Galaxy S8 / S8 + Battery Life Thread

gops2116

May 6, 2017
Visit site
Exactly. Had the same thing happening to my s7. Half the SoT as you guys claimed !
One last thing I can think of is that Instagram is draining my battery. I use the app intensely and check it at least a couple of times every hour.

Maybe I could delete it off my phone to see what happens to my SoT

If instagram (or any app) was the culprit you would have known already. It would have popped up in the battery usage stats, right?

gops2116

May 6, 2017
Visit site
Sounds like a use case... a mix between the way you use the phones and signal strength. My S8+ is WAY better than my S7 Edge ever was. Also might be the difference between Snap Dragon VS Exynos.

Not sure about Exynos, Snapdragon point. It can't be so drastic anyway, right? I agree on the use case point though. We all use our phones differently. I use the Exynos S8+ and i consistently get 10hrs usage over 24hrs between charges. SOT isn't my thing as I use the phone to make calls as well! Attached stats will show that even with active usage, battery drain is just above 4% an hour.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170519-210815.jpg
    Screenshot_20170519-210815.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 39

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm curious to know : To all the people who get 6+ hours sot how did you manage to get that much time on it 0.0 what's your setting,disabled apps ? what is that sorcery XD the best i managed was a bit over 5 hours sot .

gops2116

May 6, 2017
Visit site
I'm curious to know : To all the people who get 6+ hours sot how did you manage to get that much time on it 0.0 what's your setting,disabled apps ? what is that sorcery XD the best i managed was a bit over 5 hours sot .

Most of em dont use the phone to make calls ☺️
Just don't go only by the SOT, there are many other things that consume phone resources and hence impact battery life. On continuous use the S8 + can easily top the endurance game.

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Most of em dont use the phone to make calls ☺️
Just don't go only by the SOT, there are many other things that consume phone resources and hence impact battery life. On continuous use the S8 + can easily top the endurance game.

I barely do phone calls too :p though i don't really check the sot (plenty satisfied with what i have) i was mainly curious about the usage of these people as i can't lie 8 hours of screen being on is a bit ridiculous imo and i know someone posted a screenshot with 11 hours XD (probably on heavy battery saver).

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I barely do phone calls too :p though i don't really check the sot (plenty satisfied with what i have) i was mainly curious about the usage of these people as i can't lie 8 hours of screen being on is a bit ridiculous imo and i know someone posted a screenshot with 11 hours XD (probably on heavy battery saver).

Well, that's the never ending story, every year with each Flagship release you will find this Battery life threads and people showing their Stats and when they don't show what others are getting then the doubts and theories and even accusations begin, that's why I no longer even reply to any post with such actions.

I posted my battery life the next day I got my phone, amazing enough to let you all know about it, I'm happy to say that it has been consistent (as my usage) on average of 7 hours of SOT, that doesn't mean that I go 7 hours on my phone during the day, it just means that by the time I go to sleep or put it on the charger it has an average of 50% left with around 3.5 hours of SOT and 18 hours off a charger, so you do the math.

Since I got the Google Pixel I got used to not turn off a lot of things I always turned off before on each phone I got, even Location History is on with High Accuracy Location settings, no power Saving mode, ever, QHD resolution at around 40% brightness with Auto On, 2 google accounts syncing most services, BT connected most of the day with my S3, S Health tracking my daily activities and what not.

Only things I always turn off and will continue doing so are:

1-)Wifi Calling (T-Mobile)
2-)NFC
3-)Wifi scanning and BT scanning options on "Improve Accuracy" on Location Settings
4-)Disable T-Mobile TV, Caller Name-ID and Google apps I don't use, and Briefing and Lookout via Package Disabler that I paid for long time ago.
5-)I tried the Always On Display for a couple of days but even when it doesn't affect too much the battery I really didn't like it that much and turned it off, I'm just using the LED indicator and the "Easy screen turn on" option on the Dexterity and Interaction menu of the Accessibility settings.

So as you can see, don't judge if you don't get same results, people don't need to come here to lie or exaggerate stats (well at least not me), we just come here to show what this phone is really capable of, and in cases like mine where I've had about 10 phones in the past year, we can really have real life stats with real life usage compared to our previous phones with the same or basically the same usage, and so far, this phone has been really great.

