GB install advice needed

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I have the instructions to dl and install the stock GB but have a couple questions,not having done this before...

1 - the name of the file to be dl is the same as the one from December that held the 2.3.340 update for Froyo, making it 2.2.1. It this still a good file for GB despite the name?

2 -- HOW do you dl this file and "drop it onto the root of the SD card" as the instructions indicate?

3 -- Once it's on the SD card, do you use Astro File Manager to find it and rename the file?

After that, the directions are pretty clear. Thanks in advance for any help!

BrianTX

Jul 23, 2010
plus.google.com
Once you download it, the file will be in your download folder on your sd card. Use astro to rename the file and move it out of the download folder. The root of your sd card is the top level, when you see all of the folders that are on your sd card, you are at the top level, drop the file there. Hth

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Thank you Seattle. I'm assuming that, to change the file name, I would hit menu with the file (unopened) on the screen?

You've been a great help!! Thanks again!

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
The root of your sd card is the top level, when you see all of the folders that are on your sd card, you are at the top level, drop the file there. Hth

One more question (forgive me) ... When you say to drop the file at the top level - that means DON'T put it INTO any folder - just so it's listed (by itself) along with the other folders?

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
An easy way to put things on your sd root is to use your pc. Astro is very tap sensitive for me thats why I dont use it for file transferring. Im guessing u already know(judging by your post count), but if not...

Plug your X into your pc via USB. Make sure you have usb mass storage selected on your notification drop down. Open My Computer and you will see the SD card as a drive. Just drag and drop files onto that drive as is and it will go on the root of your card.

dea0002

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Do no rename to update.zip....just the word update.

For what it's worth, I did have to name the downloaded file "update.zip", and I was just able to successfully upgrade to GB.

I downloaded the file over the 3G mobile network (I was at work, wasn't feeling productive, and couldn't connect my phone to a computer) and moved/renamed the file using Astro. I originally tried to apply the update with the downloaded file named simply "update" but received an error. After I rebooted the phone and used Astro to rename the downloaded file to "update.zip", the installation sailed right along. :)

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Did you download directly to the X via USB or first to your computer and then drag/drop to the X?

if your directing that question to me, I download everything on my laptop(never leave home without it), then USB my X and drag/drop to it. It is my way of doin things is all

kentusmc

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
First off don't do it lol, its still very buggy, I think that this may be why VZW denied that they were pushing the OTA. I am getting a lot of random reboots and some WiFi issues.

And second, I renamed it to update.zip and it worked fine, maybe I'm just special lol

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Thank you all for your input. Everything went extremely smoothly and I am now on GB. Before I attempted to do this, I uninstalled a lot of misc apps and then did a Factory Data Reset - just to be certain all was nice and neat.

I then followed the directions in this thread. I downloaded the update to my laptop, changed the name to update.zip, plugged in my X via USB, dragged the file to the SD card, dropped it there.

Then I followed the instructions about installation detailed in many other threads and blogs. No glitches whatsoever. Am now trying out various apps, seeing which ones will work with GB. Finding some aren't compatible at this point - GB being so new. But many work just fine.

Overall, I am totally impressed with the GB changes. Love the color variety and the little upgrades in visuals. Working extremely fast, too, and doesn't seem to be a battery hog.

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
As a BTW to this ...

I ended up with the perpetual sync icon in the notification bar. After research in this forum, I (reluctantly) did a factory reset, cache cleanup, and reboot. During process, I learned that the sync icon was related to the X's Gmail/Google info being synced with cloud Gmail/Google. Once all that info was synced (contacts, gmail, calendar, BOOKS = new but still a participant!), the icon finally disappeared.

Not sure why it didn't complete the sync on the initial install. But now all is peachy-keen, working smoothly and friendly to most Froyo apps. VERY few problems with this update and lots of goodness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roth4796