Google no longer unlocks my phone

Jul 1, 2019
Visit site
Apparently, Google just launched an update to all Android devices that now makes you unable to unlock your phone with your voice. I constantly use my phone hands free especially when I'm busy doing hair or cooking. I say, "OK Google, text so and so" then Google will go, "Sure, what's the message?" But now, when I tell Google to text someone, it just goes to my lock screen and I have to manually unlock my phone even with just Swipe as a lock screen choice. I also use it to set timers when I finish applying color to hair because my gloves are covered in color and now I have to manually unlock my phone. It's just so stupid. Google says it's all for "Enhanced security" but I call is BS. I personally don't care about security because my phone is never away from me ever so this is extremely inconvenient. I swear, if Google keeps pulling this crap they know we all hate, I may just start using Bixby. Anyways, is there any workaround for this? I have a Note 9

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
My suggestion would be to enable Smart Lock and choose your Home as on of the Trusted Places and there are other options available also...
9b1ad9ed7f8dd6ba4fe49580cb9685f7.jpg

Jul 1, 2019
Visit site
I had all of that enabled and it still will not work. It's this stupid new "security update" they sent out. You can no longer unlock your phone using Google. I even disabled all security and just had SWIPE SCREEN TO UNLOCK enabled so No pin or fingerprint was needed and it STILL will not unlock my screen. I then disabled all screen locks so when I press the home button when the screen is off, it takes me straight to the home page of my phone as there is no longer a lock screen. Now my screen just stays dark while google does the task but I cant see what is shown because my screen stays off. This new update really messed it up for me and I am really starting to hate google.

pdxrealtor

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Any updates to this news? There is tons of information on the internet but it seems very inconsistent and nothing has worked to solve this issue, and, all the other buggy issues.

Can't set a timer - when asked it says timer set 'now' but it doesn't set the timer.
Setting up voice unlock - I try to delete my voice and retrain a new one, but it says it already has a voice model trained.
Using Google home - can't do ANYTHING with Google home UNLESS I unlock the phone first.

I just did a factory re-set on my phone, reset my old pixel 2xl in case a voice trained model on that device was interfering. Before the factor reset I uninstalled all updates for the Google app, that did no work so reset all network and app setting with no success.

I really want to use the Google assistant but - if it's always going to be changing and we are not given the option to opt out of updates to avoid unwanted repercussions of the update then no way in hell do I want to chance setting up an entire home automation (amongst other things).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try this -- open your Google app, tap More at the lower right, then Settings>Google Assistant, tap the Assistant tab, then scroll down to Assistant Devices. Select Phone, and make sure "Lock screen personal results" is turned on.

pdxrealtor

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Thank you B. D. No luck. I had tried that previously before the reset, and now after the reset.

After a complete re-set and no app installs or restoration of app data I still can't set the timer. I still have a voice of myself 'saved' somewhere according to Google assistant.