got my fascinate today... vzw rep told me interesting things...

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
When I bought my X the rep set up my phone he dl the recommend apps he had a sheat with what to set up these phones. As I walked out door I did a hard reset.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Here are the facts straight from the mouth of a Senior Android Software Developer.

Thanks for this link, every Verizon rep should read it. I've been a Windows/Web developer (and Java) for 15 years. I've been doing iOS apps for 2 years, and just getting into writing some Android Apps. Part of this issue is with rookie developers writing some very nasty code, which forces people to look for task killers because some rouge process is running somewhere.

It's defiantly hard to not add an "Exit" or "Close" button to my apps, so thanks for the link to the article. It explains a lot.

emptycube

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
There are a ton of apps that don't show up on the normal task manager, and that there are basically no "right" way to close.
I have opened Task Manager too many times to count and the only Active Application I have ever seen (ever) is Launcher Pro. Never, not once, have I ever seen anything else there. Then I open ATK and there's a ton of stuff there. Press 'close apps' and my RAM goes way up. I always back-out of apps.

Still very confused about this because lots of folks (that seem to know their stuff on Androids) say "use Task Manager instead" and I have no idea what they mean because there is never anything there to close. Yet ATK shows, and closes, lots of stuff (even when set to 'medium').

Verizon auto-installed ATK on my SF (voted in poll).

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
You will see more using ATK because ATK picks up processes also. When you kill an app like that using ATK your available ram will jump because you ARE killing things.

Its misleading because when you abruptly kill an app the phone at times is still looking for parts of that app and will cause lag. Almost like doing CTRL+ALT+DEL and shutting down a process that another program or process is using. Can cause wonkiness.

The embedded task killer on the Fascinate works differently. The reason you see less running processes in that is because it lists the ones you can safely kill without affecting the stability of the phone.

Just read into it more and if you are insistant on using ATK or the like just be careful about what you kill.

Android_IPA

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I only use the embedded task killer. Works like a charm.

However, I'd like to know if it has a white list function. I'd really like to white list all my email apps.

voghan

Jan 30, 2010
Visit site
So are people just blowing off the 4g thing as sales bs? Or does everyone hate task killers so much they just jumped on that topic?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
The 4G comment was from a rep that has no idea what they are talking about. Its BS. The Antenna inside the Fascinate cannot support 4G. I invite someone to prove otherwise. :)

cptncrnch

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
hey guys i sell cells phones for a living...i think i know what the problem is...when the 1st moto droid came out we had a sheet telling us about different apps that "help" the phone, advanced task killer was on that list. I didn't know it did harm until i came to this forum. I now recommend to customers that they take it off the phone and/or don't use it. I guarantee if u ask most reps selling cell phones they would recommend it though. Most people don't take the time to learn about the products they sell. Just my 2cents

snellaltal

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
New to Android and review android central a lot to get familiar with the system. First off want to say thanks for great reviews and tips. Have a Sprint evo and couldn't be happier with it. When I went from touch pro to the evo a sprint rep did mention atk but no pre installed one. Do have one but stopped use since I read article.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
4g requires a sim card if I recall correctly.

I would love to ask that Verizon employee where there's a slot for a sim card in my device.

Verizon employees are utterly useless. I much prefer buying my devices online or if possible through a kiosk.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for this link, every Verizon rep should read it. I've been a Windows/Web developer (and Java) for 15 years. I've been doing iOS apps for 2 years, and just getting into writing some Android Apps.

That's awesome. I heart developers. Can't wait to see some of your apps.

MrGixxer6

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
The amazing thing to me is how alot of you are quick to say that verizon or tmo or att employees are idiots.. Are they developers? No, do they know everything? No. Let me ask you a question, when you BUY a car and something goes wrong do you go to the sales person or a mechanic to fix it?? Simple as that.. The fact that you people act like you are god and all wireless SALES PEOPLE are morons is absolutely rediculous and proves the exact opposite.