Last edited:

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I really appreciate that answer BUT i never wanted that much power from my phone i was mostly curious as to what they did with their s8(+) to get that much sot i'm plenty satisfied with my 4-5 hours as standby is my biggest issue and it's been fantastic for me i loose 1% at most at night which is awesome (ofc i disable alot but i'm sleeping so idc). I do disable alot of built in apps like carrier bloatware (and some google apps) everyone has different use and everyone will get different results i knew that i just like to discuss :p

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
If instagram (or any app) was the culprit you would have known already. It would have popped up in the battery usage stats, right?

Android seems to hide a lot of battery use under 'android system' and 'android os' not even gsam gives you a proper view of exactly what's using the battery.

jasonb

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
This is at my job with bad signal, then at home with a very good signal. Both on WiFi so any data being transferred would have been over wifi when I was at work, and at home. So bad signal equals much worse battery drain. I can get as bad as 3 hours screen on time, or upwards of 6 hours of screen on time.

At home I get great battery life, while at work, not so much.

Screenshot_20170520-003332.jpg

Even still, the phone will get by an entire day without charging

gops2116

May 6, 2017
Visit site
Android seems to hide a lot of battery use under 'android system' and 'android os' not even gsam gives you a proper view of exactly what's using the battery.

My Accubattery pro gives a detailed break up

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170520-101918.jpg
    Screenshot_20170520-101918.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 26

LetMeKnowIf

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Does someone know how to stop the proximity sensor from draining the battery? I disabled a lot features but it seems I forget something, my sensor is always in the background for like 3 hours

Targatheory

Banned
May 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

SOT= 1hr, 51m, 28s
Computed Power Usage=520mAh

Does this sound right? I've seen some yours and videos that are 4hrs SOT with about 700mAh.
Does the app you're using affect the screen's drain?

Anyway
S8 SOT Test 1.jpgS8 Battery Test 1.jpg

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
So I used to get 4hours of SoT with is bad. Now I sold my s8 olus and bought a dual SIM s8 plus. My new SoT is under 3 hours. How I wish I didn't complain before. Might be time to go back to my iPhone 7 plus.

ClintRo

Trusted Member
Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
So I used to get 4hours of SoT with is bad. Now I sold my s8 olus and bought a dual SIM s8 plus. My new SoT is under 3 hours. How I wish I didn't complain before. Might be time to go back to my iPhone 7 plus.

Does your iPhone really get much better battery life? Maybe it is time to go back. If your S8 won't get you through the day and the iPhone will. My usage kills the iPhone battery and this phone is much better.

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Does your iPhone really get much better battery life? Maybe it is time to go back. If your S8 won't get you through the day and the iPhone will. My usage kills the iPhone battery and this phone is much better.
Yeah my iPhone did much better. The idle was so incredible.
But besides that my s8 plus does everything else better. Hard to say good bye to that screen just because the battery sucks.

waveuk

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
For those having bad battery life, particularly on idle.

I had a few days with poor battery life. Surprisingly it was great while sleeping but bad during the day.

Then I noticed my phone was not going to deep sleep while the screen was off.

After googling a bit I come back to the solution. The smart lock with my smart watch was stoping the phone to go to sleep.

During the night I disconnected the Bluetooth to avoid smart watch notifications. That is why was so good during the night and bad during the day.

Have a look to your smart lock settings.

steven Hadjez

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
So you couldn't get a full day out of it?
À short day is fine. If I go to bed at 9h30 pm. Beyond that no way. I run out.
For those having bad battery life, particularly on idle.

I had a few days with poor battery life. Surprisingly it was great while sleeping but bad during the day.

Then I noticed my phone was not going to deep sleep while the screen was off.

After googling a bit I come back to the solution. The smart lock with my smart watch was stoping the phone to go to sleep.

During the night I disconnected the Bluetooth to avoid smart watch notifications. That is why was so good during the night and bad during the day.

Have a look to your smart lock settings.
Nice. Too bad I don't I don't have it on !

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynempire