Hairline scratches on the rear

avenuePad

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I already have some very minor hairline scratches, but I expect it. We can't keep these things mint forever. I learn to love my war wounds. Gives it character. :D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

mr.rickeyk

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine for almost two months now. Naked except for the film on the back that the phone shipped with. Had a case on it for maybe two days before I took it off because I hated how it made the phone look and feel. If my Nexus isn't in my pocket, it's on a flat surface (usually on paper or something) away from edges, or in my car dock. Not a scratch on it, except for some very tiny hairline ones on the top "chrome" bezel.

Disappointing that yours is cracked, but it didn't magically happen because it was poorly made. Some undue stress was placed on your phone, likely when it was in your pocket. Hopefully your back protector will help keep the crack from growing.

I've had my S2 for almost 2 years and didn't use a case or screen protector, and it's in pristine condition. I've had this less than a week and haven't put any undue stress on it, haven't dropped it, and always lay it down with care. I did this because of other stories out there of how even the smallest of drops can shatter your back glass panel. I carried my S2 in my pocket and never had issues, so if having it in your pocket causes stresses on the back panel just after a week, then I beg to differ.

If I had tossed it on the table or dropped it on my carpeted floor, I wouldn't have even posted this because I would have known the cause.

I was just reading another blog today. I think it's called Android Power, but anyway... he was giving his review after using the device for 2 months and his only real complaint was the hairline cracks on the back of his Nexus 4.

To bad they couldn't have used Gorilla Glass on the back, because I love the look of it. But it is what it is.

What's funny is I started searching on how to stop a run in glass when I stumbled across all these other stories of the hairline cracks on just the back of the Nexus 4.

Makes me wonder if sitting down with this in your front pocket is just to much pressure on the back glass panel, if that causes stress fractures? Because that's the only thing I can think I've done....

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Go Ogle

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'll take my case off when a new phone I want has an official release date. Will probably be the motorola x or next nexus

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I already have some very minor hairline scratches, but I expect it. We can't keep these things mint forever. I learn to love my war wounds. Gives it character. :D

Couldn't agree more and is why I buy my devices used especially if a good deal because I'd rather get a device with a little wear and tear not have to stress over the device getting that "first blemish".

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
To bad they couldn't have used Gorilla Glass on the back, because I love the look of it. But it is what it is.

What's funny is I started searching on how to stop a run in glass when I stumbled across all these other stories of the hairline cracks on just the back of the Nexus 4.

Makes me wonder if sitting down with this in your front pocket is just to much pressure on the back glass panel, if that causes stress fractures? Because that's the only thing I can think I've done....

I agree, whatever they used on the back is not as durable as Gorilla Glass. That was probably a poor design decision that did not live up to whatever economic benefit they gained.

As for the pocket thing, I didn't mean to suggest that your pocket is a dangerous place for a smartphone. What I meant (and you nodded to) was the possibility of putting stress on the phone by accident through your own movements. Catching the phone between your thigh and hip when sitting down when it's in your front pocket, for example, would stress the middle of the phone. Same thing with having the phone in your back pocket and squatting down, which could also try to bend the phone depending on its position in your pocket.

A phone like the S2 (or S3) with a plastic back would not suffer much from these actions, but a phone with a glass back (like the iPhone 4/4s and the Nexus 4) would naturally be more susceptible to such stress fractures. It sucks that you caught an unlucky break. I suppose my post (and the one before) is meant as a warning to people that you can't treat the N4 like plastic-bodied smartphones, and expect it to remain pristine. Some may call that a flaw or defect, but I simply call it an incentive to be careful with my phone. :)