Gear S3 & Android Auto issues

dzstoys

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
I have to plug my phone in via USB in order to use Android Auto in my car with the Ford Sync 3 system.

The watch stays connected while using Android Auto and I get notifications on the watch while I am driving. When I shut the car off and disconnect the USB-C from my phone (S8 Plus and Note 5) the watch disconnects. I have to open the gear app and press the "connect" button to get it to connect again.

I am not sure where to start on this, has anyone had a similar issue?

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
It has Bluetooth, but Android Auto only works with a cable connection.

Ok, so you're trying to use your car's in dash screen to control AA? Sorry, I don't understand your issue. And you stated a S8+ and Note 5. You use them at the same time? Or you have this issue no matter which phone you're using?

I have two Nissan vehicles, a GS7 and a Gear S3. When I get in either vehicle, AA automatically kicks in when the bt connect. Granted, I only have AA on my phone screen, but it works. My Gear S3 still gives me notifications too. When I shut my vehicle off, my bt connection remains connected to my Gear S3.

Are all of your devices updated? The Gear app just had an update come out. Could that be the issue?

dzstoys

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Ok, so you're trying to use your car's in dash screen to control AA?
Yes, Ford Sync displays the Android Auto and compatible apps on the in dash screen and you can control the apps using the in dash touch screen.
Sorry, I don't understand your issue. And you stated a S8+ and Note 5. You use them at the same time? Or you have this issue no matter which phone you're using?
It does not matter which I am using. I had the same issue with the Note 5 and still have the issue with the S8+
I have two Nissan vehicles, a GS7 and a Gear S3. When I get in either vehicle, AA automatically kicks in when the bt connect. Granted, I only have AA on my phone screen, but it works.
I have to plug my phone in to one of the USB ports in my car to display the Android Auto on the in dash screen. I have tried both ports and get the same results.
My Gear S3 still gives me notifications too. When I shut my vehicle off, my bt connection remains connected to my Gear S3.
My Gear S3 bluetooth disconnects from my phone as soon as I disconnect the USB cable connecting my phone to my car.
Are all of your devices updated? The Gear app just had an update come out. Could that be the issue?
All devices are updated to the latest released version for each. The watch would disconnect with the old version and still does with the update that I downloaded yesterday.

11B1P

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Could be that AA is too new for your Ford Sync system. Is there some way to check and see if Ford Sync needs an update?

dzstoys

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Could be that AA is too new for your Ford Sync system. Is there some way to check and see if Ford Sync needs an update?

Not likely, it is a brand new car with the latest Sync 3 updates.

I just set up a tasker profile that will turn off bluetooth, wait 10 seconds and then turn it back on. We will see if this workaround helps for now.

Ca_lvn

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Re: Gear S3 & Android Auto issues

My watch rings the phone rings and the car rings all at once for calls there's no not hearing that and you can answer any way you choose, no AA so I just preview on watch and keep driving 🚘
And I have coustom ring tones on the watch so all 3sound the same

bucsnnoles

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the exact same issue with a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, Samsung Gear S2, and new 2017 Silverado. It's driving me crazy. The Gear S2 stays connected until I unplug the USB cable in the truck. There has to be an answer somewhere.

p1eric

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I have this problem with Galaxy S7E / Gear S3 / Chevy Colorado. If I turn off the ignition and then unplug the USB cable it causes my watch to disconnect. However if I put it in park and unplug the USB before turning off the truck then it stays connected. It's an odd bug.

bucsnnoles

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I have this problem with Galaxy S7E / Gear S3 / Chevy Colorado. If I turn off the ignition and then unplug the USB cable it causes my watch to disconnect. However if I put it in park and unplug the USB before turning off the truck then it stays connected. It's an odd bug.

Interesting. I'll see if it's the same for me. I wonder if it might have something to do with the actual USB cable itself, too. I'm using a stock Samsung USB cable, but not sure if it was the one that came with the S7E or from a previous Samsung phone.

bucsnnoles

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
So I did a little quick testing and it seems to disconnect when you shut off the vehicle and open the door (which turns off the stereo) while the USB cable is still connected.

p1eric

May 17, 2010
Visit site
So I did a little quick testing and it seems to disconnect when you shut off the vehicle and open the door (which turns off the stereo) while the USB cable is still connected.

