[GUIDE] Nexus 4 - Factory Image Restore

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
That's not it. The MD5 confirmed correct checksum. I downloaded several times with same result; just 1 file with no extension on it when uncompressed. Has anyone tried the downloading new factory files just recently posted from google to see if you get what I'm getting? I don't know what "rr downloading the file" means?

Update: I'd just ended up Rooting phone and used SQLite Editor, but still like to know why new factory files after uncompressing have no extension (at least the one's I'd downloaded).
Make sure you're getting them from here

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#occam

I suspect the program you're using to uncompress is causing the problem. I uncompressed these on a Linux system and they had subfolders and script files.

fish411

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Last edited:

mjsnexus

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
hi i am new here i tried to use this method but i had an error.
everything works fine but i cannot flash the system.img and heres the error
error: failed to load 'image-occam-jwr66v.zip': Cannot allocate memory.

can anyone help me with this? thanks in advance.

bchong56

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
hi i am new here i tried to use this method but i had an error.
everything works fine but i cannot flash the system.img and heres the error
error: failed to load 'image-occam-jwr66v.zip': Cannot allocate memory.

can anyone help me with this? thanks in advance.

Tried unzip it and flash it individually.

It is the FAQ but with different error...
Q. I got an error saying "FAILED (remote: (BadParameter))"
A. Your computer did not like flashing the last file, the big .zip containing the various parts of your system (specifically the boot, system, recovery, and userdata sections). Unzip that file, and make sure to move the extracted files once again to the same directory as your fastboot file. Now you are going to flash each of them one at a time, as in:
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash userdata userdata.img
Please be sure to only enter these lines one at a time and let each one finish before entering the next. When done reboot.

4TheLoveOfTech

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Bootloader Won't Unlock Nexus 7 2012

Hello, I have a 2012 Nexus 7. It was never rooted or unlocked and ran very stable with 4.3 on it. After the 4.4 OTA I started having all kinds of problems. Bootloop, Battery Drain etc. I waited and received 4.4.2. My device is very unstable now. I can't do a Factory Reset, the tablet just boots back up with all my data and apps there. If I uninstall data after a reboot it's all back the same and all apps update again from PlayStore. This has been happening for a couple weeks.

I called Google and since my device won't do a Factory reset they said my only option was ASUS that wants more than the tablet is worth to repair it.

I have followed all of your advice and my Bootloader will not unlock. I am able to to see my device and it's recognized but when I do an oem unlock I get to the screen for Yes No option and it's either gets stuck on the screen with unlocking device... in upper left hand corner or it will just reboot and will not unlock.

Would anyone have any options for me to try to get my bootloader unlocked? I've tried two tool kits on top of manual. WugFresh 1.8 and SkipSoft and neither of their toolkits will unlock the device either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Kevin Carranza

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
which mac that works? because I'm using macbook pro 10.9.1. Snow Leopard (Mavericks Updates)
i follows instruction but then when i write
./adb-mac devices

list of attach pops up without no list of numbers. I understand i missed the drivers but I'm not sure if it can be the mac or USB port.
To be honest, it could be my phone (which ofc mac user needs to plug usb on the back but im on macbook pro laptop). I don't know if that were the dead end because I don't own iMac or other else. I only have Macbook Pro.

I don't know if I did it too late or something? When i root some ROM because I thought it works fine until I found out I'm stuck at Google Logo. I started to go back to recovery mode without searching for help. I erased EVERYTHING before I started to realized & searched through threads to see if anyone knows how to unbrick the phone. Until I start following instructions, that's where i stop & saw saying list of attach. I see no numbers. I realized something but I don't know if the USB Debugging went disable after what happen that I deleted the whole data, system, cache, etc.

please help :'( if it really a dead end, I guess It's a goodbye nexus 4 for me.

lionking1970

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
WP_20140216_23_40_51_Pro.jpg
Hey guys, I'm in a need for help with my currently bricked Nexus 4.
I followed the process of restoring the unit both via command prompt (windows) & Wug's toolkit. In both cases the process completed successfully but the end result is the same in which it gets stuck on the X splashscreen / different animation (depends on the image I tried uploading). I tried disconnecting the cable at the end, as well as clearing the cache.
When in the fastboot mode I get a different serial number than what's on the box & it has no IMEI.
Any suggestions? Thanx

onelegdis

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
I've got same problem as lionking1970, boot loop started yesterday. I've tried all the solutions in this thread and still stuck on the 4 circles boot screen.

