Going accessory shopping for my Nexus 7 - any suggestions?

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
The new Nexus 7 went on sale here in Japan on the 28th. I called over to Yodobashi Camera in Akihabara (the big electronics town in Tokyo - center of electronics for the known universe) and it is available there, plus they have cases and other stuff.

My house is just 6 stops on the train (just 16 minutes) from Akihabara, so after breakfast I'm heading over to see what they have there. I'm also curious how they have the Japanese keyboard set up for the Japanese model and if they did it the same way I did.

Anyway, I'm particularly interested in getting a protective case. Preferably one with an iPad-like "smart cover" which turns the Nexus on and off automatically using the magnets.

I might also be interested in a portable charger that runs on batteries - or even solar.

Any suggestions about accessories I should be on the lookout for?

doug@when the going gets tough, the tough go shopping

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Well, I'm back from Akihabara. Since it just came out a few days ago, there was a very tiny selection of cases. Maybe 3 or 4 total, none of them worth writing home about. Compare that with the iPad for which there are probably 300 different kinds of cases on the racks.

However, it was not a complete waste of time. I'm sure everybody will be very excited to hear that I glanced at the Japanese model settings and saw they were using a much more Japanese keyboard than the one I downloaded, and I was able to download that from Google Play right on the spot and switch over.

doug

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
There are a couple of cheap MoKo cases on Amazon with the magnet that sleeps and wakes that you are referring to. I am waiting for one to be delivered now.

Update: Received the case and it is a fairly nice case for $10. (I think it is $15 now.) It is very similar to an iPad case in looks and function and just snaps on to the back of the Nexus 7.

Last edited:

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Poetic Slim Line case... definitely! (make sure you source the new case to allow for the rear camera)

poetic10.jpg

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I actually like the way the back is constructed by that somewhat rubbery substance which is like a built in case. But I would like something that protects the screen when in a backpack.

Also, any thoughts on a portable charger?

Anything with a micro USB port will do?

techiecappydog

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I goto both iblason in orange and the moko I like the moko the best. The iblason had horrible smell and the tablet really didn't fit very tight. I got both at Amazon. Iblason refunded my money and told me to keep the case. Pretty cool on there part

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I goto both iblason in orange and the moko I like the moko the best. The iblason had horrible smell and the tablet really didn't fit very tight. I got both at Amazon. Iblason refunded my money and told me to keep the case. Pretty cool on there part

Does the moko have a magnet for smart on and off like the poetic?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

iBLASON gave me my money back too after I posted my review on Amazon...The "smell" went away on my black one a few days after I got it. Chinese shoe polish, with a spritz of Cadmium, probably...

chram893

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I recommend getting the Poetic Slimline case! I've had it for about a week already. I am completely satisfied with the case! It still keeps the my Nexus 7 feeling slim and light! The leather texture around the case gives it a nice premium look and feel. It also has the magnetic sleep/wake feature! Even though the case is a little bit more expensive than the similar Moko case, you can't go wrong with the Slimline case!

Posted via Android Central App

physioprof

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
So far I am liking the Poetic better than the Moko. It's more comfortable to hold in one hand in portrait orientation with the cover folded back.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions people. I decided to order the Poetic. It was just $12.95 on Amazon with free shipping too.

I'm having my sister forward it to me in Japan. If Amazon sent it it would be $25 for shipping, and I think it is probably small and light enough to ship much cheaper. Amazon Japan wants at least $32 for it.

Anyway, onward!

doug

douglerner

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
I wish I could see them in person before ordering, but from the pictures the Poetic seemed to be a nicer fit. One thing that bothered me was that one of the edges at one of the corners looks in the photo like it "curves outwards" if you know what I mean, and I wonder how that feels. But I shall see.

Thanks,

doug