Galaxy S6 - Crackling sound from internal speaker, how can I fix it?

A

AC Question

Galaxy S6 - Crackling sound from internal speaker

Hi, since a few weeks I own a Galaxy S6. Great phone, but lately I'm having problems with the internal speaker. Whatever sound played from it, it sounds distorted after a few seconds. Does anyone have or had this problem and has any idea what causes it and how to solve it? Your reaction is much appreciated :)

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S6 - Crackling sound from internal speaker

Welcome to the forums!

If it is a physical problem with the speakers a technician would have to repair them. Does the sound drop if you drop the volume a little bit?

JRN1e

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site

Thank you, and thanks for your answer. The volume lowers as I drop the volume a bit, the distortion persists. Another strange thing, that I just noticed, is when I have my screen active and play a sound it starts of normally. Then when I turn the screen off the sound keeps on playing but all distorted.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Thank you, and thanks for your answer. The volume lowers as I drop the volume a bit, the distortion persists. Another strange thing, that I just noticed, is when I have my screen active and play a sound it starts of normally. Then when I turn the screen off the sound keeps on playing but all distorted.

Well I meant does the distortion continue if the sound is dropped.

Is it happening on playback on an app or does it happen with a ringtone playing or going to YouTube on the browser?

JRN1e

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi, the distortion continues. It happens from various sources actually, like playing music from Poweramp or Spotify, playing videos from the Facebook app, when my alarm goes off in the morning, etc. The sound first starts of normal, but after a few seconds it all sounds scrambled.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi, the distortion continues. It happens from various sources actually, like playing music from Poweramp or Spotify, playing videos from the Facebook app, when my alarm goes off in the morning, etc. The sound first starts of normal, but after a few seconds it all sounds scrambled.

Well I think that is a good chance that it is down thing physically wrong with it. You could either do a warranty exchange or send it to Samsung for repair.

Of you are outside the US where they have Samsung stores, you can take it by there and they do a lot of repairs in store.

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Same problem here on the S6 active.

I'm not convinced it's a hardware problem because it works fine for the first couple seconds. Plus the active is supposed to be shock proof right? and I haven't even dropped it yet. (knock on wood)

Matthew Smith24

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Same problem here on the S6 active.

I'm not convinced it's a hardware problem because it works fine for the first couple seconds. Plus the active is supposed to be shock proof right? and I haven't even dropped it yet. (knock on wood)

Yea I have the s6 active also and it is doing the same thing. It's a brand new phone, never droped on ground or in water

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Hardware issue if it's doing it across the board with all sounds. Need to contact Samsung for a warranty repair.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

duketreo

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the same issue. Otherwise, my phone is great. When my screen goes off and wifi is off, the crackling starts. I've just given up and leave wifi on when listening even if don't need it. It's not worth returning the phone.

Katrina Turner

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
I have the SAME issue with my speaker crackling. It's mostly when I play videos, BUT I usually keep my ringer on silent and I rarely stream music so it could likely be crackling on everything. It's awful and I've had it less than a month. Seems like this could be a known issue. Anyone had any luck with tech support yet?

duketreo

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

So if your WiFi is on, there isn't any crackling noise?

Correct. There were a couple of other threads about this. Wifi and screen off during podcast= crackle.

MSenge

Jan 1, 2016
Visit site
The problem is with your network..... I called AT&T yesterday before I was about to throw my S6 out the window and if your network has upgraded you to HD audio ....THAT IS THE PROBLEM...the rep changed mine back to SD audio and BAM!! PROBLEM FIXED NO MORE CRACKLE!!!

tea_2015

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
The problem is with your network..... I called AT&T yesterday before I was about to throw my S6 out the window and if your network has upgraded you to HD audio ....THAT IS THE PROBLEM...the rep changed mine back to SD audio and BAM!! PROBLEM FIXED NO MORE CRACKLE!!!

Can I switch from HD audio to SD on my own or do I have to go into the store to do so?

Ladygray07

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Ok figured out how to fix this on the S6 Active on the AT&T network!

1. Go to Settings > Connections > Mobile Networks > Mobile Data.
2. UNCHECK the "Enhanced 4G LTE Services" box.
3. Restart your phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

tea_2015

Jan 8, 2016
Visit site
Does anyone happen to know how to do this on T-Mobile?

Is the "Enhanced 4G LTE Services" the same as VoLTE? I think there are two ways I think I can change the setting.

One is through Settings > Mobile Networks > Network Mode and then changing it from LTE/WCDMA/GSM to WCDMA/GSM.

Another way is Phone > More in the top corner > Voice over LTE settings > and then changing it from Use VoLTE when available to Do not use VoLTE.

M Heuer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
Does anyone happen to know how to do this on T-Mobile?

Is the "Enhanced 4G LTE Services" the same as VoLTE? I think there are two ways I think I can change the setting.

One is through Settings > Mobile Networks > Network Mode and then changing it from LTE/WCDMA/GSM to WCDMA/GSM.

Another way is Phone > More in the top corner > Voice over LTE settings > and then changing it from Use VoLTE when available to Do not use VoLTE.

I don't know if anyone has solved this yet, but I just bought a Galaxy S6 and after the system updated I started having the same problem. The crackling only occurred when I was listening to audio online, so I updated Google and Google Chrome and it fixed the problem immediately. Something worth trying.

Last edited by a moderator: