing a charger and the S Pen with eraser. The rep's initial response was "how do you have the Note 2 already?" I called a couple of days after I bought it from T-Mobile. It had already been released in the US but it seemed that Samsung was unaware of this. I talked to other Samsung reps who seemed mystified, as well.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I called Samsung sales last year when the Note II came out to ask about purchasing a charger and the S Pen with eraser. The rep's initial response was "how do you have the Note 2 already?" I called a couple of days after I bought it from T-Mobile. It had already been released in the US but it seemed that Samsung was unaware of this. I talked to other Samsung reps who seemed mystified, as well.
This ^^^
Made me laugh so hard!!! :D:D:D:D
I would've love to see their faces when they asked you how did you have it already!!!
:thumbup::cool:

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

Mr Bigs

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
That was my point in saying that the anger should be directed at Samsung, not the reps themselves. Samsung had to know that they didn't provide training. Samsung knew that they provided the Gear to District Managers and cellular carrier managers first, and in-store Samsung Experience reps weeks later.

The Samsung Experience areas in my area don't have the Gear displayed at all. This is probably due to theft concerns. I guess that I'm too used to sales reps telling me that my products are too new for them to know anything about it to get upset at this point. Samsung, as a company, is the worst in this area in my experience. I called Samsung sales last year when the Note II came out to ask about purchasing a charger and the S Pen with eraser. The rep's initial response was "how do you have the Note 2 already?" I called a couple of days after I bought it from T-Mobile. It had already been released in the US but it seemed that Samsung was unaware of this. I talked to other Samsung reps who seemed mystified, as well.
I'm gonna say that this needs to be fixed in the hiring process,you have to be interested in,believe in and love the product you sell !!!! Basically enthusiasts like us should be selling these products. I do agree Samsung needs to be more aggressive in training the sales staff on new products but they are to blame also.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm gonna say that this needs to be fixed in the hiring process,you have to be interested in,believe in and love the product you sell !!!! Basically enthusiasts like us should be selling these products. I do agree Samsung needs to be more aggressive in training the sales staff on new products but they are to blame also.

I agree that enthusiasts would be nice to have as reps but that's not realistic. We phone enthusiasts are the minority. I think staff needs to be aware of what they're selling and be prepared to answer questions because that is, what I believe, they're being paid for. I think expecting the Samsung rep to be knowledgeable in the pairing process for the Gear is a reasonable expectation. I work in IT (have for 17 years) and I can assure you my management chain doesn't spoonfeed me training.

from my '14 Note 10.1

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I agree that enthusiasts would be nice to have as reps but that's not realistic. We phone enthusiasts are the minority. I think staff needs to be aware of what they're selling and be prepared to answer questions because that is, what I believe, they're being paid for. I think expecting the Samsung rep to be knowledgeable in the pairing process for the Gear is a reasonable expectation.

from my '14 Note 10.1

This would definitely be a better world if reps knew their stuff.

runamuck0870

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
The Samsung Store kiosk at BB is a joke, but the Apple Kiosk, when first introduced, was absolutely a train wreck of dis/misinformation as well. I had a blue shirt at the Apple kiosk tell me with a straight face that the reason he couldn't properly demonstrate iTunes playlist creation was because the Mac had a damaged .ini file in the registry that needed to be repaired. Not joking.....just pure spewage.

In general, if a blue shirt is speaking, they are making it up.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
It seems as if the manufacturers think to release the product first and train the reps later. Maybe their thinking is that early adopters already know how to use the products or can figure it out. I would hope that Samsung would get the training out before the holiday shopping season kicks into high gear.

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't think that customers should have to, either. We probably just have different frames of thought on what sales people do these days when it comes to tech purchases. I don't like it when I buy phones from carrier stores and the reps tell me that they "have" to do the initial set-up of the phone. When I'm laying down ~$600 for the phone, I want the first fingerprints to be mine!

The Samsung reps' lack of knowledge worked for me, as it ensured that I don't have to argue with anyone over who sets-up my Gear. Besides, the geek and teacher in me loved being able to show them what the setup process was like.

Just want to CORRECT what I have in BOLD.

These were NOT SALES PEOPLE, these were Samsung Representives at a booth displaying the Galaxy Gear and Note 3. The Bestbuy salespeople were the ones that were helping me and knew how to do it. The BB salespeople told me I needed the GG charging piece to get for the setup. The Samsung Rep was so out of touch, that she told me I didn't need the charging piece, that was only for charging.. Beleive me, I am not into bashing people, however, when they deserve strong criticism, IMO, they should have it. Again, these were not salespeople, these were Samsung Representatives displaying the GG and Note 3.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Just want to CORRECT what I have in BOLD.

These were NOT SALES PEOPLE, these were Samsung Representives at a booth displaying the Galaxy Gear and Note 3. The Bestbuy salespeople were the ones that were helping me and knew how to do it. The BB salespeople told me I needed the GG charging piece to get for the setup. The Samsung Rep was so out of touch, that she told me I didn't need the charging piece, that was only for charging.. Beleive me, I am not into bashing people, however, when they deserve strong criticism, IMO, they should have it. Again, these were not salespeople, these were Samsung Representatives displaying the GG and Note 3.

OK, we just had a difference in terms. I consider the Samsung reps to be sales people. All sales people do not double as cashiers.

We are not really saying different things overall, though. I think that Samsung should have told the reps that the initial pairing for the Gear involves tapping the charger, among other things. I just wasn't as bothered by the lack of knowledge as you were.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
OK, we just had a difference in terms. I consider the Samsung reps to be sales people. All sales people do not double as cashiers.

We are not really saying different things overall, though. I think that Samsung should have told the reps that the initial pairing for the Gear involves tapping the charger, among other things. I just wasn't as bothered by the lack of knowledge as you were.
I get what you're saying and actually think the same way. :thumbup::cool:

However, I too would've gotten upset with stupid people that represent something that they have no idea how it works! :mad::banghead: