Have a wifi/data question on HTC one

Antmf

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi all I have an HTC one, and love the phone, but my only problem is the following:

I have wifi active and connect to my wifi networks no problem, but when I am outside and I am not in range of my wifi networks my phone wont connect to data with wifi active. If there is a wifi in the area that my phone picks up and I dont have the password for it I have to shut my wifi off before I can connect using data. Shouldn't the phone do that automatically? Please let me know what to do. Thanks...

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I just tried mine and when there are none of my networks in range it just disconnects Wi-Fi. The toggle switch is still on, it just says disconnected where it usually says connected. My mobile data connects just fine.

Hopefully someone here can help you figure out your problem. Maybe back everything up and try a factory reset?

Posted via Android Central App

sparkly flea

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Look in your Settings under "Mobile data". Turn on "Use mobile network data plan when Wi-Fi is unavailable". It is below the "Bluetooth" setting. If already on dunno what the deal is.

Antmf

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Look in your Settings under "Mobile data". Turn on "Use mobile network data plan when Wi-Fi is unavailable". It is below the "Bluetooth" setting. If already on dunno what the deal is.

It is set to on. Allow me to explain more in detail. When not in wifi area my data works fine. But say I am in a cable wifi area like comcast or opt online etc. It shows up as though I am connected to those networks but need a password etc. to log in and due to the fact I don't access the cable wifi. I can't access the internet al all. It seems like it is trying to use wifi and data won't take over because of the cable wifi in area. Then I have to turn wifi off completely to use data. I would think the phone should do that itself. PLease let me know if there is anything else I could do. Thanks...

CyberchickK

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have this same problem! I couldn't figure out what it was doing either. I also have the settings set properly to use data when I can't access wifi. This is very annoying. I can't believe no one else has this problem.

IT NEEDS TO BE FIXED.

(So you're saying you turn wifi OFF in order to use your data?)

Dogs OfWar

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Your phone is connecting to a captive portal for authentication. If you can't authenticate then don't connect to those networks.

Just tell your phone to forget all of the networks that you can't login to. Then it won't connect to them when it sees those SSIDs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays