Galaxy S2 vs. Amaze 4G

jrsfalcons

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys I have a htc sensation now and have yet to see the galaxy s 2 in person but videos looks like it has a better screen.If I switch to a galaxy s 2 is there a difference from sensation as far am I upgrading to a better quality phone?

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
When i was in the T-Mo store playing with the Amaze a couple of things about it made me think it will be the SGS II for me allll the way.

The Amaze with the Black and silver trim is undoubedly the classiest sexiest phone available today, but those "My Touch" rounded corners really detracted from the form factor. Had the corners been more squared off like the EVO 4G, it would have easily made the decision between the two phones (from a design point of view) 100% in favor of The Amaze. But WITH the rounded corners, not so much....

When both phones are turned OFF, the way you can barely see the glass from the bezel on the SGSII is very sleek looking.

At the store, even with the 1GB Ram and 1.5 dual core proc power, the Amaze STILL hesitated and would say "loading" for brief moments. Didn't really care for that, considering there was barely any apps or photos or music on the thing.

The Amaze with its 960x540 res while sharper, is also longer and narrower, better for landscape, but not as good in Portrait mode as the SGSII (which is how i hold my phone 95% of the time)

Those two dedicated camera/camcorder buttons were "awesome". I really think that is its best feature, going from a locked phone to be able to catch a "kodak moment" in an instant is a phenomenal feature, but i can't allow it to influence my decision, as i use my phone for a lot more than just taking pics.

I think the Amaze is def an upgrade to the Sensation in every way, from form factor, RAM, Processing power, internal mem, the ded camera buttons, NFC Support, upgraded O/s (2.4 vs 2.3) 2MP FFC vs 1.3, bigger battery and 4G support, but from using the Samsung Epic Touch for a week (terrible signal) and now being on AT&T (with the SGS II for the past few days -4.3 screen not doing it for me : ) i just think i will choose the T-Mo version of the SGS II, i just love the way it flies
and N-E-V-E-R chokes, and the lightweigh of it, the color saturation and lastly the 4.5 inch size....

For me since i love HTC 3.0 so much, i went out and got a 7 inch Flyer tablet at Best Buy this weekend for only $299.99, and that tablet is soooo perfect it will easily tend to any & all my "HTC needs" Its kinda like a giant Amaze : )

Hope this comparison helps

BTC

Last edited:

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
...The Galaxy S II screen was like looking at a TV with the color turned up to 100%...
I bet you are right. Someone had cranked up the saturation on the demo unit. To turn the saturation back down, tap Home > Menu > Settings > Display > Display mode.
I got to hold the Amaze yesterday and was really surprised by how heavy it was...
Yes, the Amaze is 25% heavier than the T-Mobile Galaxy S II (SGS2).
...it's beautiful -- best phone T-Mobile has ever had IMO, and I'll cry when i have to send the review unit back lol...
When all the sites chose the best Android to compare to the new iPhone 4S, almost all picked the Galaxy S II.

Overall the two phones are similar. See the pdadb.net and phonearena spec comparisons for more details on the differences.

Physical Specs
Screen Size: The Amaze screen area is 10% smaller. (8.6in2)
Overall Size: The Amaze is almost 20% bigger
→ 4.3" HTC Amaze: 5.12" x 2.58" x 0.46" = 6.1 in?
→ 4.5" TMSGS2: 5.10" x 2.70" x 0.38' = 5.2 in?
Weight: The Amaze is 28% heavier
DLNA: The Amaze does not have DLNA
Battery Life: TMSGS2 has SAMOLED and a slightly larger battery
NFC: TMSGS2
Wireless sync: TMSGS2
Bluetooth mouse/keyboard: TMSGS2
USB Host: TMSGS2 (Memory stick, etc.)

TouchWiz 4.0 also has Resizable Widgets, Multiple item Clipboard, Splitscreen email/texts, App Folders, Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync, etc. but there are Sense features not in TouchWiz too.

You can look at specs and features but it comes down to what feels best to you and there is always another phone coming that will be better.

Last edited:

jrsfalcons

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Well I went to my local TMobile and the guy was telling me they have them but there is no way I can even see them till sale day Wednesday. I will be getting the samsung galaxy s2. Now I love my sensation and the amaze looks just like my sensations running system which I'm getting bored with and do notice it lags a bit.I'm a sucker for the bigger screen and speed and the display just looks amazing on the galaxy from what I can see on you tube :).

bipoler#AC

Banned
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I tried this phone out today at store, didn't care for htc sense memo reminded me of my old htc touch pro but loved the hardwear buttons for camera. And the galaxy just didn't compare to my epic touch so I'm going to stay with sprint.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

JackRussell

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I am looking at both phones myself, as I become eligible for an upgrade in a few days. Lots of info out there, and as best I can tell both are really decent phones.

A couple other things stand out as differences:

The Amaze has a notification LED. The Samsung does not.
The Amaze has FM radio capability. As best anyone can tell, the T-Mobile version does not (other versions do??).

The things people complain about with the Amaze are battery life and there have been some complaints about the antenna. HTC isn't quite as "developer-friendly" - apparently the bootloader is locked (but HTC now makes it easy to unlock).

As to the Samsung, there have been some complaints about the screen (vertical stripes in low-light conditions). CyanogenMod7 is available already for the SGSII.

I keep going back and forth myself - it is hard to really gauge how serious the issues are that people complain about. I suppose the problems aren't widespread or you would have tons of complaints. If I had to pick right this moment, I would probably take the Amaze, but earlier today I might have gone with the Samsung.

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I think the SGS2 is faster. This is probably because TW isn't as heavy of a skin as Sense is. qHD also causes many apps to look distored since most are designed for WVGA. The SAMOLED+ display more than compensates for the resolution.

justinnowak

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I had used both for a period of time before I settled with the SGS2. I just like the SAMOLED screen and it seemed to be a bit smoother. Another part of the decision was that I have a galaxy tab 10.1 so it was nice to have one brand!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Summer_glow