Google Contacts won't sync

mouseglider

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
werwasai,

Read post #35 - you must have your contacts synced to Google before this would work - if the contacts are on your phone, then you have no backup to sync back from - I am surprised to see you even tried this since my original fix it post was from 09-26-2010 and a lot of thinks have changed since then. Also since these fix's were from phones in that time frame.

Sorry for your lost, but it would help to read thru all the post in this very old thread before you take a shot at trying this, it could saved you a lot of trouble. Always thoroughly read before you try.

VanillaDeath

Mar 8, 2013
Visit site
Try this:

First, press menu and go to "settings" - click on "Accounts & snyc" - uncheck "background sync" - now use your back key to get back to the screen where you saw "Accounts & snyc" and then click on "Applications"

Locate "Contacts Storage" - if you can't find "Contacts Storage", click menu again and select filter, then select all - open the "Contact Storage" and click "clear data" of "Contacts Storage"

Get back to the first step above and recheck "background snyc" - it will start to snyc and take anywhere from 2 minutes to 15 minutes

If you have problems with "calendar" and "gmail" do the same steps above to for "Calendar Storage" and "Gmail Storage"

This worked for me, but all contacts I added to Google since March got deleted, contacts changed since then were reverted, and my call log got cleared.
Anybody know what the root cause of this sync issue is?

SamCritch

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
I fixed this by clearing the data for Contacts Storage (Settings -> Apps -> three-dots in top-right -> Show System -> Contacts Storage -> Storage -> CLEAR DATA). After that my other accounts still synced, but not the problem account. I then removed the problem account on the phone and added it again (something I'd already tried a couple of times before removing Contacts Storage data), after which the contacts synced fine.

ygab

Feb 11, 2018
Visit site
HELP!!!! :(
I tried over and over, but no results...
I reset to factory my phone, reinstalled all apps, set several times on/off Google sync, I cleared Contacts data and cache in App settings, phone showed 0 Ko... As soon I get back in phone Contact (set on "only show Google contacts"): they are still there without sync (why ???). And it is not the current version on my Gmail.
In App settings, memory is back to 60 Ko.
Everything used to sync perfectly fine until last week when editing a contact on the phone: Contact closed down, I re-opened and finished. Since then, no more sync.
My feeling is there is a corrupted file on the phone, a file that was re-installed thru the Google backup.
My phone is not rooted.
If anyone has an idea........ Thank you :)

Nestor Abad

Apr 26, 2018
Visit site
Try this:

First, press menu and go to "settings" - click on "Accounts & snyc" - uncheck "background sync" - now use your back key to get back to the screen where you saw "Accounts & snyc" and then click on "Applications"

Locate "Contacts Storage" - if you can't find "Contacts Storage", click menu again and select filter, then select all - open the "Contact Storage" and click "clear data" of "Contacts Storage"

Get back to the first step above and recheck "background snyc" - it will start to snyc and take anywhere from 2 minutes to 15 minutes

If you have problems with "calendar" and "gmail" do the same steps above to for "Calendar Storage" and "Gmail Storage"

This worked for me, too! (LG G4 with Android 6.0)
A factory reset didn't help, though. But clearing data of that "Contacts Storage" system app did it!

Thaks a lot!

Nestor Abad

Apr 26, 2018
Visit site
HELP!!!! :(
I tried over and over, but no results...
I reset to factory my phone, reinstalled all apps, set several times on/off Google sync, I cleared Contacts data and cache in App settings, phone showed 0 Ko... As soon I get back in phone Contact (set on "only show Google contacts"): they are still there without sync (why ???). And it is not the current version on my Gmail.
In App settings, memory is back to 60 Ko.
Everything used to sync perfectly fine until last week when editing a contact on the phone: Contact closed down, I re-opened and finished. Since then, no more sync.
My feeling is there is a corrupted file on the phone, a file that was re-installed thru the Google backup.
My phone is not rooted.
If anyone has an idea........ Thank you :)

Did you try the "Contacts Storage > clear data" solution?

JS Antechquated

May 11, 2018
Visit site
Just posting this for someone who is seeking to better understand sync.

synchronization
General: Process of precisely coordinating or matching two or more activities, devices, or processes in time. See also synchronous.
Computing: Process of making two or more data storage devices or programs (in the same or different computers) having exactly the same information at a given time.

Hope this helps. I agree, techies (genius though they are) have a difficult time explaining in very basic terms what tech things are and what they do.

Don't fret newbies (newbies definition: someone who is just beginning to learn something, like technical things) , I have technical background and the new things constantly require me to learn about it also. I hope this helps. 🤤😒😓🤔😀🤗

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
justinedwards