[GUIDE] UPDATED: How to Root Your Sprint Galaxy S3

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
First let me say thanks for showing me how to root. It did it in about 30 minutes and was pretty nervous the whole time. I am trying to use my phone as a wireless hotspot and not send Sprint anymore of my hard earned money. All te research I have done says that jelly bean has shutdown this ability. Can you point me in the direction to make this possible?

Wi-Fi tether hack.
http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=224652

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
You mean the process for installing it? Probably, but skunk said he'll post the update file tonight, and I assume if there are any installation differences he'll highlight those.

There will be no changes with MB1. The reason I like this method is it will remain unchanged, will root any version, will not wipe data and work across most Samsung devices.

The only difference in the Sprint gs3, the AT&T gs3, the Sprint gnote2 and the AT&T gnote2 are the recovery files used. The method for rooting them are identical as are the drivers and root files.

So making guides is as easy as copying and pasting the guide and changing the link to the recovery file.

egon10psi

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Okay so I got my phone in the mail yesterday from my insurance claim and something just isnt working when trying to root this one....

First of all when I do ODIN it takes about 10 minutes to download the file...but I still get PASS. Then I take the battery out and try to boot into recovery...it starts booting into recovery then just starts the phone normally withou ever actually going into recovery.

I then can now power off the phone and boot into recovery and click on update from external SD card where I find the file I am supposed to flash. But it starts to flash and then aborts it?? What is going on here????

- - - Updated - - -

Okay so I got my phone in the mail yesterday from my insurance claim and something just isnt working when trying to root this one....

First of all when I do ODIN it takes about 10 minutes to download the file...but I still get PASS. Then I take the battery out and try to boot into recovery...it starts booting into recovery then just starts the phone normally withou ever actually going into recovery.

I then can now power off the phone and boot into recovery and click on update from external SD card where I find the file I am supposed to flash. But it starts to flash and then aborts it?? What is going on here????

Also the error I get when trying to flash TEAM EPIC is E Signature Verificatoin Failed

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site

- - - Updated - - -

Also the error I get when trying to flash TEAM EPIC is E Signature Verificatoin Failed

Sounds like you're trying to flash team epic file from stock recovery. Also sounds as if you are flashing the wrong tar files in Odin. E system verification is a stock recovery issue.

Flash this in recovery. It will take about 5-10 seconds.

ClockWorkMod Recovery.tar Version 6.0.1.2

Make sure you let go of all 3 buttons as soon as you see the word Samsung on your screen. If you wait too long or let go too soon the phone will not normally. If it boots before flashing team epic root from recovery, you will have to reflash in Odin because it will reinstall stock recovery.

In Odin make sure auto reboot its UNCHECKED. When Odin is finished unplug the phone and pull the battery. Reinstall the battery and boot directly into recovery and flash the team epic file.

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Running into a snag here, no matter the version of Odin I try to run, I always get stuck at "Getting PIT mapping "

Trouble shooting I've taken:
-made sure usb debugging enabled
-swapped usb cords
-swapped ports
-un install/reinstall drivers
-reboot phone/pc

Any ideas?

Using an older Panasonic ToughBook running windows xp if this helps.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Running into a snag here, no matter the version of Odin I try to run, I always get stuck at "Getting PIT mapping "

Trouble shooting I've taken:
-made sure usb debugging enabled
-swapped usb cords
-swapped ports
-un install/reinstall drivers
-reboot phone/pc

Any ideas?

Using an older Panasonic ToughBook running windows xp if this helps.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

Are connecting your phone to a usb hub or directly to the computer?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Directly into computer.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Skyblue Tapatalk 2

I have never seen the get pit for mapping issue... Someone else is having that issue now as well. Im not sure what's going on. If you have another computer available, try that.... I will see if I can find out...

Do you have kies installed on your phone or computer? If so remove it from both. odin and kies conflicts with one another.

Most people I've talked to says it's the cable or port.

Last edited:

dmolavi

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
If I already had my phone rooted with this method on LJ7, will applying the OTA lose root? If so, what's the best way to get the latest update w/o losing root and all my data?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site

wally#AC

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
Could you explain this a little bit more i'm a noob running v. 4.1.1 build LJ7. Will this new medthod help with issues with wifi tether (TreE Mod)?
Thanks

Since you are already rooted, you would have to delete these two files below.

/system/ect/install-recovery.sh & system/recovery-from-boot.p

Then you could just flash recovery.zip in Odin on your computer. And that would be it. Because if you were to delete those files, you wouldn't need to flash the Team Epic Root From recovery zip.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Could you explain this a little bit more i'm a noob running v. 4.1.1 build LJ7. Will this new medthod help with issues with wifi tether (TreE Mod)?
Thanks

This is not a new method. If you are already rooted using this guide then you don't need to delete those files. Team epic root from recovery does it for you.

You must be rooted to use the TreE Mod. The best fix for the Wi-Fi hack it to install SuperSU from the play store after rooting.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
What is the difference between the cwm and the twrp recovery

The most noticable difference is the user interface and how they save backups and date backups.

1. TWRP will recognize sd cards formatted with the exfat file system, cwm won't.
2. TWRP saves your complete backup into one file and you can choose to have the backup compressed to save space. CWM saves your backup to two folders one for the system and a separate data folder that is shared with all the backups.
3. TWRP backs up your efs folder and CWM doesn't (at least it didn't the last time I used it.)
4. TWRP can be used with custom installers like Aroma and Updater apps and CWM can't.

A lot of people simply use what they are accustom to. I used both I and find TWRP is better option for me and what I do. Give them both a try and decide for yourself which is right for you.

tommy_2

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
tried rooting again. can't get it to stick. Duff factory reset. different cables. bought a new sd card. when I do it it says passes but when I go into recovery nothing there. anybody??