Google Chat issue.

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Hola,
First off , apologies. This issue I'm facing is on a pixel 5 device. Posted here also for exposure as there can be weeks go by without response on the older threads.

I have an issue on my son's 5.

New provider. New SIM. Number port to preserve his number. All worked fine within 24hrs.

The issue - he uses Google messages for a couple of people . The chat function is stuck on the number associated with the new SIM NOT his own number. So the temp number he had for 24hrs waiting on the port. So any SENT texts come from this random number.

Tried - cleared messages app data / cache and re setup. At this point you can manually validate your number via a button that briefly appears. It still connects to the temp number regardless.
His own number is also validated in the Google account settings.

Any other ideas?

Cheers

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
If you can, try to uninstall/delete the messages app and then reboot and then reinstall.
See if you can use the app while running in safe mode to see if the issue persists.
If safe mode doesn't help and if you are unable to uninstall the app completely then "maybe" a factory reset will do the trick.
YMMV

Reactions: mgbosshogg

mgbosshogg

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
If you can, try to uninstall/delete the messages app and then reboot and then reinstall.
See if you can use the app while running in safe mode to see if the issue persists.
If safe mode doesn't help and if you are unable to uninstall the app completely then "maybe" a factory reset will do the trick.
YMMV
Thanks for the reply.

You can't un install a stock app such as messages. But I have forced stopped/ cleared cache etc... This allows a setup from scratch. Including inputting your number to be verified.

Unfortunately this still results in the temp number being verified somehow.

Waiting on my son deciding if he wants to try a factory reset.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
ANY app can be uninstalled for the ZERO user which is the default user by using ADB. Now raw ADB is a command line method of doing this. I can understand if you do not want to go that route. However, there is a very good GUI version called "ADB App Control" that costs about $10.00 US and it is very easy to use and works well. I use it on ALL my Android based devices.
With this app you can disable, or uninstall, even default factory installed apps for the primary user (user ZERO). If you do a factory reset after doing this any app you "uninstalled" will automatically reappear because it is still a part of the default OS install files, so you cannot really lose anything by doing this. It could fix your issue. So for the cost of a couple latte's you will have an app that can be used on all your Android devices to remove bloat and any other useless apps. Personally I would try ADB in one way or another BEFORE going through the pain of a factory reset. If ADB still doesn't fix the issue you can always do the factory reset. YMMV

Reactions: mutant777

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enid