Has anyone had their apps auto start after Android 12?

phillthedrill

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
I have a Verizon Note 10+. I force stop apps I don't want to run in the background, but I notice within the same day they automatically start up again. This has only been happening since upgrading to Android 12. When I see the apps running, sometimes I wonder if I forget to force stop but sure enough, it's auto starting. Anyone know how to keep this from happening? I want the apps to run only when I tap to open them.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You may know this already, but this is normal behavior for Android. Remember that with Android, empty RAM is useless RAM -- it's not like Windows. If those apps are actively bogging down the system, then it's more of a problem with how those apps are coded. But otherwise, any app that's automatically opened into RAM should be cached/paused, and therefore not actively using CPU cycles or power.

In fact, if you are in the habit of constantly closing every app, you might actually be adversely affecting the phone's overall performance and battery life, because the system is probably trying to automatically open apps back into RAM after you force close them. The act of reopening an app will take a little more power than just letting it stay cached in RAM, so over time, that adds up.

phillthedrill

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
You may know this already, but this is normal behavior for Android. Remember that with Android, empty RAM is useless RAM -- it's not like Windows. If those apps are actively bogging down the system, then it's more of a problem with how those apps are coded. But otherwise, any app that's automatically opened into RAM should be cached/paused, and therefore not actively using CPU cycles or power.

In fact, if you are in the habit of constantly closing every app, you might actually be adversely affecting the phone's overall performance and battery life, because the system is probably trying to automatically open apps back into RAM after you force close them. The act of reopening an app will take a little more power than just letting it stay cached in RAM, so over time, that adds up.

Yes, I just want to make sure the 3 dating apps I have aren't constantly running in the background. I like to open them, swipe and then force close them so they aren't running in the background. I only check them maybe once a day and don't want them sending me different notifications like, "oops you missed a match" or "buy boost to boost your searches now" throughout the day. The other apps can stay open and go to sleep which is fine. I know it's normal behavior though for Android to leave other apps running as it can slow the phone and watch cycles opening them back up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d