Lets think about the people that these people are SELLING phones to.. Mostly everyday people that just want the cool phone so they can browse the internet and download the newest fart apps.. probably 1 out of 100 have any idea what they are doing with these phones past downloading apps. Alot of these reps make recomendations based on their own experiences, and just like some of YOU, they use ATK, so they recomend it and set it up on their phones.. Should they Educate the customers more? Would help, but again they are SALES PEOPLE and get paid for SELLING. They arent school teachers for gods sake.. You people that say they should educate people are the same people that when someone would ask you would say nah i'll figure it out myself.. So get off your soap box and look at it a little bit differently.. Would you spend an extra 30-45minutes teaching someone if it meant you would make probably 800-1000 less a month? Probably not..

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Consumers put trust in sales people. How many times have you been into Best Buy, Sears, Lowes, Home Depot, etc. and ask a question. What does the sales associate do? They look at the sales tag of the product! I can do that. Don't be so quick to dismiss consumers as ignorant and not knowing about the products they are purchasing. This thing called the Internet has useful information, and consumers are so much more informed than sales people.

If I can go out and do research on my 54" plasma, on my own time which I'm not getting paid for, then why can't a sales person, who is trained by the vendor in some cases, know at least as much as I do?

Let's face it, the sales people in most cases do more harm then good. They are uninformed about the products, and only care about getting the customer out the door and commission in their pocket. So back on my soap box I go until I find a sales person that takes their job seriously and actually knows about the product they are selling.

gothdroid

Mar 20, 2010
www.twitter.com
I used ATK on my first Android phone, Moment, but since going to the original Droid and now the Vibrant and EVO I don't use one, even the one built into the ROM. I know enough about the source code and how Android works to be able to understand that in day-to-day usage that the OS itself will prioritize which apps it needs to run and when. So I am with Chris on this one, ATK and task killers in general are pointless unless you truly know how to use them.

NOsquid

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Salespeople have their place, no need to demonize them.

I am among those who, for most major purchases, research and know more than the salesperson before walking in the store. I doubt I am part of a majority, except maybe on geeky phone forums :)

I've never expected more from salespeople than to ring up my credit card. You don't ask the checker at the grocery store for a beef bourguignon recipe, do you? For the most part, people with significant technical knowledge of mobile phones don't want to waste their time selling them.

Count me as another who suspects that this is due to a Verizon memo, maybe from the past and intended for older phones.

DroidDev

Superstar Status
Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
Lets think about the people that these people are SELLING phones to.. Mostly everyday people that just want the cool phone so they can browse the internet and download the newest fart apps.. probably 1 out of 100 have any idea what they are doing with these phones past downloading apps. Alot of these reps make recomendations based on their own experiences, and just like some of YOU, they use ATK, so they recomend it and set it up on their phones.. Should they Educate the customers more? Would help, but again they are SALES PEOPLE and get paid for SELLING. They arent school teachers for gods sake.. You people that say they should educate people are the same people that when someone would ask you would say nah i'll figure it out myself.. So get off your soap box and look at it a little bit differently.. Would you spend an extra 30-45minutes teaching someone if it meant you would make probably 800-1000 less a month? Probably not..

Yes they are SELLING these phone to consumers. The majority of whom know just enough to get by about this kind of technology. Which is why its ESPECIALLY critical they know what they are doing. Its their job to know about the things they sell. Research a product it your going to sell it.

To be honest though the majority of them are lazy. All they are REQUIRED to do is watch a short training video on these devices they sell.

When it gets down to it these Sales Reps arent selling TVs, and other appliances. They are selling phones. And thats it. (unless you include netbooks.) They should know a good deal about these devices they are tasked with selling.

If I can go out and do research on my 54" plasma, on my own time which I'm not getting paid for, then why can't a sales person, who is trained by the vendor in some cases, know at least as much as I do?

This.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
I respect sales people. All I ask is that they do not take it upon themselves to modify the product between the time it leaves the manufacture and the time it gets in my hands, regardless of whether they are a car salesman or a Verizon sales person. If they are allowed access to install software on our phones, what's stopping them from installing a malicious application that's designed to steal our personal information?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cottoneyejoe