Has anybody found a good way to turn the Pixel 2 XL flashlight on when the screen is off?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
How should i pronounce it? J. k. rowling is from Scotland. A very different accent. Like a New Yorker vs someone from Mississippi.

I didn't know she was from Scotland! I actually did read all of her very entertaining Harry Potter books and just assumed she was English. I have no problems with "Lumos" and "Nox" on my Pixel 2 XL. I'm originally from the state of Iowa, USA, and I have what's referred to as a neutral midwest accent.

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I just looked up J. K. Rowling in Wikipedia.
She was born in Yate, Gloucestershire, England.
Her nationality is British.
She has a B.A. from the University of Exeter.
She now lives in the 162-acre Killiechassie Estate, near Aberfeldy in Perthshire, Scotland.
When I listen to her speak, I hear an English accent and no trace of a Scottish accent.

Last edited:

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I just looked up J. K. Rowling in Wikipedia.
She was born in Yate, Gloucestershire, England.
Her nationality is British.
She has a B.A. from the University of Exeter.
She now lives in the 162-acre Killiechassie Estate, near Aberfeldy in Perthshire, Scotland.
When I listen to her speak, I hear an English accent and no trace of a Scottish accent.
Ah. I knew there was Scottish in there somewhere. I think she grew up in Scotland as well. There is a neutral English accent known as Recieved Pronounciation which the posh people use. But across England we have a wide range of regional accents. There is London/Essex which sounds like the people speaking it are stupid, then there is a Birmingham/ Black country accent which is really thick. Yorkshire accents are quite rural sounding and the Bristol accent sounds like everyone are farmers. Then we have Northern accents which are really difficult to understand, Scottish, Welsh and Irish accents which are very distinct and even more. Scotland and Ireland have very different accents north and south of their countries as well.

We may be a really small island but we talk really differently within 10s of miles.

My accent is mixed. It has some Birmingham as I grew up in Warwickshire, some Scottish twang from living up there for a few years, definitely some South yorkshire as I live in Chesterfield on the border of South Yorkshire, still some London from living there for 8 years and even a bit of Jamaican Patois because my grandparents spoke it with me. And, I even have a posh voice for dealing with people who need to hear it. Product of 5 years of Private school during my teens!

Knightmayre90

Jan 18, 2018
Visit site
sounds to me like the OP needs to tidy his house, then they'll be no need for the flashlight and he can use the chop chop for stir fries! (joking of course)

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Ah. I knew there was Scottish in there somewhere. I think she grew up in Scotland as well. There is a neutral English accent known as Recieved Pronounciation which the posh people use. But across England we have a wide range of regional accents. There is London/Essex which sounds like the people speaking it are stupid, then there is a Birmingham/ Black country accent which is really thick. Yorkshire accents are quite rural sounding and the Bristol accent sounds like everyone are farmers. Then we have Northern accents which are really difficult to understand, Scottish, Welsh and Irish accents which are very distinct and even more. Scotland and Ireland have very different accents north and south of their countries as well.

We may be a really small island but we talk really differently within 10s of miles.

My accent is mixed. It has some Birmingham as I grew up in Warwickshire, some Scottish twang from living up there for a few years, definitely some South yorkshire as I live in Chesterfield on the border of South Yorkshire, still some London from living there for 8 years and even a bit of Jamaican Patois because my grandparents spoke it with me. And, I even have a posh voice for dealing with people who need to hear it. Product of 5 years of Private school during my teens!

Wikipedia has her growing up in England and not going to Scotland until she was an adult. I just now listened to her interview with Oprah Winfrey on YouTube (excellent!) where she says she went from London to a Scottish hotel to write her last Harry Potter book in order to have some solitude. In that interview her accent sounds to me like a very proper English accent and a delight to listen to. But heck, what does somebody from the state of Iowa, USA, really know about accents in the UK?

Here's a link to the J. K Rowling interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTotbiUjLxw

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
Wikipedia has her growing up in England and not going to Scotland until she was an adult. I just now listened to her interview with Oprah Winfrey on YouTube (excellent!) where she says she went from London to a Scottish hotel to write her last Harry Potter book in order to have some solitude. In that interview her accent sounds to me like a very proper English accent and a delight to listen to. But heck, what does somebody from the state of Iowa, USA, really know about accents in the UK?

Here's a link to the J. K Rowling interview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTotbiUjLxw
Thanks. Tbh I never really followed her or read her books or watched her films. A very proper English Accent would fit her as people who do a lot of interviews often use RP so they can talk clearly. I use it myself when doing telephone canvassing or speaking with people in authority. I save a local accent for when I am talking to ordinary people. Lol

And don't be so hard on yourself. Never been to Iowa but heard it is a nice place. And at least you won't talk like a Texan! (Joke all Texans. I love the place really!)

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. Tbh I never really followed her or read her books or watched her films. A very proper English Accent would fit her as people who do a lot of interviews often use RP so they can talk clearly. I use it myself when doing telephone canvassing or speaking with people in authority. I save a local accent for when I am talking to ordinary people. Lol

And don't be so hard on yourself. Never been to Iowa but heard it is a nice place. And at least you won't talk like a Texan! (Joke all Texans. I love the place really!)

When she became the first book author to become a billionaire it peaked my interest. She's sold over half a billion copies of the Harry Potter books! I needed to know why. So I read her first Harry Potter book. And I was hooked. I read the whole series, and I'm not a youngster. Her books are very well written and I found them very entertaining. I can certainly see why she's the best selling author in history.

dc52ltr

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site

Haha, class reply Kirstein. My reply would have been, "I'm a Geordie and nobody can understand a word I say"

Tyler Ford3

Jan 24, 2019
Visit site
SOLUTION

I had a pixel one and I found this app called torchie, you just click both volume buttons in twice and the flashlight turns on. I now have a pixel 2 and it works just fine. I know this is a late response but I hope it helps you pixel fans :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milaco