BornDeadly55

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Is it okay if my Bootloader IMG. File is taking long? Ive seen videos where it goes by like in 10 seconds and ive been letting it Send the bootloader for about 5 minutes now and still nothing Help :c

Sunny Somyani

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
new to android central i want to update my nexus 4 to 4.4.2 manually my bootloader is ulocked nd im currently on 4.3 jelly bean nexus 4 so i have downloaded the 4.4.2 file from goggles factory image website but i found id the tar file so any buddy know how to deal with that coz when i extracted thta .tar file with winrar extractor is showed me a single file with no extension on it then i seen the properties of tht file but again there was no extension and on type its written "file" so my question is how do i flash it for my n4 as its a tar file noat a zip plz help its urgent for me please

superstickytape

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
I was playing Clash of Clans (a seriously addicting game) when the phone started lagging, then shut off. upon reboot i noticed it was stuck on the 4 circles, funny how the beginning of the thread were of the 4 x's lol, so i tried to go into recovery mode and do a factory reset. an error message popped up saying it couldnt locate cache or drive "E:" or something like that. I've tried using wugs toolkit with no luck because it wants my phone to have usb debugging which i doubt is enabled.

i've also done the steps in the OP, tried locking and unlocking, i have the mac adb and fastboot files.... the issue now is that the phone keeps locking itself when i start ./flash-all.sh
below is the log...

Phillips-MacBook-Air:android Phillip$ ./fastboot oem lock
OKAY [ 0.008s]
finished. total time: 0.008s
Phillips-MacBook-Air:android Phillip$ ./fastboot oem unlock
OKAY [ 3.822s]
finished. total time: 3.822s
Phillips-MacBook-Air:android Phillip$ ./flash-all.sh
sending 'bootloader' (2203 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.072s]
writing 'bootloader'...
FAILED (remote: flash write failure)
finished. total time: 0.074s
rebooting into bootloader...
OKAY [ 0.001s]
finished. total time: 0.001s
< waiting for device >
sending 'radio' (45537 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.436s]
writing 'radio'...
FAILED (remote: not supported in locked device)
finished. total time: 1.437s
rebooting into bootloader...
OKAY [ 0.001s]
finished. total time: 0.001s
error: failed to load 'image-occam-kot49h'

what now??
i really dont want to buy another phone with a rumored N6 around the corner.

taita87

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site

taita87

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I just did the separately sending process...but the error persists
Screen shot 2014-06-04 at 1.48.52 PM.png

EDIT: the solution is: use windows to do it...

Last edited:

medic7603

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Followed all the steps. Four different times. Tried factory images both most current and 4.2. No matter what it gets stuck on the nexus logo and won't go past it. Id had it running CM11 with a TWRP recovery prior to that. Help?

Amit Zamir

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
i did this and when i tried to update the image-occam is was good until the
sending 'system' (731040 kb)....
FAILED (data transfer failure (too many links))

djclogan

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Extract it from the .tar file, using 7zip, then I believe there's a zip file that needs extraction. If it still doesn't work you may have a corrupt download try rr downloading the file.

Posted via Android Central App

There is a .zip within the original archive downloaded from the google Dev site. It contains: system.img, boot.img, user data.img, and recovery.img...you can extract them and fastboot each one manually, but if you prefer a custom recovery, DON'T fastboot the recovery.img or you'll have to re-fastboot your custom one. This method wipes ALL data, but has been the most reliable for me and I don't care because I don't use my phone for any storage purposes.