Getting rid of my GNex - NEED SUGGESTIONS

jsm1985

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I've decided move on from my Galaxy Nexus. I'm on Verizon and I've been looking at suggestions. I'm leaning towards the Droid Maxx w/ the huge battery. From what I've read, the major downside to this phone is the price ($299). I've found a rebate going on for the next week where I'll get $175 off, so it would only cost me $125 after the rebate.

What are people's thoughts on options for Verizon android phones? I've been using Cyanogenmod for over a year now on my GNex. I would have loved to get the Nexus 5, but Verizon never seems to make things easy.

Thanks for all suggestions!

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I've decided move on from my Galaxy Nexus. I'm on Verizon and I've been looking at suggestions. I'm leaning towards the Droid Maxx w/ the huge battery. From what I've read, the major downside to this phone is the price ($299). I've found a rebate going on for the next week where I'll get $175 off, so it would only cost me $125 after the rebate.

What are people's thoughts on options for Verizon android phones? I've been using Cyanogenmod for over a year now on my GNex. I would have loved to get the Nexus 5, but Verizon never seems to make things easy.

Thanks for all suggestions!

I suggest either the Moto X or the LG G2.

RJV3

May 18, 2011
Visit site
This depends on the type of user you are for smartphones. I had my GNex on verizon for a whole and gave it to the girlfriend and moved onto the s4. Mainly because of the s4 features and the hardware specs. I knew I wanted to root my phone and ultimately flash different roms so for me that was the best bet. I personally would have gotten the note but the phone was too big for my taste. Moto x and LG 2 are nice, but so are all the new phones out now. Try to figure out what kind of user you are and it will help narrow down your options.

Sent from my Hyperdrive Rls 12 Galaxy S4

Xanth269

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
wife went from Gnex to motoX and loves it. I want to got to MAXX for battery life. while I like the custom roms, i really need battery life now.

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
If the most important feature to you is battery life then the maxx is the way to go. The G2 has pretty good battery life but the bad software and button placement kind of put me off. None of the phones on Verizon will have better battery life than the maxx.

Noted via tapatalk

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Went with the X and am very happy with it, especially the battery life. My GNex would be on the charger before noon; the X lasts until bedtime. Active Notifications are an awesome feature.

Montclair

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm still with my Gnex. Battery life is now excellent using Greenify to "hibernate" apps that used to constantly poll and kill the battery. Standby time lasts all day instead of 4 hours.

Any lag was fixed by Lagfix Free.
Rich

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

jsm1985

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
I'll probably root my phone, whatever it may be. The only down side I have really seen for the Droid MAXX is the price, but that will be solved with the $175 rebate Verizon has going on. I haven't read anythign saying I'll have issues rooting with the droid maxx. I really don't see a reason to go with the Moto X over the Droid Maxx, as it is basically the same hardware with a smaller battery.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I'll probably root my phone, whatever it may be. The only down side I have really seen for the Droid MAXX is the price, but that will be solved with the $175 rebate Verizon has going on. I haven't read anythign saying I'll have issues rooting with the droid maxx. I really don't see a reason to go with the Moto X over the Droid Maxx, as it is basically the same hardware with a smaller battery.

The reason would be the form factor. The Maxx is a lot heavier than the X and also a lot thicker. If you want something that nice to hold in your hand, the X wins out over the Maxx.
The X also gets updates a lot faster than the Maxx since it is their current flagship.
The G2 might also be a good option if you're not afraid to root and flash an AOSP ROM. Camera and screen are far better and the battery should be pretty close

Posted via Android Central App

jsm1985

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
So I've been doing some research and it looks like the Droid MAXX bootloader is not able to be unlocked. This is a major draw back, as most of us root the device after a while. Looks like I'll have to keep looking. It looks like a lot of you mentioned the Moto X vs the LG G2.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
So I've been doing some research and it looks like the Droid MAXX bootloader is not able to be unlocked. This is a major draw back, as most of us root the device after a while. Looks like I'll have to keep looking. It looks like a lot of you mentioned the Moto X vs the LG G2.

Wasn't there a dev edition of the Maxx? I know there's one for the Moto X

Posted via Android Central App

jlgraham

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site

Why not just save up a bit and buy the Moto X Dev edition outright? Then you can unlock the bootloader without even voiding your warranty.

I have the regular Moto X 32GB from Moto Maker, and I really love it. Battery lasts all day (literally from 7AM when I leave the house to 11PM when I go to bed, usually with more than 30% remaining).

The cool thing about the Maxx though is the wireless charging.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I've found a rebate going on for the next week where I'll get $175 off, so it would only cost me $125 after the rebate.
what is the rebate?

Moto X and Droid Maxx are the only two I would consider. I am done with Samsung and their crap radios. The GNote3 while not as bad as the GNex was still not as good as the Moto X.

The Moto X and the Droid Maxx are basically the same phone with the differences between the Moto X and the Droid Maxx being:

1) the screen size (4.7" vs. 5");
2) the kevlar back (but you can get a wood back on the Moto X for only $25);
3) the size of the battery;
4) the weight/size of the devices; and
5) the Moto X has the curved back that makes it feel so nice in the hand.

WRT #1 - the bigger screen on the Droid Maxx is definitely nicer but it comes at the price of a larger phone.

WRT #2, I prefer the wood back. YMMV.

WRT #3, I can charge my phone every night and my Moto X battery life is fine for my uses. But the Maxx bigger batter is nice. However, it comes at the price of #4.

WRT #4, the Droid Maxx weighs 6 oz vs. Moto X 4.5 oz. That is very noticeable to me. YMMV.

WRT #5, until I got my Moto X I would have not thought that ergonomics was so important. I love the feel of my Moto X! The curved back is great. YMMV.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Moto X and Droid Maxx are the only two I would consider.
This isn't to say the LG G2 isn't a great phone, it is, but I don't want Touchwiz on my phone. The Moto X and Droid Maxx are the closest to stock android you will get on Verizon.

I also like that the Moto X Dev Ed has an easily unlockable boot loader and unlocking the bootloader doesn't void the warranty. It feels a lot like a Nexus to me coming from a GNex.

nasellok

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
After dealing with this POS for the past 2 years, im done - Im done with Android period. Im going to try Windows Phone (Lumia Icon coming to Verizon imminently) and see if I like it - Ive been an Android fanboy for the past 5 years, and its one year with a laggy pos phone that has done me in. I see it in my friends GS3, and GS4, and also in the LGG2 - the phones all lag, and the longer you own them, the worse it gets. A buddy of mine has Lumia 920, and that thing flys, no matter what he does with it, and hes had it for almost 2 years now. Im going to check out Windows Phone, and report back - note - a lot of Android features that are missing on WP are supposedly coming with the 8.1 update - see (Developers leak new features included in Windows Phone 8.1 SDK | Windows Phone Central)

STC09

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
That's certainly an, um, unexpected direction to take.

Win 8 for the laptop is so screamingly bad that I personally couldn't even imagine choosing a winphone.

YMMV.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals41