Galaxy nexus only charges when phone is off and dosent when it is on!!!!! Help!!!!!!

Ted Nicholas1

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I also have this problem (my phone only charges when off) While pushing the small tag inside the usb port up I also took a lot of dust out of the port. I was able to fix my fathers phone which had not been charging by getting the dust out of the port. If you scrape lightly along the top half of the small tag inside the usb port, you may pull out a small ball of dust as I did. Im guessing it should help provide a better connection if the surfaces are clean.

highwayrob

May 2, 2014
Visit site
When I read this suggestion it didn't make sense to me as if it charges when off, to me that says Software issue. However after reading all the users that advise it resolved their issue I had to try it. I do have a side charger as this issue has been ongoing for a while. I bent the center pin towards the center as advised but issue remains. 8-(
odd that it does charge fine when it's above 20% but in a typical day I drop to just below that, as a result I use my Anker charger and a spare battery always charged which I replace in the morning. For $35 even if my USB fails entirely one day my phone will still be useable. :cool:
But what a pain. I'm still plenty sure this can be resolved with a proper softmod/update as this issue has different outcomes regardless of changes to hardware.

Kendra B-p

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
yall got a flat head to work? Im having that same problem. My sgn wont charge when turned on, but will charge when i power it off. I have had 4 chargers and 3 phones replaced in the past year for same inssue. So frustrated. Tried to push that pin up, but cant get the flat head in there. Tried a butter knife too, still not thin enough. :/

try an actual pin. A safety pin i mean. My boyfriends phone is the same way, but i managed to slip that saftey pin in there and push it up through . It works. Thanks all

angrymike

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
Thats awesome. Just experienced the same issue, took a stanley knife and pushed the pin up a bit and cleaned out the cavity. Worked like a charm. Thanks!

mere_iguana

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks a million!! my 2 year old Gnex just gave me the "only charges when it's off" bull****e, I tried different batteries and chargers to no avail. No USB recognition when plugged to a computer..

powered off, found a small flat head, gave the pin a little pry ( UPWARDS, toward the screen !!) I bent it up about 1/16th of an inch, where it now appears to be in the center of the port instead of near the bottom.

didn't bother to tyr charging while off, because that was still (kinda) working anyway. I powered on, then connected...

KABAM! it works!! lil lightning bolt shows up and now "charging normally" with all batteries and chargers, and it recognizes USB connection. You're a lifesaver buddy, thanks so much! :D

I know it seems like it's not the port, because it charges when it's off.. but trust me, I had the exact same problem, and bending the pin up a tad totally fixed it. give it a try! the pin should be near the center of the hole, if it's way down near the bottom, stick something underneath it and pry up a little. Make sure you POWER OFF first so you don't short anything by touching the leads with metal while you're bending it.

Last edited by a moderator:

phell coned

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Worked!! Thanks. At a glance, not knowing that the metal tab was out of place, upon looking over both the usb port and plug it appeared to me as though all was fine. All along however, evidently, such was not the case. I pressed tab upwards and Presto. After seeing the 'fix' and learning that the tab should be close to center i could see immediately that mine was way out of place down near the bottom. Pushing it upwards to the center seemed like am awful big 'push' and so I opted to push only till it had noticeably repositioned and now it works fine. I wouldn't force anything too too much without first checking to see if you can get away with less. Anyhow
... Thanks. Much Appreciated.

Dusyant Ram

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys,so I have this galaxy nexus made by Samsung.2 nights ago I noticed that it wasnt charging so I tried different chargers and it still didnt work.so I turned it off and noticed that it said it was charging... It took 3-5 hours until it was fully charged,now it repeats the "battery symbol" and I have a feeling it just charge then off then charge and off..... Please help me :(

I had the same problem with my lenovo s1 ! It was charging only when it was switched off ! I tried rebooting nothing worked ! Its quite simple ! Open your google play store and go to updates! Update an app called 'android system webview'! Restart your device ! This may be silly but it worked for me ! It costs nearly 40 mb but give it a try !!

Aditya Arohan

Sep 8, 2016
Visit site
My phone suddenly stopped being able to charge last night. I had it charging fine at work on the USB cable to my computer, same cable I've used for a year. Got home, plugged it into the cable I use there (which is connected to my computer) and it wouldn't charge or even be recognized by the USB on the computer. I ignored it. When I went to bed I plugged it into the dedicated power supply that came with the phone, the same one I use every night to let it charge. It wouldn't charge. As soon as I powered off the phone it would charge but if I turned the phone on (with or without it being plugged in) it wouldn't charge and acted like there was no cable present.

I'ved tried this on three computers, with the original power cable and charger along with the charger for the car. All of which have worked fine since I got the phone. It's like it is partially working but something has suddenly disabled the charging? I haven't done any updates nor done any other changes to the phone. The connectors look fine, no bent pins that I can see.

EDIT: On the XDA forum someone mentioned trying to push the USB connector up a tiny bit as it gets bent down and starts to touch the metal casing inside. I did this and now the phone has returned back to normal. xda-developers - View Single Post - Galaxy Nexus Won't Charge

I have also faced a same problem in my Lenovo vibe s1,so I just formatted my phone and now the problem is over ,u can try this ,see if it can work for u or not.this problem generally occurs when u insert a damaged otg cable in ur phone

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolwilliamson