[GUIDE][MAC/PC/LINUX][4.2] Unlock, Root and Flash Recovery

Saturn1217

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
so I think I found the recovery image (but maybe not)

If you unzip the factory image you can get from google for the nexus 7. And then unzip the image_nakasi-jop40d.zip inside this you get a folder that contains a recovery.img file.

HOWEVER...I followed the instructions posted at the end of this tutorial to flash the stock recovery and now I can't get into recovery at all. I just see a green android with a red exclamation point and using the powerbutton volume up combo (xda-developers suggested this) does nothing. All I can do is hold down the power button to reboot the device.

So while I am happy I haven't bricked my device does this mean I have NO recovery now? I'm assuming that is bad? Any help would be much appreciated even if it comes late. Since my nexus 7 still works I can wait until your finals are over :)

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,
I followed this method to unlock my bootloader and root my nexus 7. Worked Perfectly! Only problem I am having is returning my recovery to stock so i can use ota updates and retain my root. I am currently on 4.1.2 and cant figure out how to update to 4.2.1. From what i can tell and read in other threads i need to be on stock recovery to be able to update or update and re-root? I guess i'm a little lost...
where can i get a copy of the stock recovery for the last step of this tutorial?

so I think I found the recovery image (but maybe not)

If you unzip the factory image you can get from google for the nexus 7. And then unzip the image_nakasi-jop40d.zip inside this you get a folder that contains a recovery.img file.

HOWEVER...I followed the instructions posted at the end of this tutorial to flash the stock recovery and now I can't get into recovery at all. I just see a green android with a red exclamation point and using the powerbutton volume up combo (xda-developers suggested this) does nothing. All I can do is hold down the power button to reboot the device.

So while I am happy I haven't bricked my device does this mean I have NO recovery now? I'm assuming that is bad? Any help would be much appreciated even if it comes late. Since my nexus 7 still works I can wait until your finals are over :)
Nah that's right. Stock recovery isn't like custom recovery. You're good.

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi folks
I am a noobie, just got a nexus 7 wifi 32. I unlocked the bootloader according to part one of this guide (it erased all my settings, never mind google is restoring them through account backup). Now I want to move towards the rooting part of this guide, but there is an option bothering me. Where to put Super User file? I don't have an sd card in nexus 7 :O.
Regards

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,
I followed this method to unlock my bootloader and root my nexus 7. Worked Perfectly! Only problem I am having is returning my recovery to stock so i can use ota updates and retain my root. I am currently on 4.1.2 and cant figure out how to update to 4.2.1. From what i can tell and read in other threads i need to be on stock recovery to be able to update or update and re-root? I guess i'm a little lost...
where can i get a copy of the stock recovery for the last step of this tutorial?

Hi folks
I am a noobie, just got a nexus 7 wifi 32. I unlocked the bootloader according to part one of this guide (it erased all my settings, never mind google is restoring them through account backup). Now I want to move towards the rooting part of this guide, but there is an option bothering me. Where to put Super User file? I don't have an sd card in nexus 7 :O.
Regards
You have virtual SD: when you connect tablet to computer with usb, just put the file wherever you will remember where it is.

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hello Chatter and Others, For Nexus 7 on 4.2.1 there is a very easy way to get stock recovery.

This thread has an awesome guide but for beginners the stock recovery part is a little confusing.

I found out, that TWRP renames automatically System/recovery-from-boot.p to System/recovery-from-boot.bak after you flash the TWRP Recovery.

This is because if you do not (or if TWRP did not do it automatically for you), Nexus 7 (at least for 4.2.1) will re-flash the stock recovery onto the device.

So, if you want to get to stock recovery, just change System/recovery-from-boot.bak to System/recovery-from-boot.p.

The next time you start the device, you will get stock recovery. (But LOSING Custom Recovery)

Hope this helps, and Chatter, if you can add to your guide that would be great.

Thanks all.

Source:
[Google Nexus 7 TOOLKIT V3.2.0] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, CWM, Flash + MUCH MORE - xda-developers
"Q. I flashed CWM but each time I reboot the Stock Recovery is back

There is an auto recovery restore system on certain Stock Android Builds that will reflash the Stock Recovery if you flash CWM on a Stock Rom.

Use Root Explorer to Mount the system folder as R/W (or use a free app from Google Play such as ES File Explorer). Rename the files /system/recovery-from-boot.p and /system/etc/install-recovery.sh. Now when you flash CWM Recovery it will NOT be overwritten after a reboot.

OR you can use the ToolKit to rename the files.
"

Edit by sr2012: One more suggestion:

For us beginners, we may not know initally that there are two parts to modifying Android.

The first part is the Recovery. For Recovery, you have Stock, Clockwork and TWRP, etc. So the Custom Recovery is good, but also Stock Recovery, if needed, can be done as above.

Then the second part is the ROM. That is, you have Stock ROM, and then Custom ROM.

So for rooting Nexus 7 you need only:
Unlock Bootloader
Use Custom Recovery
Root
Then, one can go back to Stock Recovery (see above), or leave as is.
Going back to Stock Recovery you will ~NOT~ lose your Root.
Next, one can install Custom ROM but only if you have, obviously, Custom Recovery.
Then, one can go back to Stock ROM, and Stock Recovery if so desired.
[Will ~Root be LOST~ when going to Stock ROM?]

Is this correct?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Hello Chatter and Others, For Nexus 7 on 4.2.1 there is a very easy way to get stock recovery.

This thread has an awesome guide but for beginners the stock recovery part is a little confusing.

I found out, that TWRP renames automatically System/recovery-from-boot.p to System/recovery-from-boot.bak after you flash the TWRP Recovery.

This is because if you do not (or if TWRP did not do it automatically for you), Nexus 7 (at least for 4.2.1) will re-flash the stock recovery onto the device.

So, if you want to get to stock recovery, just change System/recovery-from-boot.bak to System/recovery-from-boot.p.

The next time you start the device, you will get stock recovery. (But LOSING Custom Recovery)

Hope this helps, and Chatter, if you can add to your guide that would be great.

Thanks all.

Source:
[Google Nexus 7 TOOLKIT V3.2.0] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, CWM, Flash + MUCH MORE - xda-developers
"Q. I flashed CWM but each time I reboot the Stock Recovery is back

There is an auto recovery restore system on certain Stock Android Builds that will reflash the Stock Recovery if you flash CWM on a Stock Rom.

Use Root Explorer to Mount the system folder as R/W (or use a free app from Google Play such as ES File Explorer). Rename the files /system/recovery-from-boot.p and /system/etc/install-recovery.sh. Now when you flash CWM Recovery it will NOT be overwritten after a reboot.

OR you can use the ToolKit to rename the files.
"

Edit by sr2012: One more suggestion:

For us beginners, we may not know initally that there are two parts to modifying Android.

The first part is the Recovery. For Recovery, you have Stock, Clockwork and TWRP, etc. So the Custom Recovery is good, but also Stock Recovery, if needed, can be done as above.

Then the second part is the ROM. That is, you have Stock ROM, and then Custom ROM.

So for rooting Nexus 7 you need only:
Unlock Bootloader
Use Custom Recovery
Root
Then, one can go back to Stock Recovery (see above), or leave as is.
Going back to Stock Recovery you will ~NOT~ lose your Root.
Next, one can install Custom ROM but only if you have, obviously, Custom Recovery.
Then, one can go back to Stock ROM, and Stock Recovery if so desired.
[Will ~Root be LOST~ when going to Stock ROM?]

Is this correct?

Thanks again.

yeah that will work but only with twrp. and, if you flash recovery instead, you can always make sure you have the right version.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Proliferous

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: [GUIDE] How to Unlock and Root the Nexus 7

New to the forum and figured this would be the best spot to ask for HELP!

Have a Nexus 7 32GB that was previously unlocked and rooted. After the OTA update 4.2.1 I lost ROOT but maintained an UNLOCK state. Today while I was trying to re-root the tablet using the instructions found in this thread, I learned that I am having a problem sending data from the computer (MAC) to the tablet. I keep receiving an error that says that it cannot access storage device and suggests I check the lock screen (which is always unlocked). I also received the same error when I was trying to put a file onto the tablet from the mac just the other day. I also verified numerous times that USB Debugging is checked in Developer Options. I can move files from the tablet to the mac but not from the mac to the tablet. I was hoping to not have to mess with my bootloader since it is already unlocked. Any suggestions on how to fix the connection via the tablet and mac would be great, as well as any direction for the best way to root.

TIA

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

New to the forum and figured this would be the best spot to ask for HELP!

Have a Nexus 7 32GB that was previously unlocked and rooted. After the OTA update 4.2.1 I lost ROOT but maintained an UNLOCK state. Today while I was trying to re-root the tablet using the instructions found in this thread, I learned that I am having a problem sending data from the computer (MAC) to the tablet. I keep receiving an error that says that it cannot access storage device and suggests I check the lock screen (which is always unlocked). I also received the same error when I was trying to put a file onto the tablet from the mac just the other day. I also verified numerous times that USB Debugging is checked in Developer Options. I can move files from the tablet to the mac but not from the mac to the tablet. I was hoping to not have to mess with my bootloader since it is already unlocked. Any suggestions on how to fix the connection via the tablet and mac would be great, as well as any direction for the best way to root.

TIA

If you've tried all the USB ports, I would go back to stock using 2defs thread to factory restore, then root using the directions here.
Let me know if that works out, if not well try something else.

Proliferous

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site

I was able to get my USB fixed, so I went ahead and started the ROOT process. I'm at step 6: "Recovery will boot up on the tab, and you will now select "install," then navigate to where you placed the super su file on the sd card and select the file to install"

When I select the zip to install ... nothing happens. It just keeps opening up the files within the Super SU (META-INF and system) ... How to I initiate the install of that file?

THANKS

EDIT: I had unzipped the file before I put it on the SD Card .... Went back and put the .zip file in there, and it worked like a charm. Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

I was able to get my USB fixed, so I went ahead and started the ROOT process. I'm at step 6: "Recovery will boot up on the tab, and you will now select "install," then navigate to where you placed the super su file on the sd card and select the file to install"

When I select the zip to install ... nothing happens. It just keeps opening up the files within the Super SU (META-INF and system) ... How to I initiate the install of that file?

THANKS

EDIT: I had unzipped the file before I put it on the SD Card .... Went back and put the .zip file in there, and it worked like a charm. Thanks for all the help!

awesome glad you got it working.

Intel1338

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site

My sister used the "factory data reset" option in the menu and soft-bricked my rooted Optimus C (LG LW690). All I can access on the phone is Fast-boot (but when connected to my Mac, there's no response from the terminal that I can tell) and the "S/W Upgrade" menu which I've come to find is just about useless in Mac. Anyway, is there a way I can install a recovery (ROM) option via Fast-boot on Mac? I have the complete Android SDK installed and all other drivers, etc.

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated as I'm sort of new to programming androids.

Thanks!

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
My sister used the "factory data reset" option in the menu and soft-bricked my rooted Optimus C (LG LW690). All I can access on the phone is Fast-boot (but when connected to my Mac, there's no response from the terminal that I can tell) and the "S/W Upgrade" menu which I've come to find is just about useless in Mac. Anyway, is there a way I can install a recovery (ROM) option via Fast-boot on Mac? I have the complete Android SDK installed and all other drivers, etc.

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated as I'm sort of new to programming androids.

Thanks!

Use the instructions on this thread at the start to flash recovery then flash stock ROM then you're good to go. I also bricked my Nexus 7 just use TWRP recovery then stock ROM. Not sure about backup but if you had TWRP the backup feature is the most useful. Might as well format your drives while you're at it.

I use Mac no problems. Terminal won't show you if it is connected but fastboot command will give you adequate feedback.

Sent from my LT26i using Android Central Forums

Intel1338

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
ok im getting a response now. when i entered "oem install" it showed up on my phone. how do i know when the bootloader is done?

USER-macbook:~ USER$ cd desktop
USER-macbook:desktop dredon$ cd r3superboot
-bash: cd: r3superboot: No such file or directory
USER-macbook:desktop USER$ cd r3-nexus7-superboot
USER-macbook:r3-nexus7-superboot dredon$ ./fastboot-mac oem unlock

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
For every fastboot command once it is done you will see the usual command prompt ie there is no notification. So if there are no errors reported assume everything is okay.

So once you unlock bootloader restart in fastboot mode then load recovery then reboot then go into recovery.

The tricky part is in recovery you have to use adb push to push the ROM to the phone since you cannot boot into the regular OS yet(?).

Sent from my LT26i using Android Central Forums

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site

Thanks!
Hang on. If youre optimus c has an unlocked bootloader, you can find recovery built for your phone and flash it in fastboot cmands. Do not flash recovery that is built for any other device.

Once in recovery, you can push a rom from CPU to the optimis with the command adb push

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captain Fluellen