I did a couple tests as well and found the exact same thing. It didn't disconnect until the door opened.

dzstoys

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Glad I am not the only one having the issue, maybe the issue will get fixed in the future. I just went out to the car and checked, mine will disconnect if I still have the phone plugged in and I open the door to the car as well. It is not the usual order I do things in so I did not notice this until I tried it.

I tried using Tasker to cycle bluetooth on my phone, but that did not work. The watch did not automatically connect when the bluetoothe came back on.

What I am doing now sort of works, I am using tasker and the AutoInput plugin to:

launch the Gear app and find/press the connect button
go back to the home screen

I still have to interact with the phone, but it is linked to a Nova Launcher swipe on the gear manager icon on my home screen.

bucsnnoles

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
So I tried some different USB cables and no luck there. I've also tried changing settings in the Android Auto app and no luck. I've seen this thread and a few others on the web where people are having this issue, but it's not enough to make me think that everyone with AA and gear S2/S3 watches are having this issue.
Has anyone tried even just reinstalling the gear app? What else have you guys tried?

Do you all by chance use Samsung Pay?

mikefletcher85

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Anyone ever figure this out? Its SUPER annoying. I have 2 Fords with AA (2017 Fusion Sport and Explorer Sport) both have the same exact issue. I emailed Samsung support and got a BS canned response. I really wished there was a way from the watch to reconnect instead of having to open the Gear app on the phone.

What phones are you people using that are having this issue? I have an S8+ on at&t. I also had the same issue with my S7 Edge. I have wiped the S7 Edge, S8+ and the Gear S3 all attempting to fix this issue. None of it worked. Samsung it trying to blame the car :/

I use Samsung Pay alot and its the reason why I switched from my Moto 360 smartwatch to the Gear S3

mikefletcher85

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
I have emailed Samsung 2 times now about this issue and they are still trying to pass the buck and blame Ford. They suggested that I turn off the car's bluetooth (which is not really an option these days, I rely too much on being able to make calls in my car). So I decided to see what happens. Maybe someone here can try to test this and see if you have the same results.
I started my car, connected my phone to my Ford Fusion like I would normally. I even started a song on on Spotify. Then I used the option to return to Sync (exits the AA interface and takes you back to the Sync dash), from there I went in to settings and turned off bluetooth. 2 seconds later my watch disconnected.
I disconnected the USB cable from the phone, turned off the car (opened the door too) and reconnected my watch to my phone. I turned the car on again, but did NOT plug the USB cable in. My phone connected to the car via Bluetooth (like it would normally do). I then went to the bluetooth menu on my phone and tapped the bluetooth connection to the car (this disconnects it) but the watch stayed connected. Then I reconnected the bluetooth. Then I turned off the car's bluetooth (without connecting the USB cable) and still the watch stayed connected. I then turned on the car's bluetooth, then connected the USB cable to the phone. I exited the AA interface and turned off the car's bluetooth and BAM the watch disconnects again.

If anyone has some time, could they try what I did and see if you can repeat the results?

Charles Maughan

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I have to plug my phone in via USB in order to use Android Auto in my car with the Ford Sync 3 system.

The watch stays connected while using Android Auto and I get notifications on the watch while I am driving. When I shut the car off and disconnect the USB-C from my phone (S8 Plus and Note 5) the watch disconnects. I have to open the gear app and press the "connect" button to get it to connect again.

I am not sure where to start on this, has anyone had a similar issue?

I have a 2016 VW eGOLF and am experiencing a similar issue.
My Gear S3 disconnects as soon as my Samsung S7 Edge connects to Android Auto.

pkoya1

Feb 20, 2017
Visit site
I have a 2017 Kia Optima with the same issue. Disconnects right once it is plugged in android auto however one time it stayed connected and disconnected when the car was turned off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
azrae9484